Episode #0410 (14 August 2016)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0410 (14 August 2016)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 am

Episode #0410 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
36:32; 96 kbps, mono; 25.3 MB

Episode #0410! Mike and Julian provide a brief history of Dragon Ball manga re-releases in Japan before turning their attention to the on-going "Soshuhen" (or "Digest Edition"). What makes this larger-sized, condensed release any different from the previous versions, and what type of fan do they suit best? Tune in for all this and a quick recap of the week's Dragon Ball news!

SEGMENTS:
00:13 - Introduction (what's on deck, etc.)
02:01 - News ("Dragon Ball Fusions" 1st week Japanese sales, "Dragon Ball Super" chapter five Viz English translation)
03:51 - Topic (Manga Re-Release History and "Digest Edition" Review)
33:57 - Episode wrap-up and website project teases

REFERENCED SITES:
Manga manga manga~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Re: Episode #0410 (14 August 2016)

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Damn a new episode so fast. Great!!!

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:27 pm

The biggest issue that convinces me I wouldn't want it is the pages turning brown. Even if I can't read it, I still wouldn't want that to happen to it. And I had never realized there were so many different releases of the manga.

What was that track at the very end? I heard slap bass in it, so I must know.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:The biggest issue that convinces me I wouldn't want it is the pages turning brown.
That was in reference to the original tankobon release.
Anime Kitten wrote:What was that track at the very end? I heard slap bass in it, so I must know.
It's the general battle theme from Dragon Ball Fusions on the 3DS.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Why didn't they just change the original use of "Soba" in the first arc to "Shu"? Or, let the inconsistencies stand as-is, since the point was seemingly "as it was in Jump"?

Fun listen. I need to find this obvious redrawn Tao Pai Pai color page...

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:40 pm

I enjoyed listening to this episode and appreciate the breakdown of the differences between the publications.

Julian mentioned that there were notes from Toriyama on the sides of the pages that referred to the sources of inspiration for different characters and environments. He said some of these notes were new to even him, and may not have been in the guidebooks. I'm curious to know what those notes might say, as that's one of the parts of Dragon Ball that interests me the most. So will some of these notes be added to the site on their respective manga chapter pages?

Likewise for the "hype text" that provides insights into Toriyama's mindset, the editing process, or has notable cultural value.

Doing all of them would be a difficult task, so if he intends to translate any of them, could he start by adding the few that caught his interest?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 pm

I would also like to see at least bits and pieces of these notes here, I think those sound extremely interesting.

This was definitely a good listen, and I'm glad I tuned in! I hope this episode encourages more people to at least look into these Digest Editions. They certainly aren't perfect, but I personally really like them. It's a shame about how they were advertised though. It's close, but not quite what some people might have been expecting. Still, I personally prefer these over the Kanzenban and I'm glad that I know more about them now! Good work guys.

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Do you anticipate these to become the new 'standard' of reference for collected volume of the manga or would this still fall to the kanzenban? Of course we would all love to refer to the original jump chapter, but for obvious reasons it isn't quite reasonable.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:20 pm

The chapters are still the chapters, just like in the kanzenban. Them being condensed down into fewer overall volumes doesn't really change that point of reference.

As for these potentially becoming the new standard, that's highly unlikely for all the reasons already covered during the episode (most importantly being that these do not remain in print for long).

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:18 pm

I didn't know these releases were based on the kanzenban chapters. It gives me more of an incentive to sell them and just stick with these (I hate having multiple versions, especially since my Japanese is still not good enough to fully understand them). I really like the larger size, but the paper quality could be better. I guess it's asking too much considering the price.

If these were to ever get reprinted as a second edition, do you think they would go back and fix some of those mistakes pointed out in the episode, like rescanning the title pages that were redrawn? It is just one page of a 500+ chapter manga, so I doubt they'd go through all the trouble, but it would still be pretty cool.