Episode #0398 (13 March 2016)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0398 (13 March 2016)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Episode #0398 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
71:36; 96 kbps, mono; 49.3 MB

Episode #0398! VegettoEX and Randy look back at "Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu", perhaps best known as "The Legend" or even simply just "Legends" on the PlayStation and Saturn. Twenty years later, the game appears to have still left a massive impression on fans and gamers. Does the never-ending hype behind this game hold up two decades later? Tune in for amazing revelations from the game's development and a special guest appearance!

REFERENCED SITES:
HOW HAS THIS GAME BEEN OUT FOR TWENTY YEARS.

Oh, I also updated the respective page in the "Rumor Guide" but I didn't want to include it in the links for fear of spoiling something... but I just mentioned it here, so eh.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Episode #0398 (13 March 2016)

Post by Blade » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:26 am

I really, really enjoyed listening to this on my drive to work this morning.

Being a fan in the UK, when I came into the franchise around 1999, getting hold of imported, Japanese copies of the three Playstation games was like an open-door into a world that the television broadcast wasn't going to get anywhere near for years to come.

I remember how excited I was for Final Bout, being, at the time, an incredibly pretty-looking game, but I recall that even as a 10-year-old, the frantic and unique battle mechanics of Legends captivated me completely. To this day, even with an awareness of the effect of nostalgia upon me, it's probably my favourite Dragonball game.

But yeah, all in all, a great throw-back episode. Right now, I feel like I'm probably going to boot up an emulator when I get home later. :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:35 am

That was really interesting and cool to listen. I always enjoy to listen about the 90's era in USA and comparing it to Europe and particularly Czech Republic, with all those mythical Chinatown's with bootlegs etc.
What was a really interesting tidbit about the Legends feature in gaming magazine, even tough the game wasn't released, because the same thing happened here.
There was this magazine Level in CZ, which was mainly about PC video games, but sometime, the consoles got the spotlight, as the consoles community wasn't that big in the 90's here
and there was 1 page article on DBZ Legends with screenshots, but the game was misslabeled as Dragon Ball Z Dragon Quest for whatever reason.
There was this screenshot of Vegetto flying backwards from the enemy and it looked awesome as the picture was small.
Also, we haven't seen any game before to have 2D Characters and actually using 3D plane this way, where the character changes angle (if you don't count the SNES' Super FX engine, which wasn't that good).
My friend who was watching DBZ as well showed it to me and my first reaction was: ''Wow, this looks like the actual show!''
But we didn't found the game for a long time thanks to the misslabeling and after we found it, both of us not having play station but game boy only, it took around few years into 2000's, when I stumbled upon the game by mistake
on some forum and finally had PC strong enough to emulate PSX. That was it! The game was marvelous and I regret to not having the opportunity to live trough this era as an adult and actually get those games on television.
As you said, every game was awesome. By retrospective, the only any good game I revisit to this day sometime from nostalgia is Super Butouden 2.

Thanks for the podcast!

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:24 am

Huh, an episode about a game I actually own? That's new.

EDIT: Okay, after reading this, some stuff worth mentioning:

The European version removed the Joji Yanami narration and additionally had an atrociously incompetent translation to French. For instance, "Z戦士" (Z Warriors) was translated as "Supersaiens" (a misspelling of "Super Saïyens", or "Super Saiyans") and "Saiya-jin" was translated as "Mercenaires de l'espace" (Space mercenaries, presumably based on the series' French dub using "Guerriers de l'espace" or "Space warriors")... so the chapter with the Nappa/Vegeta fight was essentially translated as "Space Mercenaries vs the Super Saiyans". And it doesn't get any better from there... hell, even the loading screen has a typo: “Chergement…” instead of “Chargement…”!

Truly a translation of legend.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Not a big video games fan, but this was interesting.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Puto wrote:The European version removed the Joji Yanami narration and additionally had an atrociously incompetent translation to French. For instance, "Z戦士" (Z Warriors) was translated as "Supersaiens" (a misspelling of "Super Saïyens", or "Super Saiyans") and "Saiya-jin" was translated as "Mercenaires de l'espace" (Space mercenaries, presumably based on the series' French dub using "Guerriers de l'espace" or "Space warriors")... so the chapter with the Nappa/Vegeta fight was essentially translated as "Space Mercenaries vs the Super Saiyans". And it doesn't get any better from there... hell, even the loading screen has a typo: “Chergement…” instead of “Chargement…”!

