Episode #0230 (22 August 2010)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0230 (22 August 2010)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:30 am

Episode #0230 (download MP3) (rss feed)
69:34; 96 kbps, mono; 47.7 MB

Episode #0230! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff dive into Volume 35 in our "Manga Review of Awesomeness". The Cell Game finally comes to a close, but do we reflect as fondly on this part of the series as we otherwise thought we might? Little bits of news, August's last few releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Hurray! Tons of content all at once!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Episode #0230 (22 August 2010)

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:01 am

It's great to hear Jeff on the show again.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:10 am

Holy shit, I listened to this right before I went to bed. That message was so creepy! :lol:

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Whoo-hoo finally MROA (Is that the official acronym for it?) time! I wish the question would have been brought up to everyone if they thought the Cell saga would have been a good place to end the series. You guys were leaning towards that but never toppled over to that area of discussion. I know it's a somewhat hotly debated topic here so I was kinda curious to hear all of your stances on that.

I always found the little Trunks special at the end of the volume a really awkward place to put it. I mean it makes sense but it feels bizarre to wrap up once then go back to an issue and wrap up again (if that makes any sense.) The Viz notes were pretty cool here. I think a lot of their bizarre mistranslations come from them trying to phrase things in a more English way as to not make the characters sound robotic. I love Simmons subtitles but sometimes the dialogue feels a little stiff because of how much of a direct translation it is. Unfortunately I believe this leads to them to taking a little too many liberties. (Y'know blatant dialouge censorship aside.)

The whole gun censorship thing is so weird to me. I can even deal with the H word but since when have guns been a taboo thing for VIZ? I've never really seen a VIZ published manga outside of Dragon Ball that decided to censor firearms. If there's one thing VIZ has done that annoys me more then anything it's that. Mainly because I just find it so unnecessary. Even Saban got away with showing firearms as early as the Saiyan saga. (The farmer and I believe the police dog.)

I can't wait to hear about The Otherworld Tournament next time. I've always been very, very indifferent about it so it's nice to hear more opinions on the matter. I am especially curious as to why Pikkon is so beloved.

You guys brought up a good point about the anime pacing. I've never really thought about that before. By the way do you guys have a date set up for the next VG Convo?

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Whoops, guess I didn't exactly phrase that as a question. Thanks for answering my e-mail!

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Just finished listening to the podcast, thought it was great.

Good to hear Jeff after a long while. It's also good to have a normal over 1 hour episode. Full with news, emails, and the works. Can't wait to hear thoughts on Filler arc.

Also Meri could just start doing top 5 manga panels again if no suggestions pop up.

P.S. Don't forget Vgconvos guys.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Great episode. It's nice to hear Jeff on the podcast again, and I can't wait to hear his thoughts on the filler arc.
I want more vgconvos

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm currently listening to the podcast and I just wanted to point out that Goku (and Broly) was unlocked from the start in the French version of Dragon Ball Z 2 (La Légende Saien) on the Super Nintendo. You could still enter the code to unlock him and hear Broly scream, but it was pointless.

TigerPrincess

Post by TigerPrincess » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:41 pm

As per my usual, I listened to this before I went to bed! I laughed in my bed during the end after the end credits. That made my day!
Once again, you guys have released a very awesome podcast. Loved to finally listen to another "Manga Review of Awesomeness"!!
BTW, the second email was from me :P ^.^

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:43 pm

LaRésistance wrote:I'm currently listening to the podcast and I just wanted to point out that Goku (and Broly) was unlocked from the start in the French version of Dragon Ball Z 2 (La Légende Saien) on the Super Nintendo. You could still enter the code to unlock him and hear Broly scream, but it was pointless.
Neato, didn't the French version of Hyper Dimension take out the story mode too? Or am I misremembering things?

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:59 pm

I had no idea it'd been so long since a manga review of awesomeness. I like, listen to a random episode once in a blue moon. To me, it feels like you guys went from 100 episodes to over 200 within like, two months lol.

The last manga review I'd listened to was a Freeza one I think. Or the Androids/Trunks area. Not really sure...

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 am

I dunno if Jeff reads these but I just want to say: I have been a fan of the Otakon AMV Contest opening since it debuted and I had no idea you were the guy who was responsible! Awesome!! I want to download it immediately. <_<

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 am

Sabin Deus wrote:I dunno if Jeff reads these but I just want to say: I have been a fan of the Otakon AMV Contest opening since it debuted and I had no idea you were the guy who was responsible! Awesome!! I want to download it immediately. <_<
I didn't have it to add in the show notes at the time, but Jeff actually just put it up today... so... uhh... enjoy! :)

(That's my computer/desk at my old apartment a few years back where it zooms in on Premiere :P)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Sabin Deus wrote:I dunno if Jeff reads these but I just want to say: I have been a fan of the Otakon AMV Contest opening since it debuted and I had no idea you were the guy who was responsible! Awesome!! I want to download it immediately. <_<
I didn't have it to add in the show notes at the time, but Jeff actually just put it up today... so... uhh... enjoy! :)

(That's my computer/desk at my old apartment a few years back where it zooms in on Premiere :P)
Awesome.

Which reminds me! Mike, when are you going to put up No Rest for the Wicked?

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Blue wrote:
LaRésistance wrote:I'm currently listening to the podcast and I just wanted to point out that Goku (and Broly) was unlocked from the start in the French version of Dragon Ball Z 2 (La Légende Saien) on the Super Nintendo. You could still enter the code to unlock him and hear Broly scream, but it was pointless.
Neato, didn't the French version of Hyper Dimension take out the story mode too? Or am I misremembering things?
You're right. We got the game fairly late and without the story mode. That's why I bought the Japanese version :D .