Episode #0237 (31 October 2010)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0237 (31 October 2010)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Episode #0237 (download MP3) (rss feed)
121:57; 96 kbps, mono; 83.7 MB

Episode #0237! VegettoEX and Hujio review the "DragonBall Kai Soundtrack III & Songs" album. Kenji Yamamoto has moved into new territory with his score, and the album also features three new vocal songs. Corey also pops in to talk about "Tenkaichi Tag Team" for the PSP. Is the portable "Sparking!" everything it should have been? Tons of news, some quick releases, and an e-mail schooling about rare footage rounds out the episode. Referenced sites:
I keep saying it, but this is an episode for those of you who indicated on the survey that you want us to podcast until we collapse. Also, we're doubling up on topics this week 'cuz we're so behind on awesome stuffage! Enjoy!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Duo
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0237 (31 October 2010)

Post by Duo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Hopefully the episode is up on iTunes by morning. I've playing catch up from episode 150 to now for the last 3 weeks and just caught up today, only for you to release another. Fucking conspiracy I say.
Last edited by Duo on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Very surprised I won. :)

Anyhow, I remember first reading Big Tree Cannon initially. Yeah, I couldn't understand it either. O.o There's a couple of whacky attack names for these 'game-only' attacks (Double Sunday, Saturday Crush, etc.)

You still haven't fully talked about Ayres yet, Mike. :p

Anyhow, my copy's going to enjoy its place on my shelf. :)

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Tatta Hitori No Senshi is my favorite track on the album, too. By the way, it was composed and arranged by Shin'ichi Sakurai, the composer/vocalist of CHASER!!.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 am

Yay more Corey! :o Edit/ Yay tons of banter at the end! Thank you guys. I wanna play RB3 so bad. =p/Edit.

I think I'll give TTT a miss. It really seams rather shallow and lacking. The Kai voices are nice and all, but then there's no JP voices (why?). The story sounds incredibly retarded. Honestly, my money is better spent on Tenkaichi 3 or Infinite World: two games I've skipped over, but are probably the better value even if I'm not going to play them right away. I still have to get around to Super DBZ. :shock: I still have Shin Budokai 1 and 2 (need to get from my brother). The stupid clip-art profile thing actually makes some sort of worth to replay shit over and over. And you can have JP voices. And hard difficulty lol.

Speaking of that, the demo for TTT has a per-character difficulty switcher. It doesn't sound like you can do that for the story, but I'd assume it's on the ol' "you vs cpu" mode(s?). In the demo, you set your partner to "super hard" and fight one guy on "super easy" and rape them in less than a minute. Or switch that, make them "super hard" and not have a partner and... see how long you can last lol.

But I got tired of that in less than an hour or so... I wish there was more that you could actually do with the fact that there's 4 people on the screen at once. How about 1v3, or 3v1, or everyone against each other. That would make 3 and 4-player multiplayer godly. I'm not sure what the WWE games are like on PSP what with their adhoc and all, but this is something at least wrestling games have gotten right since the N64 days. You'd think that 4 separate people against each with no teams would've been implemented automatically. You can have upto 4 people in Monster Hunter I think, and fuck, 8 or 16 in Socom?

Sigh... I just think of a all the wasted potential in this game. Pick up and go for a few minutes, it works, I suppose. But for someone like me who'd like to sit and play a DBZ game for a while, it sounds like it's just going to get stale quick. And if it's point is just pick up and go, why play anything other than the demo? Is it better than Sagas? I found that game genuinely slightly fun for the 45-ish minutes it took me to blow through it. :|

I can accept playing through the actual story for the main story mode if it's done right. I really liked the way the first Budokai handled it, and just kinda made cg episodes with a fight in it that you go through. Making it feel exactly like the show, while probably... cheating a little I suppose, is actually really neat I think. I was disappointed Budokai 2 and 3 didn't follow that motif. But if a game did it really nicely, from one end of the series to the other, I'd be happy. I perfectly liked how Legends does it too, with a shitload of fighting with in between narrative cut-scenes (even if I've never heard the narration outside of Youtube, damn US PS1s).

I... think I'm putting way too much thought into a PSP Dragonball game. :oops:

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Big Tree Cannon ?!....HA, I knew it. "Trunks" is a tree reference.