Truly a translation of legend.
This sounds spectacular. Thanks for sharing!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:56 pm

LOVED this trip down memory lane. This was one of the first Saturn games I imported and like you guys, I knew VERY LITTLE about the whole DBZ story before playing. This was my introduction to most of the characters and their iconic attacks.

I think what made this game so special (and you guys touched on this) was the animation. It was stylized in a way that modern games are incredibly afraid to do but the result was a kinetic and frantic sense of battle that is unique to this title. The way the camera can't quite keep up with you as you're ping ponging your prey around was incredibly effective and satisfying. Obviously this is only something that works in a single player game and I think in their quest to craft a competitive/balanced fighter, devs are missing out on delivering the definitive DB video game experience.

great podcast guys, cheers.

oh and for what it's worth, I think Battle of Z is the closest anyone has come to emulating what Legends did so well. I understand that game is not well liked but there are a number of fun similarities.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:28 pm

I first heard about this game reading a review about it in a french video game magazine and I was sooooooooooo excited! And I stayed just excited after playing it. I've had so much fun with this game. And it's probably my all-time favorite DBZ game. I own it on Ps1, and Sega Saturn. Japanese version on ps1 (was never released in Europe on ps1), and in french on Saturn.

Edit: I don't agree this isn't a 1 vs. 2 player game. I had a lot of fun playing vs. against my brother, and a friend.

ShadowDude112
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by ShadowDude112 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Battle of Z had 4 on 4, so that was super close to Legends. The difference is that it didn't have a tug of war meter. The energy meter in BoZ worked differently.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:58 am

ShadowDude112 wrote:Battle of Z had 4 on 4, so that was super close to Legends. The difference is that it didn't have a tug of war meter. The energy meter in BoZ worked differently.
Huh, did you actually play both recently? Because i can't say i agree with you...

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:48 am

First off, being on the show was a blast and I'm really thankful for being asked on. Next time I promise to be less nervous.

One thing I wanted to bring up about playing this long before seeing past the Ginyu stuff was how confusing and cool some stuff was.

Once we got into Super Saiyan territory I legitimately thought all these characters were new. Maybe it was the next generation? A different cast? An alternate reality? But I was into it all the same. And because of everyone being Super Saiyans and me thinking the old cast was gone, I was so excited for the final story battle where base Goku and Vegeta show up to fuse. I was so hype to see them come back.

If only I was super bad at it back in the day I would have known that, if Super Saiyan 3 Goku took two attacks from the enemy he'd power down to base I might have been able to figure out these were transformations. Apparently Trunks transforming in stage 4 didn't make anything click for me as an 11 year old.

Being 11 with friends that were into Dragon Ball meant lots of playing outside and "Playing DBZ" as it were. All of us playing Legends together also gave us a plethora of new attacks to call out while fighting. We also picked up on fusion and other things - it was all such a magical time of discovery.

Man, Legends is so damn important to me and it's cool to see how important it is to a lot of other people.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:14 pm

I never played the game but this was enjoyable.

Rob
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:54 am

This was definitely an enjoyable listen that got me nostalgic. I got the Playstation version of the game sometime circa 1999, and I remember installing a mod chip into my system just so I could play this game. It wasn't too long after I got the game that I found the weekly anime block on the old International Channel, which had raw broadcasts of DBZ, and other series that were subtitled (the block introduced me to one of my favorite series, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor). Anyway, I had some fun times playing through that game.

It seems that somewhere along the way of the four times I've moved in the last decade, I've lost my copy of Legends. I also no longer have my modded Playstation, as it burned out several years ago. Of course, now I want to play it again....

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:52 am

One of the best podcasts! I love the amount of detail you went to and I was very surprised to hear about a text file being located on the game disk. Reminds me of the CD-Rom days of gaming.
It's interesting that it skips Raditz as they could have done Goku & Piccolo vs Raditz but starting with Nappa isn't too unusual really (Legendary Super Warriors does the same thing).
I didn't bother following the story, as I just preferred 3v3 battles anyway. I also loved the commentary the characters gave mid-fight, although it's hard for us English fans to know exactly what's being said.
The SP missions were quite cool as well, some of them were interesting like Nappa & Vegeta vs Freeza etc. Tag Team VS definitely feels similar, although Battle of Z and Xenoverse are even more like Legends in some ways.