Episode #0266 (24 July 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Episode #0266 (24 July 2011)

Post by Ashura » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:45 pm

That bit is one of the weird things about this episode to me, since the press release is written so oddly that it could be taken a lot of ways. While it seems to ME that they're actually trying to imply they're rescanning everything and using that guy again, I can also look at it and know you can take it the other way as well. Just not how sure of it you seemed. I guess that pessimism may stem from how burned you guys seem to feel about the whole series' treatment a lot of the time, though.

You guys bring up the press release being weird and recycledish too, but only touch on the other side... that they might be redoing it. Reading the press release, I would take from it that they ARE redoing it (just from 'once again... rescanning' and 'new processes... look how shiny'), but it's so oddly constructed. Such as how they imply the AndTransfer dude is working on it again, but then only actually mention him in the past tense. Like I said, I'm not sure what hard facts or educated guesses you can actually take from this... other than it's going to be on Bluray and that Funimation needs to proof their PR a bit better.
Why are you praying for the worst? Do you really want it to be bad?
Nah, I really just wanted to type prepare, but my fingers and my brain are lifelong rivals who want to battle for the fate of planet Earth through my lack of eloquence in inconsequential posts on random internet forums. Run-on sentences are a favorite of those wily bastards, too.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I guess I'm just curious what other "side" there even *is* with regard to this topic.

Indiscriminate blind purchasers...? How would that even be interesting to listen to? :)
Well, as you have often and rightfully said in the past couple years, the people who won't understand new releases without realizing how its different from what came before. I know a podcast episode past was where I finally learned why the Ultimate Uncuts were suddenly cancelled; I wasn't thinking of buying the series during their run, but I'll see them on specialty store shelves alongside the regular singles and think "Huh?"

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:40 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I guess I'm just curious what other "side" there even *is* with regard to this topic.

Indiscriminate blind purchasers...? How would that even be interesting to listen to? :)
Well, as you have often and rightfully said in the past couple years, the people who won't understand new releases without realizing how its different from what came before. I know a podcast episode past was where I finally learned why the Ultimate Uncuts were suddenly cancelled; I wasn't thinking of buying the series during their run, but I'll see them on specialty store shelves alongside the regular singles and think "Huh?"
Why were they cancelled?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Gotham22 wrote:Why were they cancelled?
Probably because they started the Season Sets.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 pm

What was the name of the song at the end of the podcast?

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 am

Zestanor wrote:All I've had to say I've said in the Blu-ray thread, but Borders is closing?! No! I love Borders. :(
Someone better tell La Migra (police patrols) the border is being closed in anticipation of civil unrest and the fall of the sky in the US of A. :lol:

That's a real shame that the stores are closing, but it's what happens when a business isn't making enough money to keep it's doors open. People don't read anymore. Oh well...least you'll have Amazon to get all your book needs.

About the subject of the podcast - most of the DBZ games have the problem of being the same game with a few features and a different case to justify the fifty dollar pricetag. It's a secret...so shhh...keep it down. :wink:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 am

About Borders, I used to go there and buy my books and manga from there. But ever since the opening of Kinokonnya, that became the only place I go to buy.

On the subject of Dragon Boxes running out of prints, I was panicked a bit since I still haven't bought #5 and 6 ((Damn my Transformers' obsession :evil: ). But thankfully, the usual anime store I go to have them. I'll buy them in the upcoming days.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 pm

My Borders closed earlier this year. Sad, their manga section, on top of everything else, was excellent. I just don't buy much of it, despite enjoying the stuff. As far as Bardock's post goes, depending on how much I'm reading at the time, I can go into bookstores and have the opposite reaction, "Where in blazes do I start"? :roll:

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 pm

The Borders sale at this point is pretty much a waste, since almost everything you can get right now is still a lot cheaper to order from Amazon. It's not until the very end of the sale when everything is picked apart that anything has a real discount.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:22 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:My Borders closed earlier this year.
Same here. :(

jr_dragon_94

Post by jr_dragon_94 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Off topic (but really in-topic for next podcast and when you guys finish Vol. 42,) if Jeff finishes the whole DB manga, does that mean he got raped because we don't really know if he wanted to read it. :lol:

You guys should totally have him watch Dragonball TV episodes to after this because he has no idea knowledge on when the filler stuff comes in.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:30 am

So what I'm really taking away from this is that FUNimation can't not be releasing DBZ at any given time.

They released the single volumes. Almost finished. Stopped. Started releasing the Season Sets. Those finished and the Dragon Boxes started. Dragon Boxes are finishing so they announce these Blu-Rays.

And that's not even counting Kai.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Casual Matt wrote:So what I'm really taking away from this is that FUNimation can't not be releasing DBZ at any given time.

They released the single volumes. Almost finished. Stopped. Started releasing the Season Sets. Those finished and the Dragon Boxes started. Dragon Boxes are finishing so they announce these Blu-Rays.

And that's not even counting Kai.
It's the ADV business model. Look at all of FUNi's properties, including ones they've acquired. Release, re-release, re-release as budget line and finally release as (usually) upscaled Blu-ray. The unfortunate thing about the lattermost is they appear to sit on upscaled masters for awhile after making them, so PQ issues are fairly common (which sucks, because some stuff they acquired had decent DVD releases but, assuming they did a proper upscale, could be worth a purchase at the right price...alas, lots of destructive filtering going on).

Now, to wait for the DBZ release that comes with a leather jacket. ;)

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:The unfortunate thing about the lattermost is they appear to sit on upscaled masters for awhile after making them, so PQ issues are fairly common (which sucks, because some stuff they acquired had decent DVD releases but, assuming they did a proper upscale, could be worth a purchase at the right price...alas, lots of destructive filtering going on).
Uhhh... which release are you talking about? Everything I've seen past the first few with problems have /not/ been filtered to crap. They're pretty much straight upscales, some like FMP purportedly better than the Japanese release...

The main issue I've seen anyone complain about lately is what they do with credits when they don't have the creditless ed.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Ashura wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:The unfortunate thing about the lattermost is they appear to sit on upscaled masters for awhile after making them, so PQ issues are fairly common (which sucks, because some stuff they acquired had decent DVD releases but, assuming they did a proper upscale, could be worth a purchase at the right price...alas, lots of destructive filtering going on).
Uhhh... which release are you talking about? Everything I've seen past the first few with problems have /not/ been filtered to crap. They're pretty much straight upscales, some like FMP purportedly better than the Japanese release...

The main issue I've seen anyone complain about lately is what they do with credits when they don't have the creditless ed.
The two releases that interested me that appeared to have a bad case of DVNR were Samurai Champloo and Gungrave. The former was apparently redone recently. Other than that, I honestly don't remember specific titles, I usually buy native HD only. ;)

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Can Corey and/or Jeff please please please join the gang for the inevitable "Level 1.1" review?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Can Corey and/or Jeff please please please join the gang for the inevitable "Level 1.1" review?
If I'm invited, I'm totally game. ;)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:14 am

The Tori-bot wrote:Can Corey and/or Jeff please please please join the gang for the inevitable "Level 1.1" review?
Pretty sure that's what this means:
VegettoEX wrote:Of course folks like Marc and Corey will show up in the future regarding these releases... this is just kind of a preview topic for it ^_~.

~Da Lemmy