Is most of the DB Music lost? / Any news about Kikuchi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Is most of the DB Music lost? / Any news about Kikuchi?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 pm

When I say "lost", there's a ton of BGMs of Dragon Ball and Z that were never released on CD and even with the effort of fans to make it available, it just doesn't sound as good as it could be. I really hope that Columbia Japan releases it because that shit needs to be preserved, seriously.

As for the second question, are there any? I never read anything about Mr. Shunsuke Kikuchi, even if it's just about how he's doing after all this time and in his old age. Why does it matter? He's the Man who created the masterpiece score for Dragon Ball and Z so something as simple as that it's still worthwhile knowing.

Here's hoping he's doing great.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Is most of the DB Music lost? / Any news about Kikuchi?

Post by Tian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Didn't Toei get rid of the original audio masters? Or am I wrong?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Well, as far I know, the last news about Kikuchi is that his Z released soundtracks were used in the Japan exclusive arcade game Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle, before this, after Z was finished, his tracks were used in that rare 2007 Special and in the 2008 OVA, some of his musics from Classic DB and Z, along with some insert songs, were also remixed for Sparking! Meteor, the Japanese version of Budokai Tenkaichi 3, well, these were the last events with Kikuchi, at first, I thought that Toei would use his released soundtracks for the new Broly movie, but Sumitomo is still there, I believe that Toei had lost his released tracks, and about Columbia to release the unreleased tracks, sorry but I'm really sure this will never happen, I'm a huge fan of Kikuchi, but I prefer to believe that his tracks were sadly lost forever...
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am

Rafa Fast wrote:Well, as far I know, the last news about Kikuchi is that his Z released soundtracks were used in the Japan exclusive arcade game Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle, before this, after Z was finished, his tracks were used in that rare 2007 Special and in the 2008 OVA, some of his musics from Classic DB and Z, along with some insert songs, were also remixed for Sparking! Meteor, the Japanese version of Budokai Tenkaichi 3, well, these were the last events with Kikuchi, at first, I thought that Toei would use his released soundtracks for the new Broly movie, but Sumitomo is still there, I believe that Toei had lost his released tracks, and about Columbia to release the unreleased tracks, sorry but I'm really sure this will never happen, I'm a huge fan of Kikuchi, but I prefer to believe that his tracks were sadly lost forever...
I remember watching the 2007 Special back then but didn't think much of it then, now it's considered "rare"? That's kinda strange, to be honest.

The 2008 Special was way better but the 2007's animation looks very similar to what we're getting on DB Super Movie 1. :)

ManuGem

Post by ManuGem » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:When I say "lost", there's a ton of BGMs of Dragon Ball and Z that were never released on CD and even with the effort of fans to make it available, it just doesn't sound as good as it could be. I really hope that Columbia Japan releases it because that shit needs to be preserved, seriously.
Any news about Kikuchi ?
As for the second question, are there any?
Although his music is known and appreciated by many people, and although he received some awards in Japan, it seems paradoxically difficult to find information about him. For example I tried to see if there were interviews or things like that, including on Japanese websites, and I did not find.

I also said that it is I who created his page on the wikipedia in french (even there is another person who completed it, later), I wanted at least that this page exists even if I was relatively poorly documented ... And I was helped by records of CD records, IMDB, translations from various sites here and there, and even just with my ears (some comments on his style from what I knew ): it's better than nothing, but I would have liked to do something more consequent.

I understood (but not totally certain, so be careful), in a short youtube excerpt from a concert about his music in Japan, that when he decided to take a break from his composing activities, he also had to undergo medical treatment.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:48 am

I hope the music is not lost. I hope that one day they release all of the music composed for Dragon Ball from the original series to GT (I loved Tokunaga's work). Preservation is important. I wish Toei understood that.