Episode #0381 (14 June 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0381 (14 June 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:53 am

Episode #0381 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
49:49; 96 kbps, mono; 34.4 MB

Episode #0381! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss "Dragon Ball Super" as we quickly approach its debut in July. After taking a look at the short preview trailer and official website updates, what is on the horizon for fans of the Dragon World, and is Toei truly taking advantage of the property they have?

Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Episode #0381 (14 June 2015)

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 am

Will listen when I get home (I really do want to listen), but I definitely think they should be taking international audiences into account. They were so awesome about it with the Jump 08 special; we had official subs in multiple languages! English, Spanish, French, and German if I recall correctly.

Even BOG had English on its site. Super's so exclusively in Japanese.
A Spanish and English version of the Super website (with subs on the trailers) would be appreciated. I wish I knew why they seem to be pulling back from multi-language. Makes me sad.

I also don't think they realize exactly what they have here. The sheer lack of marketing is the exact opposite of what Funi would do. Funi would have a huge ad campaign going by now if they could. Either Toei doesn't think it's that big a deal, or they think word of mouth will spread it well enough.

GreatSaiyaman3Gou

Post by GreatSaiyaman3Gou » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:54 am

Hey, good episode, but I'm wondering about something. People act as if they do not know how big the Dragon Ball fanbase is in other countries, but having no business sense of any kind nor knowledge of any of their thoughts, etc., don't they have an idea? You guys are saying that nothing has been released talking about DBS so far, but should there be?

All these other "newbie" shows that have all of these character design releases, story leaks, etc., don't they do it to get people interested in their new content? On the other hand, does the Dragon Ball franchise really need to do it? I mean, if they have anybody on the Internet looking at what the fans are saying, the moment they said "new Dragon Ball anime!" the Internet fans exploded.

Kind of like a "drop the mic" moment, do they really need to do any of this stuff? I personally don't care if they do or don't, but I am excited to see new stuff if they do. I just feel like it's all the same stuff anyway and we'll be happy (or the Internet will just stay the same and people will crap on whatever comes out) and we'll go about our business.

I think this goes along with the American comic book-movie franchise where everyone is so desperate to see any glimpse of an upcoming movie, and people go out of their ways to spoil the entire thing when a new piece of info comes out, and nobody just waits to see what happens. I hate the Internet for this kind of thing, let's all just calm down and see the new character designs and etc., when the show premiers and not worry about what they release because they will release it, they'd be stupid not to.

Finally, I am very opinionated and have not been a member of a forum for a while, so my remarks may seem harsh but the truth is, I just don't know how to put what I feel eloquently sometimes, so I apologize if anyone disagrees or finds something I said offensive. Let me know, preferably by PM and I will learn to better express myselfe more clearly.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:54 pm

The preview for Dragon Ball Super was probably fifteen seconds long because those were the only fifteen seconds they finished. These cuts were probably given priority to be finished because they weren't too revealing.

Mike was mentioning the scheduling and I was instantly reminded of just good Pocket Monster has it. Genga (key animation) is being drawn for episodes five months before they air. Five! That is insane compared to any other series out there, barring Space Dandy. Most series have their episodes animated in one-to-three months before they air and are allotted only one month for the key animation and in-between animation part of the process. Long running series are the lowest rung of the totem pole, so it isn't surprising to see so few have good schedules and a high enough quantity of staff to get episodes finished, but it is pretty depressing to see the flagship franchise of Toei Animation given the same rushed treatment of any of their other titles.

The 'animation character designer' role that Yamamuro fills makes things easier for there to be an 'authority' on the character models that is on hand for the production and can correct key animation and help teach animators himself.

Dragon Ball Super is going to make the Animation Styles Guide so obsolete, especially if the animation supervisors aren't consistent. :lol:

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:02 am

I am 100% convinced that Toei is going to pull a Sailor Moon Crystal on this and just rush the show on the air only to then go back later and fix it for the DVD / Blu-ray release.

Expect a ton of animation mistakes and fugly drawings, folks.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 am

Dogasu wrote:I am 100% convinced that Toei is going to pull a Sailor Moon Crystal on this and just rush the show on the air only to then go back later and fix it for the DVD / Blu-ray release.

Expect a ton of animation mistakes and fugly drawings, folks.
The problem with that is there won't be enough animation supervisors used for the Blu-ray corrections to even look good. :lol:

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:25 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The preview for Dragon Ball Super was probably fifteen seconds long because those were the only fifteen seconds they finished. These cuts were probably given priority to be finished because they weren't too revealing.
I dont think so, they probably just gave us 15 seconds since in anime the previews must cover an average of 30 seconds of the show and kai's own preview was shrunk to 15 seconds because of super's.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:50 pm

You guys mentioned an image making fun of the sparse details we have on super compared to lesser anime. Could anyone share this image with me?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:05 pm

TKA wrote:You guys mentioned an image making fun of the sparse details we have on super compared to lesser anime. Could anyone share this image with me?
They are referring to this image that @Yuyucow tweeted. The running joke amongst #Sakuga on IRC is that Dragon Ball Super doesn't exist because of how busy Toei Animation is and how nothing has come out about it until just now.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:09 am

JulieYBM wrote:
They are referring to this image that @Yuyucow tweeted. The running joke amongst #Sakuga on IRC is that Dragon Ball Super doesn't exist because of how busy Toei Animation is and how nothing has come out about it until just now.
Thanks, chum.