Episode #0304 (15 July 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0304 (15 July 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Episode #0304 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
53:14; 96 kbps, mono; 36.7 MB

Episode #0304! VegettoEX, Meri, and Hujio discuss the recently-announced 2013 "Dragon Ball Z" animated movie. What do we hope for in this new production, and does it line up with what you all are expecting? Random tidbits of video game news round out the jam-packed episode! Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0304 (15 July 2012)

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm going home tomorrow I can't wait to get home and download the podcast. you better have made it awesome VegettoEX :D :lol:

Red Tiger

Post by Red Tiger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks! :D

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:50 pm

But, but... why did no one mention just a search the Dragon Balls adventure? Wouldn't that be awesome? An hour of finding Dragon Balls in competition with some kind of enemy, you know, a bit of Piccolo Daimao/Red Ribbon Army/Namek kind of Dragon Ball hunt. And after that half an hour of fighting? At least in my opinion a longer movie would work with a dragon ball hunt and a big fight after that :p

SnatchKetchum

Post by SnatchKetchum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:17 pm

I feel there will be a new villain, but it will take ss3 goku, vegeta, and gotanks to beat him. Along with gohan.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Thinking about what I want in this movie, I think the main thing is continuity. I want this to fit into the main story, unlike the earlier 13 films. I'd like to see something that's sort of a between-the-panels event, like Gohan and Videl's wedding or the birth of Pan. I really want a villain I can take seriously, but isn't just a copy of another villain.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 pm

I've been wanting to hear this episode ever since the interruption-edit you made during last week's about it. X3

I have good feelings about this movie. So far:
-it's in 2-D animation
-it takes place during those 10 years between Buu and Uub
-it's not a retelling, but a brand new storyline
-Goku and Vegeta are on the promo art; and they're in base form

While I know it didn't actually happen, I feel like someone at Toei read my old posts and just made a check list from it; because everything so far about this movie is something that I have wanted and wished for years. Image

I loved the 2008 Jump Tour special; I am in agreement with all three of you about wanting something like that. The way the characters interacted with each other during that special was gold. I want to see Goku mess with Vegeta's mind some more; I never dreamed that would actually happen and when it did it was wonderful. In fact, I want to see more of the dynamic that went on between Goku, Vegeta, and Bulma in the 08 special.

Speaking of gold, the mental image of "everyone going ssj3 no matter who they are or if they aren't even saiyajin" was great. XD
Every time I see new Heroes art with more ssj3, all I can see is ssj3 Goku cosplaying as that character because I associate that adult ssj3 head/face with Goku since he's the only adult in the manga/anime who uses it.

Also, Goku in swimsuits made me laugh. XD The way he acted with the "special Kamesennin uniforms" when they were trying to fool Lunch makes me think he really wouldn't care as long as he can move easily in it. Vegeta'd care though. X3

Goku figures in a bunch of different costumes that have nothing to do with the series itself or even have nothing to do with his character could potentially be hilarious.

Yes to makaioshin as villains; I'd like to see the characters fight some bad guys who've got magical powers. That's one of the things that could make a battle conceivably difficult given the time frame it's taking place in. As long as it's not Brolli again (I don't dislike him, it's just that he's already had 3 movies) I'm not too picky.

In terms of length, I say it'll be midway between Toei's shorter animated movies (Pretty Cure's are usually a little over an hour) and feature length (One Piece's are generally an hour and 45 minutes). I definitely want it to be longer than an hour and I think it has to be since this is a different situation than with all the older movies which were paired with something else.

Tuesday was insane for me. I don't think I've been off and on these forums that much during one single day since the whole LAM speculation. Tomorrow's Tuesday I hope has it's own chunk of new movie news however, since that's typically the day Shounen Jump gets leaked. I don't know if they'll have news the week right after, but here's hoping.

I'm certain the whole inclusion of FOX is just leftovers from the DBE project; Toei may not have even known back in 07 that they were going to do a 2-D animated movie five years down the road. It probably is a funding thing. Of that I am not worried.

