Episode #0271 (18 September 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0271 (18 September 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Episode #0271 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
51:09; 96 kbps, mono; 35.4 MB

Episode #0271! VegettoEX and Julian review "Episode of Bardock", the three-chapter spin-off manga by Naho Ooishi published in V-Jump this summer. Penned as a sequel to the Bardock TV special, Ooishi gets a little more chance to shine with a quasi-original story as opposed to her usual retreads. Is this the true legend of the Super Saiyan that we have all been curious about for so many decades, or is it just another fluff piece of media that we can all casually pass over without missing much? Referenced sites:
The August / September / October V-Jump issues appear to be sold out basically everywhere I've checked online (actually, Amazon JP has the September issue...), so if anyone comes across any reputable dealers with any of the issues, lemme know and we can share the love!

I feel awful for forgetting to mention it during the show, but amazing thanks to John for a donation that basically covered the remainder of the cost and shipping of the three months worth of the magazine. It's what helped make this episode and the forthcoming full website review happen!

Sorry about the unexpected two-week break, all you loyal listeners! That's what happens when a hurricane decides to destroy your basement.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Craddle
Regular

Re: Episode #0271 (18 September 2011)

Post by Craddle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 am

THANK YOU Mike and Julian for reading the "Episode of Bardock" manga. I just listened to it once. I'm going to go back and listening to it again to make sure it all sinks in!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:35 am

Might have been good to go over Toriyama's role with Episode of Bardock in a bit more detail. He's credited as being editorial supervisor and for making the original DB series, but apparently one of the other fan translations out there rather stupidly says Episode of Bardock was "directed" by him, as if it were a movie. Perhaps as a result of this, there's some rumors that Toriyama wrote the plot or something, though there's absolutely nothing to suggest this.

In regards to the first e-mail, the title page for chapter 336 actually shows Super Saiyan Goku sparring with Gohan and Piccolo as everyone trains to fight the androids.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:14 am

Herms wrote:Might have been good to go over Toriyama's role with Episode of Bardock in a bit more detail. He's credited as being editorial supervisor and for making the original DB series, but apparently one of the other fan translations out there rather stupidly says Episode of Bardock was "directed" by him, as if it were a movie. Perhaps as a result of this, there's some rumors that Toriyama wrote the plot or something, though there's absolutely nothing to suggest this.
Perfect timing for this Herms. My friend and I were just discussing this. He was basing his info that Toriyama "directed" this on the fan translation that you're speaking of. I told him it was just giving him credit for his original part in the series. And then I read your post. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Actually, you guys did miss one tidbit when talking about Saiyan history. It is said that the Saiyans came to Planet Plant via way of a 'mysterious space ship'! Bardock doesn't necessarily have to be involved with the initial colonization of the Saiyans on Plant.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Great episode guys!
Last edited by atm5508 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLastSaiyan

Post by TheLastSaiyan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:53 pm

The real question is, does Bardock + Planet Plant inhabitants = Tsufuru-jins?

Super Vejito

Post by Super Vejito » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Herms wrote:In regards to the first e-mail, the title page for chapter 336 actually shows Super Saiyan Goku sparring with Gohan and Piccolo as everyone trains to fight the androids.
Is there I scan of this somewhere? I'm the person who sent that e-mail and my cheap Dutch manga might not have the correct title pages (it's a translation of the French 84 booklets Glénat version...). The chapter you mentioned just has SSJ Goku by himself for me and when I looked for scans online they didn't have the title page. =/ Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see it. It wasn't in the anime, was it? Either way, it doesn't really change my point in that Goku never fought seriously in those 3 years, though Julian's counterargument that he would probably push himself on his own seemed fair. Then again, he did allow Vegeta to surpass him in that span of time... *shrug* Probably putting too much thought into this.

