Episode #0342 (25 August 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0342 (25 August 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Episode #0342 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
46:39; 96 kbps, mono; 32.2 MB

Episode #0342! VegettoEX and Julian dive into the world of Dragon Ball's color comics. North America and Japan (as well as several other countries!) have been getting various print and digital releases of the color manga, but how do they all hold up? What else seems to be on the way? A week's worth of standard video game news and a fun tease of future website content wraps up the episode!
Referenced sites:
Enjoy the episode!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0342 (25 August 2013)

Post by Mewzard » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 am

I just tweeted about this before remembering the forum had a Podcast section, so I'll just repost here for discussion's sake:

"Aww Mike, come on, how did you not talk about Viz's FCDB release being US Graphic Novel Size (which tend to be 33% bigger). On the podcast that is. Julian might have felt the price was more justified if he knew the size of the volume."

You did post about it in the original news reveal:

"Viz Media will release Dragon Ball Full Color Edition on February 4, 2014 for US$19.99. The volume will be a larger size than regular manga, and will be about the same size as an American graphic novel."

But you probably forgot since then, it was almost two months ago (I just remember because I'm excited for it).

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

OH MAN! I totally LOVED the bit at the end with the author comments! Thanks so much for including that!! I literally LOL'd :lol:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Wow, it was very nice of you guys to mention me and my preview thread! :)
Glad that it's as useful as I wanted it to be, and I'll surely continue it as soon as I can (right now I have to wait and see if my glitched main computer will be back with its resizing tools for the preview pictures). 8)

And I do agree that it's really a shame that the Full Color print edition does not include the title pages!
The absence of title pages and the reduced size compared to the Kanzenban edition are the only things that bother me in that edition, and I hope that it will get fixed when it comes to France in a few years, but I know the chances are low since Glénat has a tendancy to keep the manga in line with the Japanese material (which is usually not a bad thing though).

As for correcting the inconsistencies of the first chapters, it's not impossible: when the fight between Son Goku and Piccolo is over and Goku convinces God to spare Piccolo, you can see glimpses of the whole story so far. In one of them, you can see Bulma and Goku from the first chapter, and Goku is back to blue clothes (despite the fact that they originally gave up the blue version for the orange version after the first two chapters) while Bulma has been corrected to have purple hair (which were still blue at this point of the story in the color manga).
It looks like a retcon of sorts.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Really enjoy hearing about the site-work from you guys and what projects are being worked on! Great episode, looking forward to seeing if there are other color changes between print and digital. And they really do need to release all of the colored title pages in the digital release. :?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:23 am

Just occurred to me that the idea for a Broly episode has been rolling around since 2011, maybe even before then. :shock: I dug up this little exchange from an old thread I made.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Broly Character Discussion- Breaks down his back story, his popularity and his movies.
Given how the character seems to have come into his own in recent years, I'll be the first to cite this as a somewhat inevitable topic. But there would probably need to be a decent amount of planning involved-- at least, that's how I would approach it. There's a lot to cover, and when there's an abundance of material, that almost always lends itself to the potential for a pretty good episode when the big picture is taken into consideration.

I recall Mike saying at one point that it would help to have a resident Broli superfan to include in the discussion with regards to an episode like this. I agree with that idea; I think it's important that Broli be given some kind of a positive voice so that there can be room for varying viewpoints as to his popularity, usage, legacy, etc. Otherwise, it would be pretty easy for the show to become an extended Broli bashing session.

That's not to say that you or the other hosts don't know how to be objective, Mike; rather, I'll point to the character himself, which for a lot of people carries a (not wholly undeserved) stigma and tends to speak for himself, despite even the best intentions.

My thoughts.

~Da Lemmy
My childhood dreams are coming true...well, not childhood, but y'know. :lol:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:00 pm

The question is, who would be the resident Broli fanboy?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 pm

I actually considered suggesting myself for that a few years back when the idea came up in another podcast or in a thread or something, but eh...not only do I not like Broly as much as I did then, I think my 'like' for Broly is mostly in a more apathetic way, and that I just don't 'hate' him like most do.

Besides, my microphone is shitty and the quality is so bad usually that even if Mike did take me up on the idea, he'd either laugh until he peed at it, or he'd feel an incredible urge to find me and beat me with a superior microphone. Either or. :P

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:00 pm

If there are any incredibly well-spoken Broli... let's say "aficionados"... with a good microphone that are interested, I wouldn't be opposed to trying them out and seeing if I'm interested having them on the show.

That being said, the bunch of us staff members are mostly indifferent to Broli, so I don't really see the conversation going to any negative spaces just because of OMG THE ANTI-BRAWLEY BIASED.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::