Episode #0378 (05 April 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0378 (05 April 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Episode #0378 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
57:28; 96 kbps, mono; 39.6 MB

Episode #0378! VegettoEX and Julian review "Dragon Ball Z: Revival of 'F'" from its first preview screening in Japan! Spoilers are in full effect, so once the video game news wraps up, everything is up for discussion. Listen in for Julian's take on the writing, the animation and the tone of the upcoming film!

Referenced sites:
Enjoy... :D. (I'd apologize for having to record Julian's track from the actual Skype call, but it sounds totally fine. I will apologize for my nasally tone this week, though. Thankfully Julian does most of the talking!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0378 (05 April 2015)

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Very nice, in-depth review. I think you guys hit pretty much everything I wanted to know about. Must admit, this episode is a bit of a stark contrast to the raw excitement from the first 'BOG-cast' in March of 2013 (have you guys listened to that recently? Mike was pretty much melting by the end of it!). I liken it to the feeling of finishing the series for the first time and when you begin to look at it more critically. You pretty much lose your innocence. :lol: I guess there has been a few days for Julian to let the movie sink in, whereas with BOG, I'm pretty sure the podcast was out on the same day as its release. Still, us fans are getting too spoilt for our own good. Shakes fist.

It's good to know that this movie is another fun outing, but I would be lying if I said my excitement hasn't been dampened somewhat over the pass week or so. I think that's pretty much entirely down to the nature of knowing everything, though. I'm still really looking forward to seeing it, especially the fight scenes and the antics with Jaco and the gang.

I'll be very interested to know if there are any juicy tidbits within 'Volume F', particularly after all this discussion of the movie feeling incomplete. Any information from the production side of things should be fascinating, but I wonder if we'll hear about anything on the level of BOG's script overhaul; like maybe specific requests were made to Toriyama during the writing process, such as having to include new transformations for merchandising purposes or something along those lines.

Phew, after all this, it makes we wonder how things would've been if BOG stuck to Watanabe's original vision. Or if Toei never took the plunge on BOG at all. Or if BOG had been a last hurrah for the franchise and that it's it. Endless possibilities. If and when we get a new film (fairly sure we will), the build-up for it should be interesting. With Julian back in the US, we might actually have to learn to be patience for once. :P I don't think I've been able to properly appreciate just how lucky we are to get this information so instantaneously. So thanks, guys! :D

Can't wait to hear all of the shenanigans from the L.A premiere next week! The different perspectives should be interesting.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Beerus confirmed for cheese buster. Gonna have to go redo my charts!

Great review though. Loved hearing Julian's first-hand thoughts. Honestly, I'm still stoked to see this film. And after hearing the review, I'm really hoping for an extended version down the road. Can't wait to see it myself!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:16 pm

This all makes me want to see the possible extended edition. TuT

Knowing the voice performances and dialogue are strongest parts:
-those are two things I especially like about this series
-I'm curious about how translation will go for the subs at the L.A. premiere (and lament that N.Y.C isn't getting one too)
-I still really wanna see this in Japanese before the dub so if there's no sub theater release nearby I'll wait out Japan's home release
-and import the blu-ray, but probably not the limited edition blu-ray this time (because it doesn't look like there'd be anything that could get me to shell out the extra for the limited like 'cute magenta-haired Gokû' can)
-though I will pay for the super-fast shipping again

I'm still sad about no major plot expansion with the 12 universes, and about Gokû also getting blue ssj, and I still don't know if his ssjg mode appears early on, and I still really wanted to see 'Dragon Back to the Future: Part 2' ('Where we're going, we don't need dragon balls.' *Flips sunglasses down.*), but 'Movie 12: Part 2' sounds like it'll at least be fun by virtue of dialogue and back-and-forths.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 am

I am more excited to see the movie after listening to this! So by the sound of it this is basically BoG except it focuses more on action this time? Cool. Also the animation being the strongest when the action happening is awesome hear.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:26 am

"Freeza humiliation conga line"

Sounds like my kind of film........though I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing. I was assuming this film was going to be aimed at Freeza fans, but it almost sounds like a "Freeza revenge movie" for people who don't like Freeza. So it'll be interesting to see what a general audience makes of the film.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:31 pm

