Episode #0352 (05 January 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0352 (05 January 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Episode #0352 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
65:31; 96 kbps, mono; 45.2 MB

Episode #0352! VegettoEX and Hujio dive back to dissect every "Vol. 1" release of the Dragon Ball Z TV series from FUNimation. Things kicked off with the "Arrival" VHS release in 1997, and continue onward today with the company's latest Blu-ray remaster. Over these seventeen years, how have the different releases stacked up to each other, how have they been marketed differently from each other, and where on Earth do we go from here?

Referenced sites:
We only scratched the surface of what we could talk about dissecting and comparing all of these releases, especially with regard to its marketing and all the double-talk going on. Look forward to a full-on feature inspired by this podcast in the (hopefully) near future!

(And yes, I completely forgot about "Who's That Character?" for a second time since debuting the segment. My record is not wonderful here...)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Re: Episode #0352 (05 January 2014)

Post by Ajay » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Great cast. I always enjoy the franchise history focused episodes and I can't help but laugh at what I can only describe as your apathetic disdain for Funimation.
Fingers crossed for an eventual 4:3 release!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Great episode! Actually was kind of nostalgic. Crazy amount of stuff has happened over the past couple of decades; that 2007-2011 period, in particular. It gets weird when you start associating years of your life with whatever DBZ release was coming out at the time. :lol:

On a side note, in New Zealand (and probably Australia), they put out a version of Ultimate Tenkaichi that included a DVD with the first six episodes of Kai.

Speaking of DVD/Blu-Rays with games, did you ever get that Blu-Ray of DBZ Movie One that came with Burst Limit? :P

Gonna give the episode another listen, actually. Looking forward to the "Year-End" episode!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Great episode you made me really sad when you started talking about the level sets. Can't wait for your review of the new season sets that'll be interesting. 8)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 pm

I was just curious I'm hoping you are going to do a predictions podcast episode for 2014 like you do every year for the next year i really enjoy that episode when you compare how close the predictions actually were and it has been the first week of January for the last few years.

Next Release i think could easily be the Dragon Boxes on Blu Ray

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 am

Well, like we said during the episode, Julian's sick and since he had claimed his spot on the 2013 recap/predictions episode, we delayed it a week so he could do it. Current plan is to do it next week. Once I figure out my recording schedule and confirm things with folks, I'll absolutely toss it out there on Twitter/Facebook/Google+ that we're ready for your new predictions.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm still hoping for a anniversary podcast. It been 10 years since the forums were made and almost 16 years since the site was created. This site is one of the oldest DBZ sites that are still active since most old DBZ sites died out years ago.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:23 am

That first version of "Arrival" sounds suspiciously like a lot of older '80s cartoon and Doctor Who releases that chopped multi-part stories up into one big "movie" presumably because kids would go nuts having to watch (read: fast forward through) the end credits and openings every twenty minutes or so. Back then it was to save time, though, since Beta tapes over an hour-before Sony rushed to produce higher capacity tapes (the limit ended up at 100 minutes)-would at best be recorded in Beta II (the Beta equivalent of LP mode), which increased the chances that a tape would wear out (which was a big reason that video rental stores hated Beta with a passion), and meant a decrease in picture quality.

In case anyone wonders, I'm 35, which suddenly feels really old after geeking out on Beta of all things.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:38 am

Yeah, I know I mentioned "for time" during the show, but I definitely don't think I made it clear enough that it, in addition to "attention span", also meant "looking at VHS capacity and it was a physical medium so more tape meant more cost and so on and so forth" :). It's another reason I'm looking forward to expanding it to a full "Feature" at some point in the near future, so I can drop even more of that stuff in.

For what it's worth, I'm 31, so whatevs. Age ain't a thing 'round here.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Loved this podcast, and coincidentally it was actually the first podcast I listened to on this site just about 3-4 weeks ago. I was giving it a re-listen this afternoon on the treadmill because I wanted to re-hear what you guys had to say about the interview with Funimation regarding the new BD series release. I immensely enjoy that you guys go into such detail in terms of framing how the interview came about, how the questions were selected, and then giving your own thoughts on the matter. Also, being a collector of the anime series in many of its iterations I enjoyed you going through each release of the first part of DBZ and it was good to hear the differences between each release in detail.