Dragon Soul vs Cha La Head Cha La

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Soul vs Cha La Head Cha La

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread for this, but I honestly want to see your opinions on this, and that I'm putting out a feeler for whether I should swap the rock remix of cha la in my rescore for Dragon Soul again.

Whatever version you prefer, whether it's the Vic version of Dragon Soul, the FLOW version of Cha La, the original, etc. I'd like to see what you all think and why.

For a while I really preferred the rock remix of Cha la, which is why I used it to replace dragon soul in my music rescore, but having listened to the vic version of Dragon Soul it's really growing on me to the point where I could go either way

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Soul vs Cha La Head Cha La

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread for this, but I honestly want to see your opinions on this, and that I'm putting out a feeler for whether I should swap the rock remix of cha la in my rescore for Dragon Soul again.

Whatever version you prefer, whether it's the Vic version of Dragon Soul, the FLOW version of Cha La, the original, etc. I'd like to see what you all think and why.

For a while I really preferred the rock remix of Cha la, which is why I used it to replace dragon soul in my music rescore, but having listened to the vic version of Dragon Soul it's really growing on me to the point where I could go either way
Its hard to say, but since I was exposed to the nicktoons kai dub first I'd have to say Vic's version of dragon soul
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 pm

It's hard for me to say, but I'm leaning on Dragon Soul over Cha-La Head-Cha-La. Also prefer Kuu Zen Zetsu Go to We Gotta Power but that's neither here nor there.

I can certainly make a list of what versions of each song I prefer.

Dragon Soul

Takayoshi Tanimoto > Vic Mignogna > Sean Schemmel > Every other English version sang by the cast (Sonny Strait etc)

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

Hironobu Kageyama > Flow > Whatever else versions there are
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:54 am

Head Cha La in just about any incarnation over any and all versions of Dragon Soul by far. Head Cha La was never one of my favorite DB theme songs, but it is LIGHTYEARS upon galaxies superior to Dragon Soul, which is easily one of the all time single worst DB theme songs ever and is just unlistenably, downright punchably annoying in and of itself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Dragon Soul's a very enjoyable listen, but I think I like Cha-La Head Cha-La a little more. That said, I really wish, like Dragon Soul, we got an English cover of Head Cha-La; the fanmade covers out there aren't all that satisfactory in my opinion.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:50 pm

I was never a fan of Cha La Head Cha La. If it wasn't the main DBZ opening that everyone talks about I probably would have just forgotten about it, it's just that unmemorable to me, and feels extremely dated.
Dragon Soul is a lot more upbeat and fun to me, It's more modern as well, which fits for Kai, the "modern cut" of DBZ.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Limit Break x Survivor >>>> both

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue May 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:Limit Break x Survivor >>>> both
Oh yeah, 100% this. Limit Break x Survivor is my favorite opening by far. It's so high energy!

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Wed May 02, 2018 9:41 am

I'm pretty biased because Kai was my first exposure to Dragon Ball, but I've always loved Dragon Soul. It just feels like such a "Dragon Ball" song, with the super high energy and fun sound of the song. There are days where I like it more than Cha La Head Cha La, but I think generally I would still say Cha La is better. It's just a classic at this point and has the same things that make Dragon Soul great to varying degrees.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:34 am

I really like "Dragon Soul" a lot more. More specifically, I really like the English version of "Dragon Soul." I know the words are not so accurate, but that's okay with me. There's something gripping about it and makes me excited to watch the episode. "CHA-LA" was done well, but I guess I heard it 10 billion times, so the effect wore off.

A21Fan

Post by A21Fan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 am

I like the german Cha la Head Cha la a lot. (heavily biased because i grew up with the german dub) :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:41 am

A21Fan wrote:I like the german Cha la Head Cha la a lot. (heavily biased because i grew up with the german dub) :)
The first time I was exposed to "Cha La" was in 1998 and it was in Spanish lol So, I completely understand where you're coming from lol