It's depressing frankly. Freeza failed, the exact same way he did against Goku the first time. Only thing I hoped for was that that Freeza's new form in the fight would be an amazing fight, and Freeza will only lose when both sides have extinguished all their powers, but the heroes just had a little bit left. But, nope Freeza has not sufficiently trained his new form after achieving, and cannot contain his power. bleh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 pm

The moral of the story appears to be "nobody changes, even when they know what they did wrong the first time." Gokuu's actions finally came back to bite him in the ass and so did Freeza's.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:22 pm

I don't know. I kind of like how Freeza is treated in the film from the sounds of things. It seems very in character of him to be revived and attempt to overcome what he perceives as his fatal flaw for why he was defeated last time. Only to realize by the end of the film that he's a hopeless bastard that has MANY flaws and was pretty much doomed to failure because of them and having to fall back on playing dirty. Though he did come so close to victory. If only Beerus and Whis hadn't been there, he would have had his revenge. Probably not as satisfying as he would have liked, but he would have had it. Too bad. =P

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Julian came in so pumped to praise the movie and explain everything as "Toriyama's style" and then as the time goes by he ackowledges one flaw after another leaving not much to count as a plus :P Sure was entertaining :P

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:26 am

Basaku wrote:Julian came in so pumped to praise the movie and explain everything as "Toriyama's style" and then as the time goes by he ackowledges one flaw after another leaving not much to count as a plus :P Sure was entertaining :P
I think you need to go back and listen again. :P

Everything I "acknowledged" was something I set out to bring up from the start. And while the film has its flaws (especially if you're looking for them, and it's our mission to break down and analyse everything), that doesn't stop it from being entertaining.

I'm sure must sound like a massive takedown if you've already made up your mind that you won't like the movie because of those things, but that's not where I was coming from at all. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:53 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:but that's not where I was coming from at all. :)
I know that, hence why it was kinda entertaining when it just unravealed itself :P Personally I can be well entertained by Transformers flicks too but it doesn't stop me from wishing there was more to it/less flaws. With ROF, kinda hard not to have tamed expectations when multiple people who watched the movie say that storytelling & pacing has major issues. Like I said in another thread, I'm hoping for a big pay-off in Movie #3 or a new series or whatever comes next and that it will retro-actively negate some of ROF's apparent flaws as well.

Now, when is our 2-hour podcast special about EOZ Goten's perfection coming? :D

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Interesting podcast. I don't buy the idea that Freeza not working out the stamina issue was a flaw. He was literally thousands if not millions of times stronger. Taking some extra time to work on stamina is just a complete waste if you've already gone that far power-wise, since things would have to be RIDICULOUSLY convenient for you to be strong enough to fight your opponent but not strong enough to win immediately. There was a 99% sure Freeza would either one-shot his foe or just get one-shotted. Also, I don't buy that this is Freeza's humiliation conga line, at least compared to the humiliation every other character except Whis and perhaps Goku experienced. He got an entire movie based around him, defeated Vegeta, defeated Gohan (with one blast... in his fist form!), sorta defeated Goku, and became the most powerful villain ever for poorly explained and plot-hole-ridden reasons. An actual humiliation conga line would be... well, everything that happened after Goku went Super Saiyan in the manga. Or GT.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I don't know. I kind of like how Freeza is treated in the film from the sounds of things. It seems very in character of him to be revived and attempt to overcome what he perceives as his fatal flaw for why he was defeated last time. Only to realize by the end of the film that he's a hopeless bastard that has MANY flaws and was pretty much doomed to failure because of them and having to fall back on playing dirty. Though he did come so close to victory. If only Beerus and Whis hadn't been there, he would have had his revenge. Probably not as satisfying as he would have liked, but he would have had it. Too bad. =P
His only real flaw, as far as the story was concerned, was not being strong enough. Well, that, and being lazy and stupid. That wasn't his problem here; he got a million times stronger and was willing to just instantly blow up the planet. He only lost because he again wasn't strong enough.