About the OST review, I agree with everything you guys had to say about it. Only now listening to track 17 because, yeah, I skipped it and mostly listened to the vocal songs. It's funny.

I support you guys do on doing the translating and investments thing, cause in the end...we all benefit. xP

Great podcast. :mrgreen:

kingvegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kingvegito » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Downloading now!

I always thought "Big tree" was a misspelling of "Victory"

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:37 pm

I highly enjoyed this episode of the podcast, listening to you guys whilst doing homework just makes the time fly by which I am very great full for.

Tenkaichi Tag Team does not interest me at all at this moment in time, as it doesn't seem to be doing anything original. Even with the two on two battles, I'm sure it probably does not really a huge difference to the game. Maybe if it becomes cheaper, I'll probably pick it up, but we'll see.

I'm really loving Trunks' character song and I can't stop listening to it. It just seems to fit his personality of him wanting to make a difference to the world, either it being his timeline or another which I think is good, as the song relates to his character.

My 18th Magic is very J-popish (and maybe I'm slightly biased because I like Jpop) but to me I kind of like it in general, even if it doesn't fit Dragon Ball in anyway admittedly and it doesn't seem to fit 18's personality.

Hearing that Kenji Ootsuki was going to be singing Cell's character song, I pretty much knew that the song was going to be absolutely mad as I more familiar to him for the first ending song of a anime called Welcome to the NHK, and that song is just as crazy and off the wall, but I'm strangely fond to it. This song, however, I'll have to listen to it more to get attached to it, for now it doesn't stand out very much to me.

DBZ_1997

Post by DBZ_1997 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 am

Loved the ep, great discussions.

Looking forward to next weeks.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Great episode this week. It's nice that we got such a long episode and very discussion heavy at that, which isn't a bad thing. I would say more but I've forgotten my comments and I know I had some comments I should start writing them down. But this episode was so loooooooooooong. :lol:

Great to hear some off-topic discussion after and during the podcast.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:08 am

2 hours still isn't long enough. It was fun all the way through, though, and you guys had me cracking up now and then as well. On a side note, I know exactly what you and Corey were talking about at the end of Crisis Core and I sympathize.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:47 pm

If you're still looking for someone to share thoughts about Raging Blast 2, I'd be more than happy to volunteer.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Hearing "Big Tree Cannon" makes me think that maybe it was supposed to be a ki cannon, but since "ki" can also mean "tree", they translated it wrong? Though Ahiru's comment about using Trunks to refer to tree trunks is pretty funny.
mysteriousdbzgt wrote: Hearing that Kenji Ootsuki was going to be singing Cell's character song, I pretty much knew that the song was going to be absolutely mad as I more familiar to him for the first ending song of a anime called Welcome to the NHK, and that song is just as crazy and off the wall, but I'm strangely fond to it. This song, however, I'll have to listen to it more to get attached to it, for now it doesn't stand out very much to me.
Ah, as I was listening to the Cell Games song, I thought it sounded like the same singer from Odoru Akachan Ningen, but I hadn't remembered to check yet. That song is crazily awesome, and I now when I listen to the Cell Games theme, I'll be imagining rock-star screaming baby cries. HOGYAAAAAA! :lol: Though I also haven't gotten too attached to that song yet, I'm loving the Trunks song, especially, like they were mentioning on the podcast, how the music drops out at the end and just has a capella singing. It's not my favorite of the new vocal songs (Chilling Elegy is definitely at the top, and close behind are the Tokusentai song, and, for biased reasons, Saiyan Blood), but it definitely has the potential to rise close to the top of my list.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:53 pm

kingvegito wrote:I always thought "Big tree" was a misspelling of "Victory"
I'd assume so. At any rate, Gotenks does have an attack called "Victory Cannon" (ビクトリーキャノン/Bikutoriii Kyanon).

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I was so hoping that "My 18th Magic" would be a love ballad from Kuririn to No. 18

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am

Herms wrote:
kingvegito wrote:I always thought "Big tree" was a misspelling of "Victory"
I'd assume so. At any rate, Gotenks does have an attack called "Victory Cannon" (ビクトリーキャノン/Bikutoriii Kyanon).
Yeah, that's in Budokai 2 and 3, the name they chose for the mouth blast SSj3 Gotenks used on Boo.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Haha, I must say it's fun to re-listen and hear you guys discuss the insert songs now that they've actually been used. :P