Episode #0362 (04 May 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0362 (04 May 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Episode #0362 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
58:31; 96 kbps, mono; 40.4 MB

Episode #0362! VegettoEX and Herms break down all of the recent in-universe bombshells from Akira Toriyama. From Buu to Kaioshin to the Artificial Humans, we have new information on pretty much everyone. Is this what we want Toriyama doing with his world all these years later? Your thoughts on the subject and our thanks to Koji Yada wrap up the episode.

Referenced sites:
Enjoy! :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Episode #0362 (04 May 2014)

Post by Basaku » Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Regarding one of the main 'themes' of the podcast, I would just prefer if AT either got fully re-involved in the franchise or just leave it be. Because one of the things that I think hurts him a bit ATM is that he can't really decide, he seems to have ideas sparking about lots of things DB but he doesn't want to do anything major again and it ends up being random bits here and there, with forgottoen info/background involved. It's just unfocused TBH and coupled with the similarly unfocused plan/vision how to utilize/move/milk the franchise on Toei & Shueisha's parts, we get the current lore, continuity and canon mess on all fronts.

It sure is cool period to be DB fan as we ARE getting lots of new stuff again in recent years, after more than a decade of drought. But the significance and purpouse of what we're getting is rather questionable.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 am

The new info has been interesting, but aside from the bit about having Gokû focus more on his base and ssj1 (which I mentioned in the other thread that I was cool with; his ssj2 not looking that much different from 1, and I never liked those eyebrows of ssj3's so not really gonna miss that one all that much) there wasn't anything really that grabbed me hard enough for me to want to pick it apart, or feel strongly about one way or the other.

What actually floored me the most in recent info was how in the expanded BOG director's cut, it's mentioned that Whis doesn't need to sleep (leading me to contemplate what his life must be like; especially since he lives with Beerus who sleeps most of the time).

The idea of there being a possible sequel to BOG already in the works is something that sounds exciting to me. I want it to be true. (More ssjg Gokû please. :3 )

I remember reading about the DBO Bardock plotline and found those masks decidedly creepy. I wonder if that info about Miira and Towa wanting to get a hold of Gokû's dna ever would've lead to anything.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 am

Mike...Majin Buu is dead in DBO. Every time he created another Majin, it took away some of his power to give it life. He literally procreated himself to death. There are statues and a recreation of his home in memorial to him.
Chuquita wrote:I wonder if that info about Miira and Towa wanting to get a hold of Gokû's dna ever would've lead to anything.
Miira is an Earthling from the future that was artificially enhanced with the DNA of many martial arts master. I would assume they want his DNA to increase his abilities further. The climax of that plot point of the game would probably been to either stop them from geting their hands on it once and for all, or defeating him after they did.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 07, 2014 6:38 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Mike...Majin Buu is dead in DBO. Every time he created another Majin, it took away some of his power to give it life. He literally procreated himself to death. There are statues and a recreation of his home in memorial to him.
Aaaaaah, gotcha. See, this is part of the problem having no first-hand experience! I also confuse the back-history timeline to the game with the game's actual events. It's like they're one-in-the-same to me. And I guess they sorta are, so when I say "Dragon Ball Online" I'm pretty much referring to "anything that happens in the material associated with the game, regardless of whether or not that's still the case in the game itself when someone was able to play it."

Yeah. That's the ticket. That covers me, right...?!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 am

Something has occurred to me about 17's family. Does he just join it, or is he helping with its setup? Does his wife have a child from another relationship plus the adopted kids before he comes along, or can we assume the one "true" child is 17's, and that he wanted more kids and adopted them? Does it matter? Am I crazy?

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Wed May 07, 2014 12:59 pm

My only problem with the new information is that it's too spread out. It makes the Chozenshuu less "chou". I would like to have all the new info, including the new transformations from Heroes in a new volume of chozenshuu or something.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 07, 2014 1:12 pm

So I'm listening right now, and when you guys got to the part about Beerus and the Old Kaioshin... did you guys maybe get something mixed up? This is the quote from Old Kaioshin as Jake translated himself...
That good ol' Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 479 (DBZ 285), P6.5, P7.2, P8.2-3
Elder Kaioshin: “That’s right. Long, long ago, there was this ridiculously strong and bad dude. Well, he wasn't as bad as this Majin Boo guy now, but still. He did it, he sealed me away inside that sword. Me here. He was freaked out by how fearsome I am. Yep, sure was.”
As it's translated here, "bad" and "strong" are noted separately, but it's the "bad" part where this past dude (apparently Beerus) was said to be less so than Majin Boo. So unless Jake mistranslated the original quote, or there's something in the Japanese that requires "bad" to mean "strong," then there actually wouldn't be as big a problem with the quote. Beerus would be exactly as described here. Strong and bad, but not as bad/evil as Majin Boo.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:24 pm

