Episode #0380 (03 May 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0380 (03 May 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 am

Episode #0380 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
47:19; 96 kbps, mono; 32.7 MB

Episode #0380! VegettoEX, Hujio and Meri discuss the recently-announced, new TV series: "Dragon Ball Super". What do we know about it so far, and what should we expect? How will it fit in with the existing franchise stories?

Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Episode #0380 (03 May 2015)

Post by Rukura » Sun May 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Absolutely phyched for Super....while in morbid dread. Sailor Moon Crystal's animation, Dragon Ball Kai's soundtrack and care taken into it make me worry. BUT Toei cannot underdeliver after all this hype.

Side-note: Meri said she doesn't care about GT and won't watch "that shit" past the first 4 episodes. Made me think of the GT review. Sadface.

Kinda wondering if it might tie-in with the Online/Xenoverse story. Imagining moment where time-travelling gone wrong and they end up in multiple timelines for a few seconds and one of them's GT timeline for a bit :P

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun May 03, 2015 4:30 pm

I think that Dragon Ball Super is going to take place after the 2008 special and the 2 new movies. It makes sense to me that they would include the new transformation forms in DBS to cash in on them. It would be cool to see them tie-in Online/Xenoverse stuff as well, but I'm not 100% sure they would do that.

Also, I predict that DBS is going to retcon GT. I just can't see them tying in that series into DBS unless it's as a gag.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Yeah, not that I would mind them moving in that direction, but I don't think we'll be getting Online/Xenoverse content at all. I won't rule out an appearance by Trunks (and maybe the Time Kaioshin along with that) if Toriyama/Toei want to cash in on his popularity. There is certainly more leeway with things like that in a series than films/specials. I REALLY doubt we will see Towa, Mira or Demigra though.

I do feel it will either be set after Resurrection F or the 28th Budokai though. I can't see why they wouldn't want to continue to capitalize on the new stories and forms they've just created. So I don't think it's going to be set immediately after Buu's defeat or overwrite the last few films the way a few people seem to suggest.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Its funny. I really liked Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, and I ADORED Jaco. Yet, Toriyama's involvement still makes me a bit nervous, and it all has to do with DB Minus. I really hope he just moves forward and continues to create new things, rather than mess with things he didn't create.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Chioka Kimitoshi as the series director is most definitely the best sign we've had. Even if the story is nothing special the storytelling should at least be better than the first three series.

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Wed May 13, 2015 10:01 am

Does selling toys really matter for DBGT still being part of the official timeline?
Broly isn't canon and he's still being shoehorned into everything.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 13, 2015 10:07 am

Michie wrote:Does selling toys really matter for DBGT still being part of the official timeline?
I think the difference there is that it's always been absolutely clear what role the prior movies (and therefore their characters) served: they were just "extras". They existed side-by-side just as-is.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Michie wrote:Does selling toys really matter for DBGT still being part of the official timeline?
I think the difference there is that it's always been absolutely clear what role the prior movies (and therefore their characters) served: they were just "extras". They existed side-by-side just as-is.
I was wondering, what are you gonna do about the DBGT review of Awesomeness? And will you do a Dragon Ball Super Review of Awesomeness?

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Mon May 25, 2015 8:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
I've always felt that GT existed in much the same capacity, but I'm unsure how widespread that sentiment is in Japan.

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Fri May 29, 2015 1:26 pm

I' m no expert but didn't Akira Toriyma said that he considers DBGT a side story?
It seems they always use the more popular GT characters in video games but seldom story elements. To be honest, i forgot a lot of GT characters until i heard about them in the DBGT review of awesomeness.

Hujio made a great comment btw, Now I'm curious how much Akira Toriyama knows about GT.