Dragon Ball Kai 1.0 and 2.0 with Kikuchi non-DB music would've been great

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Kai 1.0 and 2.0 with Kikuchi non-DB music would've been great

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I've been listening to various scores Kikuchi composed for Kamen Rider, Iron King, Doraemon, Dr. Slump, Tiger Mask, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Getter Robo, Barom 1, Kure Kure Takora, etc and they would've been a perfect fit for the series!

I must say, none of these sound the same as the BGMs he produced for Dragon Ball but they feel very familiar and you can always tell it's his music thanks to his uniqueness on incidental music. Toei really missed a great opportunity to make Dragon Ball Kai with Kikuchi better than what they did. What Toei did with the Kikuchi Z BGMs was an absolute butchered mess of a job and I can't even stand it, regardless of how much I love Kikuchi's music.

The one thing that there's loads of, that's Kikuchi tunes and Toei really didn't need to just limit themselves to Z BGMs or stereo ones available. I remember seeing vids of Japan TV using music from Dragon Ball on non-DB content. Using music from other series isn't a bad thing if done right, especially since it's from the same composer so it'd have been right at home.

P.S. It would have been awesome if Kikuchi had composed BGMs for the original Saint Seiya series.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Kai 1.0 and 2.0 with Kikuchi non-DB music would've been great

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 pm

If Kikuchi hadn't retired from Dragon Ball (seemingly exclusively) I'd love to have him compose for Kai and Super. Everything the man composes is excellent and I doubt he'd get considerably worse with age.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu