Kind Soundwaves: Innagadadavida w/ VegettoEX (April 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kind Soundwaves: Innagadadavida w/ VegettoEX (April 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Hey all!

So there's no podcast this week, but there's actually a new podcast episode for you anyway! Friend of the site Innagadadavida has been releasing his own podcast called "Kind Soundwaves" that you should absolutely be checking out - in addition to fantastic discussions taking place, there are probably some familiar voices there. You can grab the show on YouTube and iTunes.

In terms of Kanzenshuu-specific stuff, Dustin's latest episode is almost certainly up your alley. There's some general DBZ talkings, but also quite a bit of the realest of real-talk inside baseball. Running a site, reflection on your own fandom, dealing with online criticism... good stuff here.

So check it out! Just under two hours of listening goodness. Listen to the episode on YouTube, grab the MP3 directly, or toss the RSS feed into your preferred subscription program.

0:00 - Opening
3:55 - Grandma's brief history of Dragon Ball
9:18 - Introductions and current Dragon Ball events (Xenoverse, movies, Heroes, etc.)
29:23 - Running the site in these exciting times of new material
31:52 - History of the site
37:13 - Continuation of fandom and reflection on it
46:10 - Kanzenshuu as a resource
54:14 - Forums, administration, online criticism, digital anthropology
1:10:20 - Podcasting, playing "characters" online
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ShadowDude112
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Kind Soundwaves: Innagadadavida w/ VegettoEX (April 2015

Post by ShadowDude112 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 am

Just letting you all know, Mike posted that little time chapter thing because the first 10 minutes are basically just unfunny things that Inna decided to put in that are just painful to listen to. Just skip it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:56 am

Uhh... I thought it was hysterical...?

I put them there because I figured some regular audience members here might not want to listen to me talk about Xenoverse for the billionth time, and then I figured if I did one time breakdown, I might as well do them all.

Your response is particularly fascinating in light of the content discussed in the show.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:20 am

I loved the cast, and although I wouldn't have put it so bluntly, I did find those first ten minutes painfully unfunny.

The rest of the episode was great! It was really nice to see the veil of the 'Super Shonen Attitude' half removed for some very honest insight into your perspective on fans and how things are run here.

As someone who has occasionally lost his cool on a bad day, only to come back later and apologise, it's nice to see that kinda thing recognised and separated from those who are truly toxic.

We seem to share a perspective on fans who adamantly refuse to acknowledge the original version of the show. It's always been odd to me that someone can be so caught up in the intricacies of the series, but they're often details that simply don't exist in the show their dub is based on.

And jeez, I think that line about "there's a wealth of information out there and you want to debate numbers" is a quote for the ages! I laughed far too much at that.

Good episode. Would love to hear more tidbits about running the site. I was kinda hoping this would take a specific look at the toxic reaction fans have had with the film, so maybe that could be something touched on later.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:22 am

VegettoEX wrote:Your response is particularly fascinating in light of the content discussed in the show.
I just assumed he was poking fun at that. Either way, I think it was a fun way of delivering a little bit of context to those who might not be as familiar with some of this stuff.

With that being said, this was a really satisfying podcast. I honestly feel like I got a huge amount of this and I actually found it kind of inspiring. Even listened to it twice! The behind-the-scenes perspectives were really fascinating to me and I found I could relate to a lot of the discussion. Perspective is the word, really. I also agree with Ajay in the sense that it felt like you were able to switch off the filter somewhat, and be a bit more blunt (not sure if that's the right word) about your thoughts regarding the community.

Definitely gonna check out the other episodes of Dustin's podcast. Really enjoyed his contributions in the Raging Blast 2 and the Ultimate Tenkaichi reviews, as well.

Oh, and for the record, I like the first 100 episodes of the podcast. I think it's cool that we have a way to go back and sort of re-live 2006/2007- on the DB-side of things anyway. There's also a lot of great banter. :P

ShadowDude112

Post by ShadowDude112 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Uhh... I thought it was hysterical...?

I put them there because I figured some regular audience members here might not want to listen to me talk about Xenoverse for the billionth time, and then I figured if I did one time breakdown, I might as well do them all.

