Which Dragon Ball composers would "mix"?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Which Dragon Ball composers would "mix"?

Post by Fizzer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 am

By mix, I mean music from different composers could be used in the same series or episode without sounding wrong to someone who is unfamiliar with the music in question. No matter how well the styles blend it would probably be jarring to those who are intimately familiar with the pieces.

Kikuchi I think stands alone as having a very distinctive style. Try to put Kikuchi tracks alongside Yamamoto, Sumimoto, anything else and they'll stick out like a sore thumb.

The Faulconer, Johnson and Levi scores could all be used together fairly seamlessly. I really don't think many people would hear a score made up of the three and think "there are pieces from three different composers here".

If done right, the Yamamoto and Sumimoto could possibly blend into a single soundtrack with it being noticeable. Maybe Tokunaga could mix with those pretty well too.

What are your thoughts on this?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which Dragon Ball composers would "mix"?

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am

Hmm, Kikuchi is this old school Japanese composer... He would probably mix great with Seiji Yokoyama (RIP sadly) who did outstanding work on Super Sentai, Captain Harlock and Saint Seiya series.
Kikuchi did Sentai shows as well, but these two are really distinctive still, with Kikuchi having this really old movie, wushu and western style and Yokoyama did lot of orchestral and Wagnerian epic works.

From these oldschool composers, Kohei Tanaka that does One Piece is simmilar and does good job or Toshihiko Sahashi (Gundam Seed, Hunter X Hunter), who does OK job by stepping over Yokoyama in recent Saint Seiya series. Naruto as well has distinct and cool soundtrack.

Sadly, no other DB composers mixes for me. I think that Akihito Tokunaga had great and interesting soundtrack for Dragon Ball GT.
Sadly, Sumitomo for me is pretty bland and uninteresting even as his work got better in later Super arcs.

To answer the question, I think that it is impossible to mix them. For me, Kenji Yamamoto got closest to the spirit of the show and Kikuchi.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Sumitomo and yamamoto could work nicely
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Shunsuke Kikuchi and Akihito Tokunaga would go along really well. Sumitomo and Faulconer, both of these are eh and meh, and a mixture of the two could perhaps make their music more bearable to listen to.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Shunsuke Kikuchi and Akihito Tokunaga would go along really well. Sumitomo and Faulconer, both of these are eh and meh, and a mixture of the two could perhaps make their music more bearable to listen to.
I could see Sumimoto and Faulconer working actually. Weird thing is I can also see Sumimoto and Yamamoto going together but not Yamamoto and Faulconer. Maybe it is because Sumimoto is so un-distinctive.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 am

I think Sumitomo and Faulconer both have the same problem of having some really stand-out great tracks, but the majority of their scores being made up of the forgettable filler tracks they had to fill out the rest of their soundtracks with...
So, combine those and use the best tracks of each composer, and I think you could have something really neat; they have a fairly similar sound to them in general, so... It could work.
Only potential issue there is that the Faulconer tracks' production was a bit iffy in places in terms of the instrument sounds being very MIDI-ish.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.