I thought of the three recent animated specials, that the Jump 08 special was most smoothly-animated, so I'd like to have animators from that team return. Also more animation from Mr. Nakatsuru.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 am

I'm really crossing my fingers for a brand-new Kikuchi score. Ever since this movie's been announced, I've been salivating over the possibility. That would just make my year.

And yay, the ending song for this episode was "Tamashii no Michi"! I've always loved that one.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:06 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Thinking about what I want in this movie, I think the main thing is continuity. I want this to fit into the main story, unlike the earlier 13 films. I'd like to see something that's sort of a between-the-panels event, like Gohan and Videl's wedding or the birth of Pan. I really want a villain I can take seriously, but isn't just a copy of another villain.
Why do you even care? Why can't you just enjoy a film without worrying about whether or not it's canonical? That's what I've never gotten about many Dragon Ball fans. I mean, even if it does fit, there will still be a bunch of sad-asses complaining about how because this thing doesn't work for them, it doesn't count (nor does it really have to, anyway). My favourite DBZ film is Movie #12, and that doesn't fit in at all, but you know what? I don't care, because it's still bloody good fun.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Why do you even care? Why can't you just enjoy a film without worrying about whether or not it's canonical? That's what I've never gotten about many Dragon Ball fans. I mean, even if it does fit, there will still be a bunch of sad-asses complaining about how because this thing doesn't work for them, it doesn't count (nor does it really have to, anyway). My favourite DBZ film is Movie #12, and that doesn't fit in at all, but you know what? I don't care, because it's still bloody good fun.
Why do you care what he wants? Some fans just prefer that. Myself, I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the movies as they are. Hell, some of my favorites are ones that don't even come close to fitting into the original story's continuity. But, I would enjoy the movies infinitely more if they fit in properly with the original work. I like organization, and I wish the creators would tie the the stories into the source material the best that they can from now on (since they really couldn't during most of the manga's serialization), creating an expanded universe with multiple stories from multiple media sources that can be neatly woven together instead of the fucking chaos that is most of Dragon Ball's extra content.

Unless they want to do something really off the wall (gender-bent universe, feudal universe, highschool universe, whatever), there is really no reason for them not to try and fit any new material in with previously establish continuities anymore. I mean, it's not that hard to write a story within one of the time skips from the series now that it's finished. For those who don't care if it fits and just want to enjoy the ride, they obviously won't care either way, right? And for those who do want it to fit, they can be happy that it does, nay? There really isn't a reason for anyone to bitch about such things anymore, is there?

As for the "sad-asses" who are going to complain regardless of whether it fits or not, to hell with 'em. Not really trying to be rude here, but if they're just going to pull the "that's not canon" card in a discussion either way, what's the difference? Until the franchise gets a defined canon (HA!), that's their choice and we have to put up with it already (thanks to the aforementioned "fucking chaos" of most of the material we have to date), so what's one more instance? =P

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Why do you even care? Why can't you just enjoy a film without worrying about whether or not it's canonical? That's what I've never gotten about many Dragon Ball fans. I mean, even if it does fit, there will still be a bunch of sad-asses complaining about how because this thing doesn't work for them, it doesn't count (nor does it really have to, anyway). My favourite DBZ film is Movie #12, and that doesn't fit in at all, but you know what? I don't care, because it's still bloody good fun.
Why do you care what he wants? Some fans just prefer that. Myself, I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the movies as they are. Hell, some of my favorites are ones that don't even come close to fitting into the original story's continuity. But, I would enjoy the movies infinitely more if they fit in properly with the original work. I like organization, and I wish the creators would tie the the stories into the source material the best that they can from now on (since they really couldn't during most of the manga's serialization), creating an expanded universe with multiple stories from multiple media sources that can be neatly woven together instead of the fucking chaos that is most of Dragon Ball's extra content.

Unless they want to do something really off the wall (gender-bent universe, feudal universe, highschool universe, whatever), there is really no reason for them not to try and fit any new material in with previously establish continuities anymore. I mean, it's not that hard to write a story within one of the time skips from the series now that it's finished. For those who don't care if it fits and just want to enjoy the ride, they obviously won't care either way, right? And for those who do want it to fit, they can be happy that it does, nay? There really isn't a reason for anyone to bitch about such things anymore, is there?

