What is your favorite track from Shunsuke Kikuchi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

What is your favorite track from Shunsuke Kikuchi?

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 pm

So I was wondering what are people's favorite tracks from Shunsuke Kikuchi so tell me, what are your favorite tracks from the Kikuchi score?
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: What is your favorite track from Shunsuke Kikuchi?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm

It is very hard to pick one single favorite, but the first one that comes to my mind is Piccolo's (various) theme(s). I also have a soft spot for any track from DBZ movie 3, as that's what introduced me to Kikuchi's work in the first place.

Then there is M1308 ("Cell's theme" to me, although it is from DBZ movie 6) and M1914 (which I would call "evil Boo's theme", though it is from movie 11).

Last but definitely not least, some absolutely wonderful tunes from the Red Ribbon arc: "Climbing the Tower" and what I would call "General Blue's theme".
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:It is very hard to pick one single favorite, but the first one that comes to my mind is Piccolo's (various) theme(s). I also have a soft spot for any track from DBZ movie 3, as that's what introduced me to Kikuchi's work in the first place.

Then there is M1308 ("Cell's theme" to me, although it is from DBZ movie 6) and M1914 (which I would call "evil Boo's theme", though it is from movie 11).

Last but definitely not least, some absolutely wonderful tunes from the Red Ribbon arc: "Climbing the Tower" and what I would call "General Blue's theme".
I have at least 6 favorites which is M1109 M1418 M1312
Baron Jagar Badda's Scheme M1824 and last but not least M1307

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Hard to pick a favorite, but I love a lot of the unreleased tracks from the original DB ('86-'89).

An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFnLL73EuGQ

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 am

It's hard to choose any tracks among all of these great cues. However, I tend to gravitate towards more soothing and emotional music. I guess these 3 would be my favorite:

M819B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBu2k6eMz0

M1420: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MPN5dF-Aw

M316 (?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7tLLY9vMvA

I think if I were to really choose one of those, it would be M1420.

Also, some criticize the use of M819B in DBZ episode 35 in the scene when Goku lets Vegeta go as in their opinion the cue inappropriately seems to suggest that it was a heroic act on Goku's part and not a selfish one. Well, in my opinion, this track fits the scene perfectly! One can feel the pathos of Goku's inherent passion for improving himself despite all the problems that such a decision may cause for others. This wonderful clash of interests and Goku's continuous insistence on having his way is captured beautifully by this moving piece.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am

This is impossible to give one simple answer since Kikuchi composed so many beautiful masterpieces for various series and movies throughout his entire career. I can't answer the question but I can say which are my favorite Kikuchi series scores:

Getter Robo, Doraemon, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Kure Kure Takora, Shin Tenchi in Tokyo, Tosho Daimos, Kamen Raider, Dr. Slump, Tiger Mask and Dragon Ball/Z. Just to name a few.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:26 am

I've always loved G7. It's so bouncy and full of life. Just imagine it being used for when Beers terrifies Vegeta by appearing or something humorous like that! I9 would also be nice for an episode like Dragon Ball Super #16, which is laid-back and fun. Oh, what about I17 being used for Episode #2?! M10 would be great set to the scene of Pan flying in space! Think of M16 used during the Tournament of Power!! M106 is one of those nice Red Ribbon Army arc pieces I'd love to one day see set to the resurrection of Cell since it wasn't used for his arc in Dragon Ball Z. M109 would be great to see used during some of the scheming parts of the Tournament of Power arc, too. Imagine M309 playing when Black and Zamasu are revealed to be one!

There are just way too many pieces to love from Kikuchi, therefore I shall just fall back on a generic answer: M1307! It's high-speed fun!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am

JulieYBM wrote:I've always loved G7. It's so bouncy and full of life. Just imagine it being used for when Beers terrifies Vegeta by appearing or something humorous like that! I9 would also be nice for an episode like Dragon Ball Super #16, which is laid-back and fun. Oh, what about I17 being used for Episode #2?! M10 would be great set to the scene of Pan flying in space! Think of M16 used during the Tournament of Power!! M106 is one of those nice Red Ribbon Army arc pieces I'd love to one day see set to the resurrection of Cell since it wasn't used for his arc in Dragon Ball Z. M109 would be great to see used during some of the scheming parts of the Tournament of Power arc, too. Imagine M309 playing when Black and Zamasu are revealed to be one!

There are just way too many pieces to love from Kikuchi, therefore I shall just fall back on a generic answer: M1307! It's high-speed fun!
I love m109 too I should have added that to my favorites, I might do a kikuchi project on super who knows

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 am

JulieYBM wrote:I've always loved G7. It's so bouncy and full of life. Just imagine it being used for when Beers terrifies Vegeta by appearing or something humorous like that! I9 would also be nice for an episode like Dragon Ball Super #16, which is laid-back and fun. Oh, what about I17 being used for Episode #2?! M10 would be great set to the scene of Pan flying in space! Think of M16 used during the Tournament of Power!! M106 is one of those nice Red Ribbon Army arc pieces I'd love to one day see set to the resurrection of Cell since it wasn't used for his arc in Dragon Ball Z. M109 would be great to see used during some of the scheming parts of the Tournament of Power arc, too. Imagine M309 playing when Black and Zamasu are revealed to be one!

