Episode #0374 (08 February 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0374 (08 February 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Episode #0374 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
29:12; 96 kbps, mono; 20.2 MB

Episode #0374! VegettoEX and Meri provide some early, first impressions on "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" based on its Japanese release. Dimps is back at the development helm, and a custom character creation mode gives players a chance to intervene on history's behalf to save the Dragon Ball timeline. Is the game everything we had been hoping for, and how do its online modes affect the general gameplay experience?

Referenced sites:
Due to the episode being so short, I actually edited stuff into the YouTube version (which, as of the initial posting here, is still uploading). Insanity.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Re: Episode #0374 (08 February 2015)

Post by Ajay » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice little first impressions. Thanks for answering my question.

Good to hear the MMO aspects are actually nicely implemented! I like the idea of having to grind out some side missions before tackling the main missions. Sounds like the game is definitely rewarding.

Parallel quests, too! Glad you spoke about them. Can you host your own lobby for those and do them with your friends? I assume that's the case and it's not just a random party finder.

Looking forward to diving into the mechanics myself, though! Ended up cancelling my PS4 pre-order after the 30fps reveal so I'm currently waiting on that sweet PC version (while lamenting over the precious few days I have to wait over everyone else)!

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:22 am

Very happy to hear your impressions on XV are relatively positive. How would you say it compares to a game like J-Stars?

Also as a side note, thank you for these podcasts. You guys are always a delight to listen to.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:34 am

Great episode as always!

Btw, since you didn`t answer my question, I`ll ask it here:
Who voices Jaco, and how the music is (composer?)?

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 pm

"I get Coola's facemask, Kuriza's head... I'd say you get to make the character you want to make, generally."

Do you really, though? Or are you walking mash-up, because so much of the appeal of character creators in games about existing properties is in imitation? I mean, that's precisely why the trailer hero character was such a perfectly executed gag, the only remotely original thing about him was his facial structure. I mean, I love to do clashing designs in games like Soul Calibur, but that loses most of its appeal in something like Dragon Ball when you look upon your work and think "Hmm, this is Uub with Broly's physique and Piccolo's cape and turban" or something of the sort.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm

Considering that we have very few examples of Freeza's race to begin with, and that the new traits they have created for the race in this game (in terms of body armor, not head parts) generally look bad or overly complicated...I'd settle on mixing and matching stuff like Kurieza's head and Coola's mask to make my characters. That way they don't have to look like a 5 year old who wanted their "Icejin to look super hardcore with spike EVERYWHERE because he's maximum stronger than Broli and Omega Shenron combined".

That's really only for the Freeza Clan though.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Fantastic podcast, I felt that everyone did a brilliant job of explaining how the game differs from the previous few. I just picked up my copy of Xenoverse and although the servers can't keep up with the demand it is a very exciting game. I did try some online missions earlier and it is quite fun. I love all the custom characters, people have great imaginations!