Special Podcast Episode: DBZ Video Game Music #1

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Vejito

Re: Special Podcast Episode: DBZ Video Game Music #1

Post by Super Vejito » Tue May 28, 2013 6:43 pm

This podcast was a great trip down memory lane! As far as good songs go I'd also refer to Final Bout and the Super Butoden series, the soundtracks still hold up well even if there's nostalgia bias involved. Hikaru no Willpower flat out was my favourite song for a while as a kid and I kept on beating up poor Trunks over and over in Final Bout to hear that instrumental version (which worked out well for level grinding, lol). Very obvious pick, but that's just how it is.

I really loved this song and didn't find out till some years later where it came from, before that I only knew it as a Trunks theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aGWhuzI8M

I must have completely played through Super Saiya Densetsu at least five times for some reason, it's quite short. While the soundtrack is heavily dated even for a SNES game, it's pretty catchy. The final boss/Freeza theme at the 2:34 mark has the potential to be good on proper instruments IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD5Ix-VA0Mk
(The first battle/random encounter theme to this day triggers a vomiting response as you could not go for five steps without hearing it. Kind of like how Wind Waker's ocean made me allergic to the color blue for a while.)

And for some reason I keep on remembering this for nostalgia. Just what I remember the most from Hyper Dimension as well as being able to play as SUPER VEJITO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAy_lqgUj6s

Sadly, most of the old DB games were mediocre at best. They were great for showing a glimpse of characters and events to come and anything Japan could do no wrong for a while, but the music is the only thing that should be revisited for most of them.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue May 28, 2013 11:32 pm

A few of my own favorites are mostly PS1, I've really only played Final Bout, and some emulated SNES DBZ.

Freeza's Theme - Final Bout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhp3x9p2XAE
Although the theme itself didn't originate from Final Bout, I love the Final Bout version and seems to capture the essence of Freeza very well.

Buu's Theme - Final Bout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_8jWjUv4U
Gave the air of 'Oh shit, he's gonna screw you up', especially the beginning of it.

Trunks' Theme (Hikari no Willpower) - Final Bout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raiNaBA0orM
I known it was in other games, but this was got me introduced to the song. The vocal version is even better and fits Trunks to a tee. I've even gone a remixed the Final Bout version of the song to sound like a track in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.

Buu/Dabra Theme - Ultimate Battle 22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UByKEr12R4
I never played UB22, but this track sounds so classical, evil fits Dabra, but I could see this as a Freeza theme. Loved this song the first second I came across it.

I would love to be a part of one of the next ones since my major Dragon Ball Video Game playing started with Budokai. Played most of the games via English release, but own Sparking! Meteor in both English and Japanese (the soundtrack won me over).

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 am

Although I appreciate and can't thank y'all enough for the podcasts each week (even if I've missed out a months worth avoiding spoilers), this was 'special' indeed. Along with becoming familiar with the voices and fine musical taste of the community, I'd have to echo enjoying the nostalgia; especially from growing up with emulators for consoles.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm

It's sort of strange for me since I actually spent a lot of time on the NES and Gameboy games (especially the NES card RPGs and the Legacy of Goku series. Only played a bit of the other SNES/PS1 games, but DBZ Legends and Legendary Super Warriors hold a special place in my heart. Thanks for a great podcast, can't wait for more!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 30, 2013 9:01 am

Absolutely loving reading all the comments so far. It seems that people got out of it exactly what I wanted you to! That means it was either a really good show, I'm incredibly manipulative in my editing, or both. :twisted:

SSJ4 Furanki: Totally forgot about the first Budokai tournament music echoing Vegeta's Super Butōden 2 theme. I probably realized it at the time, but I rarely went back to that first game. Great little find. In a similar vein, and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this, one of the Dragon Universe flying-around tunes in the third game starts out with what I always felt was a tossback to "Never Ending, Never Give Up" from Legends.

Gaffer Tape: Glad you felt that way about your segment! That's totally what I was going for in terms of a feeling like it was part of a documentary. Haha! Love it~

BlazingFiddlesticks: Two mind-blows in one show (re: our bumper music, and re: Julian's song choice always existing out there)...? Mission accomplished, then!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 am

These songs bring me back...

This podcast made me realize I need to start collecting old DBZ video game soundtracks. I went to see if Toys N' Joys was still around since I remember them having some of the Super Butōden soundtracks as recently as last year and of course, they aren't.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Great little find. In a similar vein, and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this, one of the Dragon Universe flying-around tunes in the third game starts out with what I always felt was a tossback to "Never Ending, Never Give Up" from Legends.
I had to check even though I believed you 100%, you're right about that. Recognized that part as soon as I heard it.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Mike ‏@VegettoEX 5h
Any folks out there extensively play the "Sparking!" series as "Budokai Tenkaichi" & have any particular favorite replacement music tracks?
Does this mean what I think it means? :D If I had to guess, I'd say it's for when Mike's on holiday during Battle of Gods week. Another thing to look forward to then!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:13 am

VegettoEX wrote:BlazingFiddlesticks: Two mind-blows in one show (re: our bumper music, and re: Julian's song choice always existing out there)...? Mission accomplished, then!
I guess I'm easily impressed?