Episode #0383 (28 June 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0383 (28 June 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Episode #0383 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
57:18; 96 kbps, mono; 39.5 MB

Episode #0383! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss "Dragon Ball Super" as we sit less than a week out from its debut. Where in the timeline will it take place, and how will this new story affect the other recent productions? Will "Battle of Gods" still "happen" in the overall story? Tons of news and thoughts from you wrap up the show!

Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Re: Episode #0383 (28 June 2015)

Post by kizuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:21 pm

I'm actually looking forward to my commute tomorrow. Thanks for cranking these out lately, guys!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 pm

You know, I really didn't think about it until you guys mentioned it. But I can see them maybe changing the events of Battle of Gods to fit Super. Years ago they did this (in reverse) with the first three DB movies. They were re-tellings of the events going on in the series. A series that was new and on-going at the time. I mean, sure that was decades ago, but it's possible. I wouldn't like it, but it's totally possible.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 pm

I've been actually wondering about the end of "Z" when Goku hasn't seen Bulma and company for at least 5 years. Considering the movies and Super, does the ending change as well? Seems like they're going to be seeing each other a lot with this series.

I'm just staring at my final volume of the manga wondering what the hell it all means!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm

kizuki wrote:I've been actually wondering about the end of "Z" when Goku hasn't seen Bulma and company for at least 5 years. Considering the movies and Super, does the ending change as well? Seems like they're going to be seeing each other a lot with this series.

I'm just staring at my final volume of the manga wondering what the hell it all means!
There's no need for it to right now. That last gap is 10 years long and, for now, the JSAT, BOG, F and Super can all fall before that ~5 year mark.

Buu - 774
Super - 774
JSAT - 776
BOG - 778
F - 779
Uub - 784

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:43 am

I am so excited for Saturday. The idea of having new DB each week so incredible, I don't even mind if we really do spend the first arc redoing BOG (I was heartbroken when F dumped ssjg mode anyway, so potentially bringing ssjg Gokû back out of early retirement would be something wonderful for me) because new weekly episodes of Dragon Ball. :mrgreen:

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:02 am

You guys mentioned Tekira!! YAY! :D

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:53 am

Can I nominate Rocketman to be on the DBS Ep 1 review panel for next podcast? :twisted:

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Seems like "excited" or "exciting" were the words of the episode. I wonder how many times you guys said some form of the word...someone should count :lol: I think it was more than the amount of times that Dragon Ball Super promotions have used the word "super".

Not that the excitement isn't justified, though. It's truly amazing to be having a new series in 2015, and I can't wait to see how it plays out! I hope the first episode shows more than just what we saw in the preview manga. Sure, we can always discuss the music and visuals and whatnot, but I want more plot info to talk about! I'm supposed to be having a 4th of July party, but I'm definitely gonna block out 5:00PM~5:30PM as "do not disturb" time, because this is too big to miss!

GreatSaiyaman3Gou

Post by GreatSaiyaman3Gou » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:43 pm

MIKE! Thank you so much, yo! I never thought about being able to order back issues of magazines, just never gave it any thought. So since we will probably not be seeing any tankobon coming out of Dragon Ball Heroes Victory Mission, I have decided to go hunt them down on amazon Japan!

Also, thank you or whoever made the manga guides and listed each issue of V-Jump that featured said manga, you guys rock so much.

GreatSaiyaman3Gou

Post by GreatSaiyaman3Gou » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm

kizuki wrote:I've been actually wondering about the end of "Z" when Goku hasn't seen Bulma and company for at least 5 years. Considering the movies and Super, does the ending change as well? Seems like they're going to be seeing each other a lot with this series.

I have thought this as well, but just because we see people in the movies, I don't think it means they will definitely be in the series. For all we know, Goku and Vegeta could go parallel universe hopping and come back at the final chapter of the manga.

But something nobody has mentioned (that I know of) is the validity of continuity within these two movies in relation to the series at large.

Every Dragon Ball movie has been a "side story", not necessarily listed as canon, if I am wrong please correct me. So my question is, are these movies (BoG and R-F) like every other movie? Or are they canon and will the series recognize this?

What I'm getting at is that the series could go a whole other route that Toriyama thought about going down? A lot of other anime series do this with their movies as well, reintroducing things from the series in a new way or just going AU altogether. What do you guys think?

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:29 am

Congratulations Hujio!

There's something if have been thinking about. Maybe the plan was to have DBS starting in the winter period of the anime schedule and have Digimon take DB Kai's time slot.
It could have been there where production problems which lead them to delay Digimon. With both Dragon Ball movies doing really well Toei could have therefore chosen to release the series earlier. It would explain the reason the earlier part of Super looks likes it recycles lot's of stuff from earlier productions.