Episode #0293 (25 March 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0293 (25 March 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Episode #0293 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
94:44; 96 kbps, mono; 65.3 MB

Episode #0293! VegettoEX, Meri, and man of many Internet names, Lance (or Gaffer Tape or MistareFusion) deconstruct the character of Vegeta. From his initial introduction through the end of the series, and despite being just another villain in a long line of them, he is always written completely differently than any other character in the series. What makes this guy tick? Did he serve his purpose in its entirety by the end of the Freeza arc, and did Toriyama successfully reinvent him well enough to last the rest of the series?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0293 (25 March 2012)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Certainly was fun to be on the last episode of what was officially DaizenshuuEX: The Podcast, but it sucks that the forums were down right after, so now my episode is old news, and people have newer things to talk about! :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Certainly was fun to be on the last episode of what was officially DaizenshuuEX: The Podcast, but it sucks that the forums were down right after, so now my episode is old news, and people have newer things to talk about! :lol:
I thought it was cool that you got to be a part of the 'final episode' of DaizenshuuEX. Of course, now we've sort of gone and done a Post-Crisis Adventures of Superman. :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:59 pm

I don't know how I misheard it, but for a while when I was listening to this I kept hearing Bobby Dee and got confused until I realized it was Babidi. :mrgreen: I must've been tired that night.

I do think Vegeta's way more interesting during the Freeza arc than he is during Cell. I enjoy his cunning more than his ego. Buu arc is notable because of him finally kind-of relaxing into the group along with the entire Majin Vegeta stuff. Buu is also the arc where Vegeta's proportions start to look more natural. I'm not sure if it was just Toriyama's art style evolving, or if it was done on purpose.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:43 am

JulieYBM wrote:I thought it was cool that you got to be a part of the 'final episode' of DaizenshuuEX. Of course, now we've sort of gone and done a Post-Crisis Adventures of Superman. :P
Yeah, I probably would have flipped out if Mike and Meri had told me before recording that that was the case. It was definitely an honor. And a hoot. I had a great time. I can't believe we went on for that long. And I hope that I get caught up on my podcast listening soon so I can actually listen to it!

But don't even bring the Multiverse into this. It's already hard enough to keep up with the long and winding VegettoEX/DaizenshuuEX/Kanzentai roads that brought us to this Kanzenshuu world. :lol:

And is it just me, or are yours and Chuquita's avatars bigger than they were before we came back?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:52 am

They're bigger. We can have 100x100 avatars now! :3

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:27 am

I've been waiting for this..
Podcast 293, 33:44 wrote:Gaffer Tape: “I remember he said at one point, that he thought that Goku and Ginyu might be able to take each other out, then after his ovary (what did you say here?) he heals Goku, because he realizes, that he needs him to fight Freeza, so was he not having a little bit of not quite forward thinking there, when he ran off on Goku or did he just think he might be able to get the Dragon Balls?”
VegettoEX: “I think he’s just so conflicted over what to do this whole time, that he is not making the best decisions all the time and again that’s why Vegeta is interesting, caus’ he’s as confused as we are throughout the whole arc.
No, that was the best decision he could make based on the knowledge at hand. Afterall Krillin and Goku had mere moments ago revealed, they knew how to summon the wish granting Dragon inside the Dragon Balls(Freeza and Vegeta weren’t even aware of having to summon anything) and they were told to go summon it.
It makes sense for Vegeta to want Goku dead at that point, because he thinks his immortality wish is within hands’ reach and it makes sense, that he changed his opinion, when it was revealed that Goku and co. weren’t capable of making the Namek DBs work anyway. It obviously ruined his chance of immortality for now, so he can’t just kill Goku, when he doesn’t even know if he’ll be capable of getting his wish before Freeza confronts him.

Later on Gaffer Tape mentions that interview with Toriyama, where it's revealed that AT came up with Potara merger because of fusion being used in the movies, he questions the validity of this claim, because he wasn't able to confirm it.
Go here to check the interview
And the quote in question:
Daizenshuu 6 Super Interview wrote:I: How about the conception of 'potara'?

TA: Well, that was just because fusion was being used up in the movies, and I was thinking, 'what should I do?' Since I had been drawing earrings, I wondered, 'can I use these somehow?'

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 am

dbgtFO wrote:I've been waiting for this..
Podcast 293, 33:44 wrote:Gaffer Tape: “I remember he said at one point, that he thought that Goku and Ginyu might be able to take each other out, then after his ovary (what did you say here?) he heals Goku, because he realizes, that he needs him to fight Freeza, so was he not having a little bit of not quite forward thinking there, when he ran off on Goku or did he just think he might be able to get the Dragon Balls?”
I would have to check it, but based on my memory, I'm pretty sure I said, "Then after it's over, he heals Goku." I would assume my running together of "over" and "he" could sound like "ovary." But I can't rule out the story possibilities of Vegeta's ovaries convincing him not to kill Goku. :wink:

And thanks for checking the Potara. I think I actually ran across Herms mentioning it in a podcast episode I was catching up on in the interim of the forums being down. Or it might have been Manga Review of Awesomeness 41, but it's great to read the actual quote/translation.

Super Vejito

Post by Super Vejito » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Vegeta is one of my favourite characters by virtue of being one of few main characters with serious flaws and development, as well as managing to more or less stay relevant from introduction to finish. He has some pretty flashy moments to boot. ;)

The podcast gave a nice overview of Vegeta's role throughout the series and I especially liked the idea that he could very well have stayed dead after Freeza. The thought has crossed my mind before as well, but at that point the series really needed a character on the good side that could keep up with Goku as a sort of rival. Piccolo might have been able to fill that spot again, but the problem is that from there on out most strength development came with huge power-ups and further transformations. There are only so many ways for non-Saiyan characters to keep up with that and I feel that contributed to the human fighters more or less capping out.

It always seemed odd to me that Vegeta would never revisit his plan to wish for immortality after the Freeza arc. I do think that when he ended up back on earth initially he would have had a hard time fighting the combined force of Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin over the Dragonballs, though I’m not entirely sure how their battle powers compared at that time. Either way there was probably some downtime at some point during the series where he could have gone for it and it’s never explained why he just wasn’t thinking of it anymore. It would obviously make for a dull show to have an immortal main character, but they could have at least commented on it.

The one thing that was sort of missing for me in the podcast is how the author and the original Japanese fans view the character. There are plenty of rumors, but there is at least this one quote from an interview with Toriyama:
"With Vegeta, well, I don't like him all that much, but he was extremely helpful to have around."
Source: http://kanzentai.com/trans-daiz02.php?m=10&id=interview
It is not elaborated upon, but I find it to be an interesting statement. I imagine it to mean that Vegeta’s fickle nature was convenient for plot transitions (ex. he allows Cell to become perfect) and it always helps to have a character who brings rather unique attitudes and universe knowledge to the table.

I’d like to conclude by congratulating you guys on the website merger. It makes a lot of sense and I’ll continue to frequent the site. :)

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:38 pm

So I started catching up on these podcasts. It's been a while since I listened to one.

Everybody was discussing Vegeta letting #19 grab him and start draining his energy. It was chalked up to just him being arrogant, but I wanted to point out that the reason he does it is because he needed to rip off his arms so he could stop him from absorbing his ki attacks. Once he did that he finished him easily.

So it wasn't just him being dumb.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:57 am

Great stuff. I missed out on so many podcasts, i need to listen all of them!