I think m1312 or m1418 would be a good track to put if zamasu and black fused

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm

IHaveNoUserName wrote:I think m1312 or m1418 would be a good track to put if zamasu and black fused
If you used Kikuchi's other non-DB tunes on Dragon Ball content, that'd be a breath of fresh air because all that everyone does is just slap Kikuchi DB BGMs which we've all heard. Non-DB BGMs would spruce up things a bit and it's something that TOEI could have possibly done for Kai but I guess that'd take them too much time and resources.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:56 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:I think m1312 or m1418 would be a good track to put if zamasu and black fused
If you used Kikuchi's other non-DB tunes on Dragon Ball content, that'd be a breath of fresh air because all that everyone does is just slap Kikuchi DB BGMs which we've all heard. Non-DB BGMs would spruce up things a bit and it's something that TOEI could have possibly done for Kai but I guess that'd take them too much time and resources.
Toei had the worst placement for kai all they did was spam m1307

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:59 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
And yeah I should probably listen to his non dragon ball bgm

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:40 am

I tend to gravitate towards the few cues that shows Kikuchi's skill in playing with multiple thematic ideas.

M814A - A pretty memorable mingling of Mystical Adventure and Piccolo's theme in Movie 1. Not much else to be said of this classic piece.

M817 - A rather cool stand off cue. It's actually a rather clever intermingling of a more serious rendition of Gohan's melody and Garlic Jr.'s material. It's used to great effect in the Bardock special.

M1018 - While I do like the distinctive use of silence for most of the battle sequences in Movie 3, it's hard not to feel a bit disappointed over the omission of this particularly neat cue in the final cut. It opens with an upbeat motif that was intended to accompany the scene where Goku takes on Tullece's minions. It then segues into a battle of themes where Piccolo's material gets "overwhelmed" by Tullece's own leitmotif, just as the sequence shows the former trying to take on the latter opponent while Goku's occupied. It then returns to the upbeat motif as Goku defeats his opponents.

M1021 - Also from Movie 3. We hear a more soft rendition of that unused Goku motif from the above cue, interspersed with the Tree of Might theme and some tense showdown music.

The Tragic Battle - A battle piece that features some clever interplay of a handful of ideas. The horns play a fragmented form of the Goku leitmotif (reappearing in Goku!! The Indomitable Fighting Spirit, M1529B, and even later film scores), and the theme from The Scheme's Final Moments is interspersed throughout it, giving this battle piece a sense of urgency as the comet is closing in. Broly's leitmotif is featured a bit too.

Other favourites are:
Piccolo Battles Sansho
Battle rendition of Garlic Jr.'s theme
Gohan thinking about Piccolo in Movie 2
The Bio-Fighter's introduction
Movie 3's Genki Dama theme
Goku going Super Saiyan 3 in Movie 12
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:M1914 (which I would call "evil Boo's theme", though it is from movie 11).
It's funny how that would up becoming attached to Buu when they began using it in the show. On the surface, it fits, as it's a pretty sinister sounding piece that reflects the goo-y nature of Bio Broly, thus matching the gum-like and sometimes goo-y attributes of Buu. However, given that it's another one of the many arrangements of the Saiyan theme, an idea that originates from the very beginning of the Z series and is typically utilized for Super Saiyan-related transformations and fights in the movies, it just comes off as weird when one is aware of that thematic connection. It's very common for movie leitmotifs to be attached to completely different characters for the show, but given that this Saiyan idea has its roots lying in the series itself, having that particular rendition suddenly be given to Buu feels odd. It's like if Yoda's theme suddenly started being used for Han Solo scenes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:35 am

Easy, this one at 1:22. It's rooted in early Dragon Ball, it has a sense of looking forward to the next adventure, and it plays when Goku is riding with Bulma on the bike (my favourite vehicle in the series) as he departs Mount Paozu to explore the wider world for the first time.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 am

IHaveNoUserName wrote:And yeah I should probably listen to his non dragon ball bgm
The Sakigake score syncs well up with the Movie 13 BGM score. If TOEI had mixed the two, I'd have not noticed one wasn't from Dragon Ball.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 am

Anything that doesn't have slide whistles or jaw harps in it. :lol:

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:12 pm

MrTennek wrote:Anything that doesn't have slide whistles or jaw harps in it. :lol:
M1020? M1312? M740? M707?

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:33 pm

My absolute favourite ost in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGruB6Ab4m0
My English is poor .

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:40 am

-M816, which plays during Goku's first transformation as a super saiyan.

-M1109, which plays during Vegeta's Final Flash against Cell and during Goku's first SSJ3 transformation.

-M1120 B, which plays during Freeza's defeat in Namek.