Episode #0389 (11 October 2015)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0389 (11 October 2015)

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:16 am

Episode #0389 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
60:53; 96 kbps, mono; 41.8 MB

Episode #0389! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss the "Dragon Ball Super" manga by Toyotarō published in V-Jump each month. How does the series differ from the TV version in terms of pacing and content? What's the deal with Champa, and why has he still not been included in the TV series despite being fully integrated into the manga? Video game news and "Dragon Ball Super" updates round out our show!

Referenced sites:
A wild podcast episode appears! I'll drop a link to the interview I mentioned at the end of the show once it goes live on Friday, 10/16.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Re: Episode #0389 (11 October 2015)

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Huh, I expected this to be a review of Super's take on the Battle of Gods arc. That was equally as engaging, however. Here's my thoughts:

I also find Toyotarō's manga infinitely more interesting. At this point, I do wish it was the original product, and something that was a weekly release. I say that primarily because I think, as you guys said, it's a product that caters far more to the invested Dragon Ball fans. But also, on a personal level, it's because I find myself enjoying (and having time for) manga far more than anime, currently. I don't have to worry much about pacing, music, or animation troubles. I can just focus on the art and text -- something that Toyotarō does pretty well these days. In my head, it reads like Dragon Ball always has, and that's not something Super will ever achieve.

I'd love to see a tankōbon release. Ideally, they'd have Toyotarō fill in any gaps for it, just to smooth out the narrative for a collected edition. Seeing the end of Resurrection 'F' would be great, but after the announcement that we'll be jumping straight to Universe 6, I guess that's not a realistic hope to have. Shame, really.

I presume we will get an official podcast episode dedicated to the anime? I'd absolutely love a video on the show's animation. Having something like that to link when those discussions get out of hand would be great. I imagine these are all things on the never-ending list of stuff to do when time allows, anyway.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm

The plan for the podcast is still to have a comprehensive look at the Super TV series' take on the Battle of Gods arc, yeah, separate from this. The underlying story is still the same, so for the manga discussion we really wanted to focus on what was unique(ly different) and then just the inherent qualities of it like art style and pacing.

A video on the animation would be interesting and helpful, but Toei'd knock that the eff outta the park on us before we could hit "publish".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:A video on the animation would be interesting and helpful, but Toei'd knock that the eff outta the park on us before we could hit "publish".
Eurgh, yeah. I forgot about the legality issues with using footage. RIP the dream.

Maybe I'll give it a go myself... one day. I planned to do it shortly after Episode 5, but procrastination was much more appealing.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Great episode! You guys might want to talk about Toei editing their anime for the bluray releases sometime. Their bluerays seem to be the definitive version of their shows:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:17 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:Great episode! You guys might want to talk about Toei editing their anime for the bluray releases sometime. Their bluerays seem to be the definitive version of their shows:
Is it though? The shows Toei alters aren't really televised series; those examples are originally web streamed shows. You don't traditionally see Toei altering things like One Piece.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:26 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
SaiyaSith wrote:Great episode! You guys might want to talk about Toei editing their anime for the bluray releases sometime. Their bluerays seem to be the definitive version of their shows:
Is it though? The shows Toei alters aren't really televised series; those examples are originally web streamed shows. You don't traditionally see Toei altering things like One Piece.
After the backlash about episode 5, I couldn't imagine them not fixing the rushed animation. A lot of shots look like placeholders that they had no time to fix.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:57 am

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it but, I had no idea the manga and the anime were so different. I had little interest in the manga because well, I was only "casually" watching the anime. If I would catch it, I'd watch it. If not, I never went back to catch up. I'm glad you guys covered this!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:06 am

First podcast i've listened to, interesting stuff.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:10 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:First podcast i've listened to, interesting stuff.
You gotta marathon all of em bro... even though Mike may not be too fond of the old ones in comparison to the new, they're still fun.