Episode #0272 (25 September 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0272 (25 September 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Episode #0272 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
81:07; 96 kbps, mono; 56.0 MB

Episode #0272! VegettoEX and Herms dissect the history of the Saiyan race. From the manga to the TV series to the guide books to the various other adaptations and reference materials, what is said about where the come from and how they evolved? What types of plot holes are created, fixed, and then broken all over again by the increased amount of information tossed out there? Does any "fact" stay consistent throughout the entire series at all?

No referenced sites this week! We've done a couple non-topic episodes, but how about a TOPIC-ONLY one, huh?!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0272 (25 September 2011)

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 pm

No listed sites?! Geez, guys, what happened? Did yer sponsors default on their payments? ;p

About to give the episode a proper listen. My opinions on the topic in the meantime:

The history of the Saiyan race is so contradictory and convoluted so as to make any true and accurate account nearly impossible, IMO. And I blame that on having too many cooks in the kitchen. Every time the series was given a chance to expand on Saiyan history, or even just sort out what we'd already been given, somehow it just ended up raping what was already there with some new "twist" that reduced the whole thing to plothole status.

Considering that the Z portion of the story focuses almost exclusively on Saiyan characters, it's a friggin' shame that their background got so hideously screwed up.

~Da Lemmy

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:29 am

That brief info on how the sensitivity of their tails have something to do with mating was new to me. :shock:

I always thought that was a fandom-created thing. Interesting.

And the rapid-aging is indeed as creepy and horrifying as when I first heard about it when the guidebook came out. It's no wonder in DBO they write Goku and Vegeta deciding to go out in a blaze of battle-glory with each other (though the fact that that they do this behind everyone's backs and go someplace secret and far away to do it weirdly makes me think of Shakespeare. Also DBO choosing year 801 for this event, the number that's a slang term for yaoi.); I imagine rapid-aging as something that would place a huge burden on Goku's mental and emotional state.

Somehow I can imagine Vegeta handling rapid-aging a lot better; he'd so be that lovable crotchety old grump yelling at the kids to get off his lawn. XD

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:09 am

Roughly 30 minutes into the podcast where its talking about which planet they are on when training at Khami's Lookout. An interesting point to notice is that none of the Z warriors mention an increase in gravity (Planet Vegeta should have 10x Earths gravity) so this implies that they are not on Vegeta and are instead on a different planet.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

The tail-mating ritual thing was NOT a fancreated thing :O ? *Looks back to all the times Saiyan tails were grabbed in the series* Oh God....

I like to think that the Tsufurians were in alliance with Freeza ,too, and were developing technology for them. And their sudden dissapearence(ecxintion) is what lead to Freeza discovering the Saiyans and making them his underlings.

And I´d also like to think that the "Plantians" from Episode of Bardock were the original inhabitans of Planet Plant, and Freeza killed them and sold Planet Plant to the Tsufurians.

That bit at the end about Bardock made me think. Bardock being a Saiyan, get bored with the Plantians lifestyle and starts travelling in space looking for strong enemies to fight, may or may not gets crazy, may or may not meets his ancestors, impresses them with his incredible strenght and becomes a kinda god-esque being in the Saiyans eyes. fanfiction fuel right there. Too bad I´m such a lazy writer :(

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

So, the tail-grabbing thing is officially a part of the Saiyan mating process? Perhaps it's the females who would take advantage of it most often, in order to get the males' attention (or rather, their submission, as it may be) long enough to get the job done. I guess this finally explains how Chichi managed to make Gohan and Goten happen!

If that's the case, it might also explain in turn why Goku and Vegeta tend to be so wary or even afraid of their respective women... it's instinct!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Kaboom wrote:So, the tail-grabbing thing is officially a part of the Saiyan mating process? Perhaps it's the females who would take advantage of it most often, in order to get the males' attention (or rather, their submission, as it may be) long enough to get the job done. I guess this finally explains how Chichi managed to make Gohan and Goten happen!
Goku lost his tail long before his marriage. But she *did* grab it when they first met...! Anyway, that's a first time for me hearing that!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Aw man, you're right. Major brain fart for me, there. Oh well, that particular fan theory was fun while it lasted!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Rats, I guess this is what I get for throwing stuff out there off the top of my head, but Daizenshuu 7 doesn't say that the Saiyan tail weakness thing is about mating rituals. What it says is this (via TripleRach's translations):
But at the same time, the tail is also the Saiyans' weak point. This could perhaps be assumed to be for conventional fighting, which many animals have as instinct. In other words, in situations where Saiyans engage in battle with each other, as a species, the principle is that merit is decided by how few injuries one gets.
Now, when I said "mating ritual" I was thinking of rivals fighting over mates, as opposed to something mates do to each other . Rivals fighting over mates is a common reason for ritualistic, inter-species fighting in nature, so that's why I made that connection, even though the actual book doesn't specifically mention anything like that. OK, so "mating ritual" would still be the wrong term for that kind of thing, but like I said I was just randomly mentioning that on the spur of the moment without much though. Whoops. I don't suppose there could be a disclaimer next episode?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Welcome to my world each and every week with each and every show, Jake!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Welcome to my world each and every week with each and every show, Jake!
Hey, everyone expects you to goof up, but I've got standards to maintain! :P

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 am

This was a good episode, but the content is just so ridiculous... I felt like I needed a chart or something to go along with as I was listening.
Herms wrote:Rats, I guess this is what I get for throwing stuff out there off the top of my head, but Daizenshuu 7 doesn't say that the Saiyan tail weakness thing is about mating rituals.
Nope. Too late. Already well-engrained into my fanon now. :P

Also, Herms, what the hell is up with your pronunciation of Tullece? It was all over the place. lol Think lettuce, man!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Fantastic episode guys.

I LIT UP SMILING when I heard the ending song I'll admit. My favorite song no doubt! So unknown and I've been wishing for the day you played it. :D

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 am

Quick question about the upcoming 'Manga Review': Do you plan on having Jeff reading and discussing the 'Kanzenban' ending as well as the original?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Damn..... tail mating ritual...... That's the worst nightmare for me as I hate that overrated movie!!!! :evil:

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Damn..... tail mating ritual...... That's the worst nightmare for me as I hate that overrated movie!!!! :evil:
What are you talking about?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Herms wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:Damn..... tail mating ritual...... That's the worst nightmare for me as I hate that overrated movie!!!! :evil:
What are you talking about?

Great podcast tough, maybe the best I ever heard. This is probably the moxt extensive thread to discuss about the Dragon Ball wil probably ever get.
The backstory resparkled my interest in Freeza arc again :)