Your response is particularly fascinating in light of the content discussed in the show.
The rest of the show was fine. It was just those first 10 minutes that were impossible to sit through. It tries so hard to be funny and falls flat.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:01 pm

ShadowDude112 wrote:Just letting you all know, Mike posted that little time chapter thing because the first 10 minutes are basically just unfunny things that Inna decided to put in that are just painful to listen to. Just skip it.
Innagadadavida was in a position where he felt he had to bring people up to speed that might not already know the history of DBZ in the US. He could have just said it all in his normal voice, but he got creative and I think it came out really well. If you didn't like it, that's totally fine, but I don't think you should tell people to just skip it.

ShadowDude112

Post by ShadowDude112 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
ShadowDude112 wrote:Just letting you all know, Mike posted that little time chapter thing because the first 10 minutes are basically just unfunny things that Inna decided to put in that are just painful to listen to. Just skip it.
Innagadadavida was in a position where he felt he had to bring people up to speed that might not already know the history of DBZ in the US. He could have just said it all in his normal voice, but he got creative and I think it came out really well. If you didn't like it, that's totally fine, but I don't think you should tell people to just skip it.
Even if it was, it could have been much better and not as bad as it was. It felt like it was trying to pander to the lowest common denominator. Almost like it was focused on the, I dunno, the reddit community or something. Where everything has to be funny so it can be "up-voted". I dunno. It feels entirely unnecessary. I'm not trying to be mean. I'll admit, my initial response was very mean, it wasn't meant to be. But the first 10 minutes aren't good. Like, it's not. Even if I wasn't into Dragon Ball, I'd skip that because I wouldn't like how it sounded.

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:26 pm

I loved it myself. I think the problem is that too much of the fanbase is offended by anything that pokes fun at FUNimation and the English dub.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:59 pm

thefalseprophecy wrote:I loved it myself. I think the problem is that too much of the fanbase is offended by anything that pokes fun at FUNimation and the English dub.
In all fairness, the same could be same about much of the fanbase whenever anything is said against the Japanese version. Both sides have a long history of being "persecuted" (I hesitate to use the word in this case, but I'm drawing a blank on a better one) by the other, probably more so than any other single series on the sub/dub debate. While things have certainly come a long way and calmed down quite a bit, tensions still occasionally rise on both sides of the debate.

On this topic but bringing it in from the podcast itself, I find I pretty much agree with Mike on this one, albeit maybe with far less vigor. As a big fan of the series, I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to at least check out the original version, but if they come to find that it really just isn't to their tastes, then by all means. That's a fair and legitimate viewpoint. They gave it a try and didn't like it. There's no shame in that. There's absolutely no reason for someone to shame someone for watching the dub anymore, not with any dubs of the material done nowadays being much more accurate, and the wide availability of the Japanese version to fans who do prefer that version.

In short, people like what they like. There's never any need to be a jerk to someone about their preferences.

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:In short, people like what they like. There's never any need to be a jerk to someone about their preferences.
I totally agree and I apologize if it sounds like I'm being a jerk to those who prefer the English dub.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:28 pm

No worries, not at all. :thumbup: I just felt like that was a point that was worth fleshing out more, as the question or answer on that particular topic is never one-sided.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Loved the granny recap. Maybe that bit is only funny to people who've been fans since 1997ish era.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:59 pm

ShadowDude112 wrote:Even if it was, it could have been much better and not as bad as it was. It felt like it was trying to pander to the lowest common denominator. Almost like it was focused on the, I dunno, the reddit community or something. Where everything has to be funny so it can be "up-voted". I dunno. It feels entirely unnecessary. I'm not trying to be mean. I'll admit, my initial response was very mean, it wasn't meant to be. But the first 10 minutes aren't good. Like, it's not. Even if I wasn't into Dragon Ball, I'd skip that because I wouldn't like how it sounded.
Well if ya'll want my two cents on the intro, I was having fun. Also I was being myself. That is how I joke around with my friends and loved ones. I'm also just starting out, so I'm trying to find my voice. I am not a professional at all, if you look at the description of the show, I point that out. I am also not a comedian. Everything in the intro was more-or-less stream of consciousness. I prepared very little of it. I applied effects because I am experimenting. The whole show is an experiment.