As for the "sad-asses" who are going to complain regardless of whether it fits or not, to hell with 'em. Not really trying to be rude here, but if they're just going to pull the "that's not canon" card in a discussion either way, what's the difference? Until the franchise gets a defined canon (HA!), that's their choice and we have to put up with it already (thanks to the aforementioned "fucking chaos" of most of the material we have to date), so what's one more instance? =P
The only reason I care is because I have to hear it so constantly, when it's not that big a deal. I mean, yeah, I like things to be neatly organized too, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to flip tables over one minor little inconsistency that Toei or whoever may've overlooked.

I can say right now that I wouldn't like DBZ Movie #12 any better if it happened to fit into the continuity (I don't believe the Boo arc had even concluded yet, so how were Toei to know all that events that happened after that? They just made an educated guess and went with it). The reason that many people dislike DBZ Movie #6 isn't because Dende's the Kami of Earth much earlier than in the main continuity for unexplained reasons. It's because it's largely uninspired and destroys the irony of the previous film, with Coola being killed by the same Saiyan who he intentionally let escape and killed his brother too.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by Insertclevername on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I was counting the minutes until Movie 13 was explicitly called out for being different. Because it really is the easiest way to change it up- give us actual rising action, a decent supporting character or two, and then a fight that can afford to be shorter because it's actually been built up to. The only thing I think you'd really have to watch out for there is that it doesn't become a Naruto movie (Naruto encouraging and redeeming a sad or angry person with his indomitable shonen spirit), just because that's a bit too sentimental for Dragon Ball characters to really pull off. Just make people's first reactions "That was a good spin-off movie" rather than "That could have been a filler arc." Movie 13 gave a few critics that first reaction, as we know.

On the rung time, other animes can do 90 minute movies, I really don't see why Dragon Ball can't just because it's never been attempted. You just need a story that can handle it.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:06 am

I'd just like to say that Piccolo did come back in movie #9. It was his last time he saved Gohan. Haha, and I loved the questions part.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Ok, I just wanted to point out that at least following the info on the manga, this movie would have to be on the following 5 years after Buu. When Vegeta and Bulma visit Goku at the end, Bulma complains that they hadn't seen each other in 5 years (that's what I remember, sorry if I'm wrong).

In any case I would like one of these:

A race to find the Dragonballs just like in the Frieza Arc.
Bulma helping them big time, like at Plan to Eradicate All Saiyans.
Goku in the city is always hilarious.
An actual Gohan/Videl date.
Trunks and Goten at school = Pure Chaos.

A side story of someone realizing that the husband of the owner of Capsule Corp was a murderous alien from the Saiyan's first arrival to Earth. Maybe that reporter girl that has been appearing lately on the new stuff.

Just as someone above mentioned, Gohan and Videl wedding with some strange enemy crashing the party. It would kinda mirror Goku/Chichi last filler arc from DB.

I know it wouldn't happen but.... Saiyans from planet Saiya!!! :mrgreen:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 pm

^ You basically summed up everything I'm hoping for in that post. Also, I really love the wedding of Gohan/Videl being interrupted! :)

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Insertclevername wrote:^ You basically summed up everything I'm hoping for in that post. Also, I really love the wedding of Gohan/Videl being interrupted! :)
I could imagine Videl getting all angry screaming "THIS IS MY DAY!" and beating one of the weaker enemies to a pulp. Chichi, 18 and Bulma assist her and send all the boys to deal with the rest of the enemies... "NOW!".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 am

soulnova wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:^ You basically summed up everything I'm hoping for in that post. Also, I really love the wedding of Gohan/Videl being interrupted! :)
I could imagine Videl getting all angry screaming "THIS IS MY DAY!" and beating one of the weaker enemies to a pulp. Chichi, 18 and Bulma assist her and send all the boys to deal with the rest of the enemies... "NOW!".
All of my YES. I would love something like that.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:32 am

Once I get my actual computer back I'll make that Movie 12-esque idea image, a reality, haha.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06 am

"Oscar"?

(I have no idea, but is that not the Eva equivalent of the H word?)