Episode #0416 (04 December 2016)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0416 (04 December 2016)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Episode #0416 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
33:26; 96 kbps, mono; 23.1 MB

Episode #0416! Mike and Jake review "Dragon Ball Super" episode 69 along with all of its "Dr. Slump" (and various other parody!) references and call-backs. From the real Dr. Mashirito to Vegeta as the external voice of reason, tune in for a master class in Toriyama humor.

SEGMENTS:
00:14 - Introduction (what's on deck, etc.)
01:55 - Topic ("Dragon Ball Super" episode 69 review and analysis)
30:31 - Episode wrap-up and website project teases

REFERENCED SITES:
Keep in mind that we have a dedicated thread in the "Dragon Ball Super" sub-section for this specific episode if you're looking to discuss, more in general, your opinions on the episode itself!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0416 (04 December 2016)

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Huh, after this, I may just find myself reading a volume or two of Dr. Slump. I appreciate that even a writer that isn't Mr. Toriyama can make that many callbacks without straying off from the authenticity of the manga.

Nice work as always, guys. You sounded fine, Mr. EX, but hopefully that bug of yours clears up completely soon.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:14 pm

I likely caught your primer episode when it aired, so I was good to go. The we can come off something like Zamasu into something like this without getting a bad taste in the mouth certainly attests to Dragon Ball's tonally fluidity; the Slump clan in (post) Z-era Dragon Ball could totally come off as intrusively hyper-comic characters ala the likes of Spider-Ham (This is so unflinchingly out there that it must be funny! Right?), but no, they're same wacky cousins from lala land they've always been. What a fun episode.

I know Mike considers GameFaqs' Dragon Ball board a fine example of a less-desirable Dragon Ball discussion environment, well I dropped in and sure enough the usual suspects that expect absolute consistency, have no patience for "childishness", and otherwise have no grasp of that fact that Super is a product of a different time are going about as loco as you would expect.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:03 am

I was happy to hear Mike mention the mysterious Amazon listing. The fact that they pulled Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada out of Harmony Gold's clutches somehow gives me hope that Amazon is starting to throw some serious money around at classic anime and we'll finally have the Dr Slump TV anime officially licensed! I don't subscribe to Prime, but I would for close to 250 Dr Slump episodes :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:19 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I know Mike considers GameFaqs' Dragon Ball board a fine example of a less-desirable Dragon Ball discussion environment, well I dropped in and sure enough the usual suspects that expect absolute consistency, have no patience for "childishness", and otherwise have no grasp of that fact that Super is a product of a different time are going about as loco as you would expect.
I don't feel it's appropriate to call out specific communities as a whole like that. I'm sure there are knowledgeable, reasonable, enthusiastic fans in every pocket of every community.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:37 am

VegettoEX wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I know Mike considers GameFaqs' Dragon Ball board a fine example of a less-desirable Dragon Ball discussion environment, well I dropped in and sure enough the usual suspects that expect absolute consistency, have no patience for "childishness", and otherwise have no grasp of that fact that Super is a product of a different time are going about as loco as you would expect.
I don't feel it's appropriate to call out specific communities as a whole like that. I'm sure there are knowledgeable, reasonable, enthusiastic fans in every pocket of every community.
You're absolutely right. I had it in mind to qualify that statement and I never did it, maybe thinking that the complainers being bad apples would have been inherently apparent. But I suppose it really is not something you should mention at all.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:42 am

Herms and his trivia always makes podcasts with him worth listening to.