Episode #0402 (24 April 2016)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0402 (24 April 2016)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Episode #0402 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
44:50; 96 kbps, mono; 31.0 MB

Episode #0402! Mike and Jake discuss "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" versus "Super Saiyan Blue" and what the correct name for the form might be. Where and how was it first used, and how is that different from the latest usage in the source material? A bit of general website content overview followed by questions-and-answers round out the show!

SEGMENTS:
03:10 - Topic (the names Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan vs. Super Saiyan Blue)
32:07 - Listener Questions (where to buy Dragon Box sets, collecting merchandise, and more!)

REFERENCED SITES:
Not a versus discussion. Hold your pitchforks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ther2view

Re: Episode #0402 (24 April 2016)

Post by ther2view » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Yeah, this has been a point of contention with me and my little brother. I say that if Super Saiyan Blue is where they are going with the naming, that I may as well start using it now. My brother, however, feels that Super Saiyan Blue is an incredibly stupid name and that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a much cooler name. So anytime I say Super Saiyan Blue, my brother gets mad at me. Don't really have a reason to share this story, but it just reminded me of that.

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 am

I can live with the explanation of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan being the full name and Super Saiyan God Blue being the colloquial term for the form. I can also see it as, having an in universe explanation of Goku and vegeta not really sure what they should call it as they are discovering these as they go and kind of just playing with names until one sticks as they can essentially choose the official name to be whatever they want (perhaps a copout for the writers, but whatev).

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:07 am

I'm much more pro-Super Saiyan Blue over the convoluted mess that is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Goku seems to like being the one to give names to all the forms, so it's odd that he just gives an explanation (poorly) of what the new form is without attributing a name to it.

While SSGSS was definitely the name for the form thanks to merchandise and gaming, I'd prefer something that's in-universe. Super Saiyan Blue is the exclusive name for the form in the current head of the franchise and used much more often than the earlier name in the manga, so Blue just seems right.

I would also like to have a flashback scene in the anime of Goku and Vegeta taking a break in the ROSAT, sitting across from each other and pitching names for the form and debating it back and forth. Thinking Vegeta has no such time for the nonsense so "Super Saiyan Blue is simple and short, just stick with that."

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 am

Personally, I think "Super Saiyan Blue" is kind of a silly name and I never really took to it.

Then again, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" is also a mouthful...

Hmm...

This could all have been avoided if the original "Red" form had been simply named "Saiyan God". Then, the "Blue One could have been just "Super Saiyan God". Makes much more sense in my opinion. But alas, it seems it isn't meant to be...

Personally, I like the idea that SSGSS is the "formal" name and "SSB" just the nickname.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:52 pm

I enjoyed the episode and don't really have anything to add to the way that you've broken the issue down.

'Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan' has always occurred to me as being a description rather than a title - which made the re-naming seem inevitable from a branding/merchandise point of view. That said, the fact that products were already went on the market with the 'SSGSS' label by that point means that we're seeing some inheritance in upcoming products - such as the Bandai S.H. Figuarts Vegeta (having released Goku in the form last year), which are still using it for consistency.

But yeah, I totally think that someone has missed a beat in not considering 'Super Cyan' - but hey, English word-play probably didn't come into the thinking - but even the fact that they went with the English word for 'Blue' seems a little odd.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:58 pm

I initially went with blueper saiyan (and still do mostly) because I was upset they replaced ssjg so fast (though I guess if you were following the original DB manga during circulation the number of years that passed between ssj1, 2, and 3 weren't all that much either) since I like the look of ssjg Gokû so much, but if I had to pick between the two official names I'd just go with super saiyan blue. There isn't anything particularly mystical-godly about ssjblue other than its sparkly aura. It doesn't even have the self-healing power that ssjg had in the Super anime; so yeah, super saiyan blue is what I pick.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:39 am

Blade wrote:But yeah, I totally think that someone has missed a beat in not considering 'Super Cyan' - but hey, English word-play probably didn't come into the thinking - but even the fact that they went with the English word for 'Blue' seems a little odd.
I don't see that as odd, it's rather consistent with how levels 2, 3, 4 & God use the English words instead of the japanese.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Blade wrote:But yeah, I totally think that someone has missed a beat in not considering 'Super Cyan' - but hey, English word-play probably didn't come into the thinking - but even the fact that they went with the English word for 'Blue' seems a little odd.
I don't see that as odd, it's rather consistent with how levels 2, 3, 4 & God use the English words instead of the japanese.
I dunno, I think Arabic numbers and the English pronunciations are less out-of-place in the Japanese cultural lexicon than the English word for 'Blue'; I honestly would have expected '青' (Aoi) unless there was deliberate piece of word-play in there.

I do see your point, though. They (Toriyama? Yusuke Watanabe? Chicken/Egg) did use the English word for 'God' for the prior form.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:02 pm

The English words for colors (as well as the English words for pretty much anything) are extremely common in Japanese.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Does anyone have a scan of the page where Gohan is described as grade 5? The one with the "fake screenshot"?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:38 am

It's less a "fake screenshot" and more just an all-new illustration for the book. We have it on this old article-

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/01/26/wh ... was-named/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun May 01, 2016 4:50 am

Interesting podcast, can't think of many cases in which the fandom is unsure what term to use. In my opinion, Super Saiyan Blue is a more straightforward name and not as convoluted as SSGSS. A name is a name and in some ways it doesn't matter what it's called. But I'm betting on Blue ;)