Episode #0209 (14 February 2010)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0209 (14 February 2010)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Episode #0209 (download MP3) (rss feed)
39:38; 64 kbps, mono; 18.1 MB

Episode #0209! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss jokes in the series based on the mispronunciation of a character's name. Remember such characters as Tenka-ichi Budokai competitors Mago Gosora and Gyoza...? Domestic "Kai" release news (including some dub recasts), February's releases, and a whole lot more rounds out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the never-thought-we'd-get-there *two-hundred-nine* episodes, now.

Yes, we recorded a quick news insert covering today's "Kai" announcements from FUNimation. No worries... it's in there!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Re: Episode #0209 (14 February 2010)

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Hey Mike, on the podcast page, you put Week of 07 February 2010.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 am

With regards to Dustin's e-mail, I've personally never liked that Viz split the manga up into DB and DBZ either. As far as I know the English translation of the manga is the only one that does that, and I think it further ingrains in people the idea that DB and DBZ are completely different entities (with DB being all gags and adventure, and DBZ being all fighting). With "DragonBall Z Kai", while it is an extremely minor change, this does mark the first time that a DB anime series has had a different name for its English dub, so I think that's at least notable. Is it a terrible change that will ruin the series? No, but I think it's less than ideal and I don't see what's wrong about saying so.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 am

It's the return of Robo-Julian! XD

I had no idea about "satosky". I remember someone by that name from a loooong time ago and had no clue it was another variation on how you could read the symbols for Son Goku.

Didn't Goku mispronounce turtle's name in the Jump Tour special? They're all on the plane and he mispronounces it (umegame instead of umigame? I forget exactly). Turtle corrects him and everyone's laughing and all "oh Goku, ha ha ha" about it.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 am

What Dub cast was that? I had just watched that scene in the brick sets and that doesn't sound like the Funi voices at all.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 am

I hope, there there is also a mispronouncination of the Grand Kai, saying Goku-ji instead of Ji-Goku (I mean hell of course) and there are other. It's a pity that his character is not in original story. I won't listen to podcast until evening.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:26 am

I cannot be happier with the cast changes. I only wish there were more of them. I have a huge thing for Monica Rial, and can't wait to hear her Bulma. I just wish the new voices won't just be doing impressions of the previous roles.

Dragon Ball Kai is definitely a show that is best televised. It's certainly not worth purchasing the censored Blu-Rays.

Part of the charm of the Japanese version are little eccentricities like pronouncing names wrong, and the English version usually (but understandably) screws it up.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:38 am

MCDaveG wrote:I hope, there there is also a mispronouncination of the Grand Kai, saying Goku-ji instead of Ji-Goku (I mean hell of course) and there are other.
That's not quite the same thing, since he does that on purpose as a personal eccentricity. He's not simply goofing up like Goku or the Tenkaichi Budoukai announcer.
It's a pity that his character is not in original story.
Well, he's mentioned a few times, at least.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:07 am

LeprikanGT wrote:What Dub cast was that? I had just watched that scene in the brick sets and that doesn't sound like the Funi voices at all.
It is the FUNi cast.

Hee Urenai Baba. XD

Dang. I wasn't interested in Dubbed Kai until the voice replacements. Now I'm interested just to hear the new Gohan. -_-. I think it's not really worth buying it, though, what with getting the Dragonbox that covers the same stuff... Gah! :(

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Regarding the "Sato Sky" thing. In the German dub the announcer asks for "Ukog Nos". I BELIEVE it's the same in the German manga translation.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:28 pm

penguintruth wrote: I have a huge thing for Monica Rial, and can't wait to hear her Bulma. I just wish the new voices won't just be doing impressions of the previous roles.
Never heard of her since I don't watched dubbed anime. But looking at the list of voices she did I assume she's good? I just hope I'm not subconsciously attached to Tiffany Volmer.

