Episode #0397 (28 February 2016)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0397 (28 February 2016)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Episode #0397 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
44:38; 96 kbps, mono; 30.8 MB

Episode #0397! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss the mess of production issues "Dragon Ball Super" appears to face on a week-to-week basis. With a new series composer and new series director, are things back on track? Is it impossible to save the series, or does it not even need saving in the first place? Join us for a review of the major news stories, chatter on social media from animators involved in the series itself, and your own thoughts on how production could be corrected.

REFERENCED SITES:
Crazy. Super crazy.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Episode #0397 (28 February 2016)

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Hey now, Wakamoto Norio voiced Gouki and background characters in Yuu Yuu Hakusho despite his main role being Chuu! :P

I'm in the camp that thinks--perhaps simply hopes--that Chioka is getting read to direct a new movie to be announced in June or July. Let us look at One Piece.

Uda Kou'nosuke (#1–278): oversaw the series while also directing the fourth and seventh movies.
Shimizu Junji (#131–159): Directed the first three movies but came to the TV series when Uda decided to direct the fourth movie. Left shortly after.
Sakai Munehisa (#244–372): Eventually left to direct Strong World.
Miyamoto Hiro'aki (#352–679): Left to direct Film Gold.
Fukazawa Toshinori (#663–): took over near the end of Miyamoto's run.

I think this definitely points towards a new film, especially if Dragon Ball Super is getting another great director as its series director.

One Punch Man had a great production schedule and numerous talented freelance animators to handle the battle scenes. There was enough time that Series Director Natsume Shingo could storyboard four of its twelve episodes, two of which he personally directed.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:36 pm

That was an enjoyable episode; I find the behind-the-scenes-at-Super stuff so interesting. I wish things weren't so messy there right now.
The changes-mid-production with Kuririn's hair is something else. Now he's bald in the manga and has hair in the anime. Same thing with Champa's stadium. The manga's still got those bleachers they started with while the anime has those floating grassy areas. I don't even think the extras from Uni 6 that sat in the bleachers in the manga are even present in the anime (unless I missed them somewhere).

I'd be ok with the anime getting further ahead than the manga; both because it'd give more surprises in the anime and it would allow the fights in the manga to not be so rushed in battle-length.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:15 am

The production of Dragon Ball Super has been so incredibly interesting in just how much of a trainwreck it's become. I swear, this is the kind of thing that you could make a book out of. I would buy it.

It's why I'm finding it hard to just hate on the animation like a lot of other people seem to do. It's very clear when you see all this, that the animators don't WANT their show to look bad. And with all the recent changes, it seems like Toei doesn't want their series to be bad, either.

I guess the moral of the story is 'don't jump into a series without proper planning first'. Then you get Super. Or rather, what Super ended up becoming.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 am

Supers production is really one sad mess. I will try to be positive from now on and talk only about the good things, because you can find the negativity everywhere.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 am

There was a plan from Bandai for Dragon Ball show in 2009 or were you talking about Dragon Ball Kai?
I was listening at work and that was kinda hectic.
Yeah, well, I am sad kind of about the Super and hope for some movies to happen.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 am

MCDaveG wrote:There was a plan from Bandai for Dragon Ball show in 2009 or were you talking about Dragon Ball Kai?
Yeah, well, I am sad kind of about the Super and hope for some movies to happen.
Yeah, i heard they were trying to get Toriyama to make new series but he refused and we got Kai. We can thank Evolution for everything else.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:00 am

MCDaveG wrote:There was a plan from Bandai for Dragon Ball show in 2009 or were you talking about Dragon Ball Kai?
Yeppers. They were turned down, and it's why we had Kai instead. See this thread for more information.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:21 am

I must say, my attitude towards the animation was one of ignorance because I didn't fully understand what the production process entailed. I assumed that its now 2016 and the animation should be highly superior than it was 20 plus years ago. While the animation does warrant rightful constructive criticism, your podcast today made me examine a new perspective, and that is how difficult it is given the time they have from episode to episode to produce quality work. While they shouldn't get a complete pass due to a few major hiccups such as the infamous episode 5, thanks to this podcast I now have a better understanding as to what the staff go through each day.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Top 3 podcast of this year