When I tried to register to reply to this, I found out I already made an account back in 2004. Considering my age back then, the nickname could have been a lot worse. =X

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Super Vejito wrote:Is there I scan of this somewhere?
Here you go.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 am

At the end of the day, my feelings on Episode of Bardock seem to match the general public. Pretty good and fun but needed more elaboration. Chapters 1 and 2 were quite good but 3 is where it all fell apart. I think 4 chapters would have been more suitable to further extend upon the Bardock/Chilled fight. However I do applaud Ooishi for not making Chilled's personality a carbon copy of Freeza. While there were many similarities, there's no way in hell Freeza would ever go into cloak and put on some "Space Police" act just to draw find someone. Freeza would torment the children until someone found Bardock. So I'm very happy with that aspect of Chilled.

However, as far as continuity goes, I'm surprised you didn't mention this on the Podcast...But DragonBall time travel has already been defined as one time line not affecting the other. So in essence, there's no way this could work. If Bardock was indeed in the past, there's no way his legend could have made it to the normal DBZ time line where Bardock conceives Goku.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 am

My opinion on Episode of Bardock is the same as most everyone here, so I'll skip that. It's great finally having a new podcast to listen to.

On the "Dragon Ball" vs. "Dragonball" debate, I'd have to go with Dragon Ball because it makes more sense in my head, plus our network guide always had it rendered that way.

Also, great to hear about more One Piece fans! I really got into it when I first started the domestic Jump, right when they skipped to Impel Down. I right now am really into (in terms of manga/anime) Fullmetal Alchemist and Gundam Wing, but it's nice to hear talk of my OG manga/anime obsession, Dragon Ball.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 am

Gozar wrote:However, as far as continuity goes, I'm surprised you didn't mention this on the Podcast...But DragonBall time travel has already been defined as one time line not affecting the other. So in essence, there's no way this could work. If Bardock was indeed in the past, there's no way his legend could have made it to the normal DBZ time line where Bardock conceives Goku.
Not necessarily. It could be that this only happens when a paradox is involved; i.e. if the time trip would prevent itself, the timelines separate.

Super Vejito

Post by Super Vejito » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 am

Episode of Bardock was more fun to me than the SD chapters, because it was actually something new and I love Bardock as a character. I think his behaviour and the new characters fit the universe and would love to be able to play as Chilled in a DBZ fighting game. =P As opposed to the original TV special it seemed more lighthearted, but then that special was uncharacteristically dark in the first place. With 1 or 2 more chapters the buildup towards the SSJ transformation would probably have been better, but I don't know what restrictions the author was working with and the idea that Bardock at his level could become a SSJ will always be somewhat unbelievable.

Time traveling in DBZ is rather messy, but it could very well work for Bardock to be the source of the SSJ legend. I'm assuming he just stays and dies in the past and don't really see it cause contradictions. I was at some point expecting him to prevent the birth of Freeza through killing Chilled or him getting back to his own time as a SSJ to fight Freeza, but I guess they did not want to deviate from what actually happens too much.
Herms wrote:
Super Vejito wrote:Is there I scan of this somewhere?
Here you go.
I meant of course to say "a" scan (blame the hour), but it seems you understood the message. =P Thanks a lot, I've never seen that picture before. Makes me wonder if I should invest in a new edition of the manga, but considering where I live, that's probably rather expensive (+ I just got the American Dragon Boxes).

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:31 am

Great episode :D

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:45 am

If Bardock had stayed in the past, there wouldn't be any differences at all, would there? The artwork still looks kinda strange, though, to me. Guess I couldn't really complain about it. Oh well. Awesome episode!

Haha, Julian, it seriously sounded as if you wanted Dragon Ball GT instead.

Super Vejito

Post by Super Vejito » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:37 am

Well, the way I figure it is that when Freeza destroys Planet Vegeta, Bardock is somehow transported to the planet's past rather than getting caught up in the explosion. The past almost seems prehistoric to me, but I'm not sure how many years he was thrown back exactly. Either way Bardock defeats Chilled there as a SSJ, becoming the origin of the legend and Freeza's fear of the Saiyajin race becoming too powerful. In a sense you could almost say a loop was created where through beating Chilled in the past Bardock inspired the fear in Freeza's clan that made Freeza blow up planet Vegeta, which caused Bardock to go back in time to become the SSJ of legend etc.. These chapters give no indication that Bardock goes back to his own time, which would actually contradict the story we know because he disappears with the planet, whether it is because he died or because of these time travel antics.