So I take it that you don't like that sort of thing and you probably wouldn't like me very much. That's fine though. I don't need everyone to like me.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Innagadadavida was in a position where he felt he had to bring people up to speed that might not already know the history of DBZ in the US. He could have just said it all in his normal voice, but he got creative and I think it came out really well. If you didn't like it, that's totally fine, but I don't think you should tell people to just skip it.
Duo wrote:Loved the granny recap. Maybe that bit is only funny to people who've been fans since 1997ish era.
To everyone else, thank you so much for the warm regard. I appreciate very much that there are people out there who enjoyed the show. I'm going to keep trying to improve and keep trying to bring interesting and insightful content to the show.
VegettoEX wrote:Your response is particularly fascinating in light of the content discussed in the show.
I'm really reveling in the irony over here. Things have come full circle.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:34 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:To everyone else, thank you so much for the warm regard. I appreciate very much that there are people out there who enjoyed the show. I'm going to keep trying to improve and keep trying to bring interesting and insightful content to the show.
I had actually written my comment before listening to the majority of the episode. After getting through the rest...I loved it and intend to listen to the rest of your episodes over the next few days. Thanks for putting out this content!
I'm really reveling in the irony over here. Things have come full circle.
The discussion about acting idiotically on these forums hits home for me. I even had an argument or two with VegettoEX if I recall correctly way back when. Picking up my activity here recently sent me into a significant amount of retrospect on the matter. It's really special and terrifying to be on a message board where people can see things I wrote angrily about power levels (WHY DID I FUCKING CARE?!?) at the age of 17. Twas' a real pleasure listening to both of you talk about your experiences throughout fandom history.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Re: Kind Soundwaves: Innagadadavida w/ VegettoEX (April 2015)

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:32 pm

~-~-~-~-~:::::::::::~-~-~-~-~
::::::::SHOW UPDATE::::::::

Hello again, everybody! It's been about a year and a half since this episode of the podcast was first posted here. A lot of things have changed since then, but I am re-releasing the interview in a new coat of paint, so to speak. Why did I do this? Well, I basically rebooted the Kind Soundwaves show, and did this to nearly all the old episodes I recorded. I wanted to try something new, and whether that is a good or bad idea, I'll let you be the judge. I cut out a lot of material and stripped it down to its bare essentials. I narrowed the focus and added clips and samples of the topics of discussion.

Click Here to Check It Out (YouTube)
Right-click and "Save As" the MP3 Download Here

This time the conversation is focused primarily on the website Kanzenshuu and the Podcast. If you love Kanzenshuu, you'll love hearing this show. It's a celebration of our favorite Dragon Ball community and we get to hear VegettoEX tell us some insider secrets. For example, did you know the beginning of every Kanzenshuu podcast, where he tells you what the show is and when it was recorded, that part was directly inspired by another podcast called Diggnation? There's lots more cool bits of info about the site and the podcast that any member of this community would enjoy hearing.

Just one heads up though, I did add some material to the show that has nothing to do with Kanzenshuu directly, but instead relates to the conversation in another tangential way. Another thing is the availability of the old version of the show. With all the old episodes, after I posed the cut, refreshed, KAI version of the show (if you will), I removed the old episodes. However, with this episode I will keep it unlisted on YouTube. That way all the links still work and you can go back and listen to the full discussion if you so desire. Before I made this choice to keep the old version around, I stupidly removed the archive.org version of the show. So all links to the direct MP3 file are lost. And I don't have it anymore. If you would like an MP3, there are sites that will convert YouTube videos to MP3, and you have my permission to do that to the old version of this episode if you want. The YouTube version will remain uploaded as an unlisted video for as long as YouTube is around.

If you enjoyed the show, please give the others a listen. Almost all of them have something about Kanzenshuu/Daizenshuu. Whether that be Brain Trash's bold criticism of the community, the stories of myself meeting someone on Daizenshuu EX who became a close friend, and of course an interview with KaiserNeko the creator of Dragon Ball Z Abridged. Kanzenshuu has had such an impact on me and affected my life in a very positive way. I can't help but have almost all episodes of the podcast so far relate to the site in one way or another.

Image Image Image

VegettoEX

Re: Kind Soundwaves: Innagadadavida w/ VegettoEX (April 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:35 pm

I approve of this bump. Our attempts to record a podcast the last couple weeks have been thwarted by disease and bad schedules, so this can help fill in some time!