But there would still be the problem of, you know, the reasons for his sealing being completely different.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 07, 2014 4:27 pm

As it's translated here, "bad" and "strong" are noted separately, but it's the "bad" part where this past dude (apparently Beerus) was said to be less so than Majin Boo.
Rats, I really didn't phrase that well then. In Japanese he says the guy who sealed him away was strong and evil, but "not to the same extent" as Boo; in other words, the way it's phrased makes it sound like this guy was neither as strong nor as evil as Boo. I went with "not as bad as" rather than "not to the same extent as" because I thought that sounded much more natural, but it does make it sound like he's only talking about the "evil" side of the equation. Whoops.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed May 07, 2014 6:33 pm

Oh my God, I was finally mentioned in a podcast episode!!! I can now die in peace. :angel:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 am

I believe Mike himself once said, in relation to Episode of Bardock, I think, "Who really cares? (This series has been over sine 1995)." That about sums it up for me.

I mean, to be a mite crass, this what I get from this:

#17 and #18 names? That they don't use anymore? That are totally their backgrounds and when Dr. Gero abducted them? Buu is even more (almost redundantly) ancient? Old Kai gloating like an old fart over vague details of what this new info now places at millions of years ago? A race that was humans with a tail for the first five years of the comic's run, that has at least tens of thousands of itself alive at any one point over thousands of years of existence (at least during Freeza's time in their lives, can produce the odd duck who isn't aggressive by nature? Not that that actually matters because Goku's innocent for hitting his head no matter what family predisposition Toriyama gives him?

It's just not a big deal. Not so far, anyway. Most importantly, as anyone can point out, none of it has any effect on the story as it actually exists, and nothing that is not related to Bardock is running so deep that its of a "can't unhear" nature, either. Does Toriyama need a reference? Are you going to deny him is creator's liberties? Particularly after admitting that he did do his homework and took Toei corrections for Battle of Gods, where it actually mattered? (And if anyone wants to bring up the base Goku thing... what does that actually do to anything? Make the movies produced a decade plus before fit even less into the series? That's hardly collateral damage.)

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:19 pm

I think Boo being an immortal evil force that Bibidi summons makes the story better, because it enforces the Jinn aspects of Boo!

Whose that Character!?

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Fri May 09, 2014 3:18 am

Kakarot88 wrote:I think Boo being an immortal evil force that Bibidi summons makes the story better, because it enforces the Jinn aspects of Boo!

Whose that Character!?

Dr. Gero died like 4 or 5 times in the anime (including GT), I'll miss Kouji Yada, he was very good.

About Elder Kaioshin saying that Beerusu was weaker than Buu, is not really a plothole. We know how strong Beerusu is in Battle of Gods, but we know nothing about him from the time of the Elder Kaioshin. In theory he has been trained by Whis so he has gotten stronger over the years for sure.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

Darknat wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:I think Boo being an immortal evil force that Bibidi summons makes the story better, because it enforces the Jinn aspects of Boo!

Whose that Character!?

Dr. Gero died like 4 or 5 times in the anime (including GT), I'll miss Kouji Yada, he was very good.
Ahh yes, but there is something unique in this performance, check it with your discs if you have them and you'll catch it to :)
...Plus Mike gave us all a lay up more or less.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat May 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Kaboom wrote:So I'm listening right now, and when you guys got to the part about Beerus and the Old Kaioshin... did you guys maybe get something mixed up? This is the quote from Old Kaioshin as Jake translated himself...
That good ol' Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 479 (DBZ 285), P6.5, P7.2, P8.2-3
Elder Kaioshin: “That’s right. Long, long ago, there was this ridiculously strong and bad dude. Well, he wasn't as bad as this Majin Boo guy now, but still. He did it, he sealed me away inside that sword. Me here. He was freaked out by how fearsome I am. Yep, sure was.”
As it's translated here, "bad" and "strong" are noted separately, but it's the "bad" part where this past dude (apparently Beerus) was said to be less so than Majin Boo. So unless Jake mistranslated the original quote, or there's something in the Japanese that requires "bad" to mean "strong," then there actually wouldn't be as big a problem with the quote. Beerus would be exactly as described here. Strong and bad, but not as bad/evil as Majin Boo.
Is it just me, or does the quote sound like he's blatantly lying, especially with that 'Yep, sure was' at the end?