...and the topic was too damn good to be this short *waves fist*
Ah well, you win some you lose some.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:39 am

In Movie Two Son Gokû confuses "Pichi Pichi Gal" for "Bitchy Bitchy Gag." :p

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 am

Yeah, I just wanted to also add that I have never been supportive of the domestic manga split. Again, just like with Z Kai, I understand the logic (and with Viz, it was twofold in order to release both parts simultaneously), but I still don't like it. I'm certainly not praising one and criticizing the other in the same breath. It's always annoyed me.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 am

I find it funny how you've mentioned correcting my name with the topic of the episode.

Allow me to add the "Mago Gosora" situation from the Arabic. ((Too bad I didn't sooner))

In the dub, the announcer was actually having a hard time trying to read the kanji, and he came up with three names. He said "Geeko" :lol: , "Mago Gogu", "Magaki Getotuka". And he admitted that it's difficult to read.

--

As for Viz splitting the manga... what I hated about it is the simultaneous ((Original and VizBig)) release that made the early volumes of "Z" full of notes like "To find out more about XX, got back to volume ##", and the infamous "Is this the end of Son Goku?! Then how do you explain Dragon Ball Z?!" from DB vol. 4. I hated that.

Especially when they tell us to go back to a volume that have not been released yet. Like in DBZ #1 where they tell us to read the later volumes of Dragon Ball to find out more about Piccolo. How can I do that if they have just started from the beginning?!

It might not be a big deal to us know knew the series very well, but it might be for the new readers who are buying the first parts of DB and DBZ together and then get annoyed by these recurring notes.

Way to spoil things for the readers, Viz.

Golancz was smart enough to release all of Dragon Ball first and then release Dragon Ball Z.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 pm

When my email was being read by Mike, I realized that it sounded a lot more apologetic than what I originally intended. I really meant for it to be more like "hey, this is worth noting" instead of "YOUR MOTHER'S A WHORE!" I also flubbed up some wording at the end. Proof read much?

Anyway, I have to agree with Mike, this was a lot more interesting than what I first thought it would be. It would have been great if there were some more examples because I loved hearing and reading about the Danish adaptations. And Julian... you so smart.

So when's the next DBZ ABCs anyway? As a Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo fan, I demand a plug for that parody. It's Nu. It's relevant to Jelly Jiggler or whatever his Japanese name is.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:07 am

Outside of the manga canon, they actually repeat the Mago Gosora example not long after in some filler. I actually found it quite humorous, for some reason, maybe even more so than the real time it was used. It was when, for some inane reason, Gyuumao and all his villagers expect Goku to return to marry Chichi and mistake Pilaf's flying fortress as Goku's transportation and make a big sign saying, "Welcome Son Goku!" leaving Pilaf to ask, "Who's Mago Gosora?" I don't know. It just cracked me up! Good topic.

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Regarding the one translation of Hattchan's name: True, "8-Man" sounds a lot like "Eat-Man," but y'know what it sounds even more like? This.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:49 am

Just read the Spanish manga [from Spain] The announcer calls him Sanguiko... No fucking clue. Just funny since it sounds like "Geeko"!

Princess Buruma

Post by Princess Buruma » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:37 am

Hi, I just wanted to add some things of the Mexican dub.

1. Hatchan is called Octavio (It's a real name, and it comes from the word "octavo", which means "eighth").

2. Goku calls Uranai Baba "Araña Baba". Araña means spider. I laughed so hard when I heard this ^^

3. Umigame is called Tortuga de mar (Sea Turtle) and Goku once calls him "Tortura de mar" (Sea Torture).

I know there are more but these are all I can remember.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:51 pm

This episode is certainly interesting! I think I would adapt the Goku one in the anime as 'Son Gokou' (pronouncing Son like Sun and Gokou as Go-koh) as a clever nod to that old romanization. Manga wise, I would use the terrible Google 'Sato Sky' translation. I get why it can come out that way but odds are if Son Goku is being put in a translator, either Son Goku or Sun Wukong should be what comes out of it, haha! Otherwise, I would just stick with the original Mago Gosora name.