Episode #0373 (25 January 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0373 (25 January 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Episode #0373 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
56:36; 96 kbps, mono; 39.1 MB

Episode #0373! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss the role of filler in a series like Dragon Ball and the various milestones at which the TV adaptation began to catch up with the manga serialization. Just how close did it get? Toss in some great "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" and "Revival of F" news, and that's a show!

Referenced sites:
Wait, didn't we JUST RELEASE the previous episode...?! I-is this... a... weekly schedule?!?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0373 (25 January 2015)

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 pm

I did love that filler article in the magazine, it is a bit surreal to think of something so franchise-defining in the States as simply being the product of the weekly Shonen adaptation model at its lowest point, even if that is the simple quantifiable reason.

I have no idea what Araki's publishing schedule is right now, but I really don't see how JoJo is anything but the best case scenario, barring Togashi getting to do seemingly whatever he wants with Hunter x Hunter. David Productions has seven complete parts to go through, I would think that is enough content that major padding is not a a concern. Even with Stardusts' purely "villain of the week" setup, you just make stories you can plausibly break into two-parters two-parters, as they have been doing the past six or so enemies, and boom, you fill twice as many weeks with technically drawn-out stuff that does not actually feel that drawn out.

My favorite from less than a week ago: "Viz clearly does not think that their audiences (The Wall Street Journal and Shonen Jump) overlap. They're probably wrong." Quite.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:16 am

You get my hopes up with that half-joking (?) point on more F information before the week is over. TuT

Re: Pilaf Gang
I really did enjoy them in BOG. Shigeru Chiba's voice acting is awesome. They were a terribly guilty pleasure and actually got that Nakatsuru back to key animate them if I remember right. That said as long as it doesn't feel like they're just eating up time, it's fine.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 am

I would assume that Frog-Ginyū died when Boo blew up the Earth, and wasn't brought back by Porunga because he'd be 'really really evil'.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:29 pm

"Dear Zarathustra" has Dragon Ball lyrics? It was written for the series?

*reads main site*

Well, crap. Those lyrics do seem to reference the Buu arc. I was hoping I could justify not buying these ending themes because they "were just random rock/pop songs with no legit relation to the show."

Fascinating episode! Hujio did a ton of research for this one. Thanks for all the hard work! I've missed the podcast.

I'm surprised Chikao Ōtsuka's passing hasn't been mentioned yet, either on the website or the podcast. I know you guys usually like to have that kind of news archived. Then again, there has been a lot of stuff to digest and catch up on lately.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Just for clarification about the title page for chapter 12, since just describing illustration restoration on a podcast doesn't really do it justice, here's a before and after comparison of the title page.

Image Image

Let me tell ya, scans of 30 year old issues of Jump, let alone recent issues, are not the highest of quality. The print job is pretty terrible and the paper has really aged, turning it yellow.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Random('s?) thoughts on the podcast:

The Mai-Trunks relationship was and still is extremely creepy. Anyway, note that Trunks would actually be 16 in the new movie (assuming Whis' line about Beerus needing to sleep 3 years was accurate). Your mileage may vary on whether you still consider him to be a kid at that age, but the way you talked about it implied you thought he was younger than that, so.

My favorite Pilaf theory is "Pilaf becomes the new SSG and one-shots Freeza". Marginally related: as much as I dislike Pilaf, I think I'd actually prefer him to be the villain over a revived Freeza.

Ginyu Frog is probably dead. He surely died when Pure Buu blew up the Earth, but in my opinion he most likely died earlier, when Super Buu fired the Human Extinction Attack (the lack any animal life anywhere besides Buu's dog is weird, as is the idea that Buu would be nice enough to spare the animals). I guess he could have been brought back, though. I mean, one would think that committing numerous genocides and killing billions if not trillions of innocents would mark someone as a "really, really bad guy"... but then again, Vegeta got revived.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:The Mai-Trunks relationship was and still is extremely creepy. Anyway, note that Trunks would actually be 16 in the new movie (assuming Whis' line about Beerus needing to sleep 3 years was accurate). Your mileage may vary on whether you still consider him to be a kid at that age, but the way you talked about it implied you thought he was younger than that, so.
Close, but he's 8 in the Buu Arc, which is in AGE 774. Battle of Gods is in 778 and another 3 years would put us in 781 if Whis' estimate proves right. 8 years plus the extra 7 would make him 15.

Not that that's much better, but Goku and Kuririn were still shrimps at that age.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:13 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:The Mai-Trunks relationship was and still is extremely creepy. Anyway, note that Trunks would actually be 16 in the new movie (assuming Whis' line about Beerus needing to sleep 3 years was accurate). Your mileage may vary on whether you still consider him to be a kid at that age, but the way you talked about it implied you thought he was younger than that, so.
Close, but he's 8 in the Buu Arc, which is in AGE 774. Battle of Gods is in 778 and another 3 years would put us in 781 if Whis' estimate proves right. 8 years plus the extra 7 would make him 15.

Not that that's much better, but Goku and Kuririn were still shrimps at that age.
Ah, right.

Trunks himself wasn't, though.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 am

No, not as future Trunks he wasn't. But one could argue that he and his present self aren't 100% the same character, even genetically, due to time travel butterfly effect shenanigans. So it doesn't bother me too much if he follows the stunted growth pattern.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:04 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:No, not as future Trunks he wasn't. But one could argue that he and his present self aren't 100% the same character, even genetically, due to time travel butterfly effect shenanigans. So it doesn't bother me too much if he follows the stunted growth pattern.
You could, but I don't see any real valid reason to. The series clearly presented the two versions of Trunks as the same person in different circumstances.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:08 am

That is how the series presented it, but If present Trunks isn't at least the same height as his 14 year old future counterpart was (or perhaps taller if he's 15 or whatever in the new film), that would be enough of a reason for me to entertain the notion that the two may have a veeeery slight difference between their genes or whatever.