Kikuchi Tracks from Mono To Stereo

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Kikuchi Tracks from Mono To Stereo

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:32 pm

So I have been some audio experimenting with some kikuchi tracks, I always wanted to see what kikuchi's mono tracks to stereo would be so I decided to make some of his tracks to stereo
if you guys want to check it out https://drive.google.com/open?id=127HuT ... 7PXBDyfJ6n
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Kikuchi Tracks from Mono To Stereo

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm pretty sure all of Kikuchi's cues were recorded and mixed in stereo, they were just downmixed to mono in the episode(Or movie) mixes in pretty much every case. All the CD releases and such use the proper stereo mixes.

So, I'm curious what the source is on these tracks if they're only in mono?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'm pretty sure all of Kikuchi's cues were recorded and mixed in stereo, they were just downmixed to mono in the episode(Or movie) mixes in pretty much every case. All the CD releases and such use the proper stereo mixes.

So, I'm curious what the source is on these tracks if they're only in mono?
I believe tracks from Dbz Movie 1 and Movie 4 are mono, I Think that the others I have done are mono but I could be wrong, Kei mentoined that M814 (Part of movie 1 tracks) and M1109 (Movie 4 Track) is in mono so I thought that all the tracks in that specific movie were in mono, this is what Kei17 said about Mono pieces being used in Dbz Kai replacement score when they played M1801 " In addition, if they intend to use such a mono-mixed piece, I wonder why they don't use other mono pieces such as M814 and M1109"
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'm pretty sure all of Kikuchi's cues were recorded and mixed in stereo, they were just downmixed to mono in the episode(Or movie) mixes in pretty much every case. All the CD releases and such use the proper stereo mixes.
I'm not so sure, there are a BUNCH of tracks that I can only seem to find in mono. Kinda frustrating actually.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Nippon Columbia released "TV Cartoon DRAGON BALL Music Collection (TV Original Soundtrack)" on vinyl on 1986-04-21. It contained 12 tracks of mostly BGM medleies, all in stereo. Sadly there was no second volume. It wasn't till 1994-04-01 that we'd get any more DB BGM with the "DRAGONBALL & DRAGON BALL Z Great Complete Collection"". They took the 12 tracks from the previous release and added 12 more. Unfortunately, five years after the show ended, Columbia only had on hand mono versions of the music not already released on a purchasable format. So the 12 new tracks they added were all mono. The story is likely similar for DBZ. I remember some of the movies having mono music despite them (I think) being stereo on the Dragon Box the Movies release.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Nippon Columbia released "TV Cartoon DRAGON BALL Music Collection (TV Original Soundtrack)" on vinyl on 1986-04-21. It contained 12 tracks of mostly BGM medleies, all in stereo. Sadly there was no second volume. It wasn't till 1994-04-01 that we'd get any more DB BGM with the "DRAGONBALL & DRAGON BALL Z Great Complete Collection"". They took the 12 tracks from the previous release and added 12 more. Unfortunately, five years after the show ended, Columbia only had on hand mono versions of the music not already released on a purchasable format. So the 12 new tracks they added were all mono. The story is likely similar for DBZ. I remember some of the movies having mono music despite them (I think) being stereo on the Dragon Box the Movies release.
The Dragon Box Movies audio was only actually stereo for the last Z movie, and the 10th anniversary movie.

The music from all the movies tends to circulate in mono because all the movies starting from the first Z one were released on Laserdisc, and they included a music-only track. I believe the last Z movie's music-only track was stereo, possibly the 10th anniversary movie too, but all the rest were mono only.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Nippon Columbia released "TV Cartoon DRAGON BALL Music Collection (TV Original Soundtrack)" on vinyl on 1986-04-21. It contained 12 tracks of mostly BGM medleies, all in stereo. Sadly there was no second volume. It wasn't till 1994-04-01 that we'd get any more DB BGM with the "DRAGONBALL & DRAGON BALL Z Great Complete Collection"". They took the 12 tracks from the previous release and added 12 more. Unfortunately, five years after the show ended, Columbia only had on hand mono versions of the music not already released on a purchasable format. So the 12 new tracks they added were all mono. The story is likely similar for DBZ. I remember some of the movies having mono music despite them (I think) being stereo on the Dragon Box the Movies release.
Wow, so that's why. Man that sucks, the stereo tracks are some of my all-time favourites but there's a lot of ones I love that are in mono too.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The Dragon Box Movies audio was only actually stereo for the last Z movie, and the 10th anniversary movie.

The music from all the movies tends to circulate in mono because all the movies starting from the first Z one were released on Laserdisc, and they included a music-only track. I believe the last Z movie's music-only track was stereo, possibly the 10th anniversary movie too, but all the rest were mono only.
Oh, okay. That must be what it was. I don't own them, so I wouldn't know.
KBABZ wrote:Wow, so that's why. Man that sucks, the stereo tracks are some of my all-time favourites but there's a lot of ones I love that are in mono too.
Yeah, It's a shame indeed. That and all the songs that went unreleased. And the thing is, I don't know if it's that Columbia doesn't have the means to make stereo versions, or if they just don't feel like bothering...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."