Episode #0261 (12 June 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0261 (12 June 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Episode #0261 (download MP3) (rss feed)
47:48; 96 kbps, mono; 33.1 MB

Episode #0261! VegettoEX and Hujio cruise through two weeks worth of news. Namco-Bandai seems to want to rename a game that does not even have a name yet, "DragonBall Online" is coming to China, and Latin America is getting a bunch of new stuff. We also catch-up on e-mails, including a discussion about what some of the characters in the series might wish for if they actually had a freebie wish with Shenlong. Referenced sites:
Aaaaaaaand we're back. Despite not having a topic, we totally have an awesome topic! Three of them, kinda! Hurray!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LloydSSJ4

Re: Episode #0261 (12 June 2011)

Post by LloydSSJ4 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for reading my question :)
I agree with what you said about Vegeta being able to transform, and also about Gohan being "iffy". If Toriyama had done what he intended and left Goku dead, with Gohan being earth's defender, then I would have felt his transformation was justified.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm not even sure how I remember this. About "free" wishes; I recall characters getting them at what I think was the ending of this arcade game Sega made.

Goku wished for lots of food, Trunks wished back everyone who perished in his own timeline--you see a shot of him together with Future Bulma and Future Vegeta, Vegeta's wish gets misinterpreted and ends with a gag shot of him being a giant that's so large Earth looks like a toy under his feet.

I want to say Gohan and Piccolo had wishes too, but I can't remember what they were.

EDIT: I did some digging. It's "DRAGON BALL Z: V.R.V.S.".
EDIT #2: An entire page with screencaps of all the wishes: http://www.vazcomics.org/mamend/D/dbzvrvs.htm

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Personally I've always liked that we ended up with multiple Super Saiyan characters and different forms. I think it's more interesting to see the characters experiment with and improve upon Super Saiyan, discovering the right and wrong ways to achieve greater strength, than it would have been to just go "well here's Super Saiyan, it's the strongest thing ever, the end". Yeah it goes against the whole legend of the Super Saiyan, but there was never really much to that to begin with: "a Super Saiyan appears every 1,000 years, is the strongest in the universe, and loves destruction and slaughter". That's closer to a TV Guide movie summary than an actual legend, and there's never any reason given for why only one Super Saiyan can appear every 1,000 years, or why nobody else in the universe could possibly be stronger. So given that, I really don't really see much problem with Toriyama throwing in multiple Super Saiyans and guys stronger than Super Saiyans into the story. Hell, the part of the legend about the Super Saiyan "loving destruction and slaughter" is broken right there within the actual Freeza storyline itself, when Goku ultimately gets bored fighting Freeza and decided to just let him go. Super Saiyan Goten and kid Trunks don't bother me either, since that part was blatantly played for laughs and seemed like a strong throwback to Dr. Slump (and very early DB), where little kids effortlessly astound grownups with their strength.

Remember, Red wanted to use the dragonballs to wish to get taller, not to take over the world. He figured that once the RR Army had a fittingly cool-looking commander, it could conquer the world through conventional methods.

Leviathus

Post by Leviathus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 am

Chuquita wrote:Vegeta's wish gets misinterpreted and ends with a gag shot of him being a giant that's so large Earth looks like a toy under his feet.
Oh man that was hilarious!

I also agree on the Vegeta part. He was really going for it and got it at the end. As for Goten and Trunks and their "Weee look at us! We can go SSj without any efford~!" I didn't really buy that in the beginning.. but since Toriyama was on a gag tour, well... I just accepted it.

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:39 am

I hate Shanda for bringing Dragon Ball Online to China. The whole thing seriously sucks and the only reason they bring this here is because they think that Chinese are just people to get money from, and that we are all a bunch of idiots who'd buy anything that doesn't come from China...

Great podcast episode this week!

P.S. What will Jeff do when Manga Review of Awesomeness is finished? Is he going to leave?!?!

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:12 am

^ Jeff has actually done a decent amount of episodes that weren't manga reviews.

I wanted to add that we get to see what Goten and Trunks want to wish for in movie 10. Goten wants a land of cakes and candy, while Trunks wants a personal amusement park. I'll also add my own thoughts on what some of the characters would wish for.

Roshi- Several hot, young [censored] that he could [censored] all the time. He'd probably include several specific details, like special [censored] abilities, nice [censored] and [censored], and a willingness to [censored]. One has to wonder whether or not that's even [censored] legal in the Dragon World.

Evolution Yamcha- Acting lessons, bro.

Arale- A world champion that she can play pro wrestling with, CHA! [insert image of a terrified Mr. Satan here]

Enma- A nice polish for wood furniture, particularly something that's great for mahogany.

The Invisible Man- To not be defeated by the glorious powers of Bulma's breasts.

The King of the World- After contemplating wold peace or the end of hunger, he'd settle for a nice chew toy.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm

This may have been filler, but after the Cell Games, Yamucha considered using the last wish on a necklace for his "girlfriend."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Zestanor wrote:This may have been filler, but after the Cell Games, Yamucha considered using the last wish on a necklace for his "girlfriend."
Nope, that's in the manga.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 pm

On the topic of Super Saiyans, that is the #1 reason I dislike DBO, they just hand it out to EVERYONE so it's nothing at all special anymore.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Come to think of... When is the next "Manga Review of Awesomeness" going to be? (Love that stuff)