What is your favorite track from Shunsuke Kikuchi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: What is your favorite track from Shunsuke Kikuchi?

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Torturephile wrote:-M816, which plays during Goku's first transformation as a super saiyan.

-M1109, which plays during Vegeta's Final Flash against Cell and during Goku's first SSJ3 transformation.

-M1120 B, which plays during Freeza's defeat in Namek.
I like your favorites
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Too damned many. But mostly earlier BGMs and variations on main themes.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Too damned many. But mostly earlier BGMs and variations on main themes.
I agree, so on variations on main themes you mean the cha la head cha la variations that played and makafushigi adventure?

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:27 pm

I don't know exactly how this video breaks down into individual tracks, but this compilation of tunes from DBZ Movie 3 has a lot of my favorites in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_ihfXSxJE

Also the genki dama track will always be a favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldMI0KLP8fM
­

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sat May 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Taku128 wrote:I don't know exactly how this video breaks down into individual tracks, but this compilation of tunes from DBZ Movie 3 has a lot of my favorites in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_ihfXSxJE

Also the genki dama track will always be a favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldMI0KLP8fM
So M1002, M1007, and M1020 (fan guess number) (A sign of hope Movie 3), and M1023?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:30 am

Captain-Sora wrote:I tend to gravitate towards the few cues that shows Kikuchi's skill in playing with multiple thematic ideas.

M814A - A pretty memorable mingling of Mystical Adventure and Piccolo's theme in Movie 1. Not much else to be said of this classic piece.

M817 - A rather cool stand off cue. It's actually a rather clever intermingling of a more serious rendition of Gohan's melody and Garlic Jr.'s material. It's used to great effect in the Bardock special.

M1018 - While I do like the distinctive use of silence for most of the battle sequences in Movie 3, it's hard not to feel a bit disappointed over the omission of this particularly neat cue in the final cut. It opens with an upbeat motif that was intended to accompany the scene where Goku takes on Tullece's minions. It then segues into a battle of themes where Piccolo's material gets "overwhelmed" by Tullece's own leitmotif, just as the sequence shows the former trying to take on the latter opponent while Goku's occupied. It then returns to the upbeat motif as Goku defeats his opponents.

M1021 - Also from Movie 3. We hear a more soft rendition of that unused Goku motif from the above cue, interspersed with the Tree of Might theme and some tense showdown music.

The Tragic Battle - A battle piece that features some clever interplay of a handful of ideas. The horns play a fragmented form of the Goku leitmotif (reappearing in Goku!! The Indomitable Fighting Spirit, M1529B, and even later film scores), and the theme from The Scheme's Final Moments is interspersed throughout it, giving this battle piece a sense of urgency as the comet is closing in. Broly's leitmotif is featured a bit too.

Other favourites are:
Piccolo Battles Sansho
Battle rendition of Garlic Jr.'s theme
Gohan thinking about Piccolo in Movie 2
The Bio-Fighter's introduction
Movie 3's Genki Dama theme
Goku going Super Saiyan 3 in Movie 12
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:M1914 (which I would call "evil Boo's theme", though it is from movie 11).
It's funny how that would up becoming attached to Buu when they began using it in the show. On the surface, it fits, as it's a pretty sinister sounding piece that reflects the goo-y nature of Bio Broly, thus matching the gum-like and sometimes goo-y attributes of Buu. However, given that it's another one of the many arrangements of the Saiyan theme, an idea that originates from the very beginning of the Z series and is typically utilized for Super Saiyan-related transformations and fights in the movies, it just comes off as weird when one is aware of that thematic connection. It's very common for movie leitmotifs to be attached to completely different characters for the show, but given that this Saiyan idea has its roots lying in the series itself, having that particular rendition suddenly be given to Buu feels odd. It's like if Yoda's theme suddenly started being used for Han Solo scenes.
Bit of a necropost, but I really appreciate your analysis of the score...it never once dawned on me, for example, that the song during the Gohan/Garlic Jr. standoff was a variant of Gohan's theme...and now that you pointed it out I can completely hear it! And it was obvious, too!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I don't know what the codename for the song is, and apparently it's an unreleased track, but the first one in this video is a kinda meh MIDI arrangement of my favourite Kikuchi track.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I don't know what the codename for the song is, and apparently it's an unreleased track, but the first one in this video is a kinda meh MIDI arrangement of my favourite Kikuchi track.
Ah, I like that track as well!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I don't know what the codename for the song is, and apparently it's an unreleased track, but the first one in this video is a kinda meh MIDI arrangement of my favourite Kikuchi track.
Ah, the Flying Nimbus track! Love that one, my favourite use of it is when Goku gets a new one from Korin, and we hear it for the first time in what turns out to be a LONG while, like before the RRA-HQ attack long. It's almost like Goku's found his happiness again, or something.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:40 pm

My favorite Kikuchi track is definitely "The Fearsome Ginyu Special Corps" (this particular part). I don't know how prevalent it was in the series, but this is what automatically comes to my mind when I think of a fight in DBZ. I do like a lot of his tracks, though. I also really like "Believe In Tomorrow". That's not counting the intros/outros (I really love "We Gotta Power" and "Angel").

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:My favorite Kikuchi track is definitely "The Fearsome Ginyu Special Corps" (this particular part). I don't know how prevalent it was in the series, but this is what automatically comes to my mind when I think of a fight in DBZ. I do like a lot of his tracks, though. I also really like "Believe In Tomorrow". That's not counting the intros/outros (I really love "We Gotta Power" and "Angel").
I wish M814 (The Fearsome Ginyu Special Crops" was played a lot more throughout the DBZ series, never was a big fan of Believe in Tomorrow