Episode #0426 (25 June 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0426 (25 June 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Episode #0426 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
52:28; 96 kbps, mono; 36.2 MB

Episode #0426! Mike and Jake discuss surnames in the Dragon World. In a series where most characters do not actually have family names, how can you tell for sure when someone might actually have one? What examples tend to confuse fans, and which names might be hiding a secret surname away?! A bit of news recap and a related "Journey to the West" excerpt round out the episode!

SEGMENTS:
00:13 - Introduction (what's on deck)
01:47 - News (video game sales, downloadable content packs, new theme songs, etc.)
08:52 - Topic (surnames / family names in the Dragon World)
47:26 - Episode wrap-up (bonus reading, etc.)

REFERENCED SITES:
For the billionth time: please forgive all Chinese pronunciation attempts.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Episode #0426 (25 June 2017)

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Seems the podcast was actually weekly for once! And how 'bout that GT Review of Awesomeness, eh?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 am

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 am

I've been listening to a lot of the old podcast episodes recently (mostly the manga review of awesomeness) so it actually felt weird not hearing you say "this is Daizenshuu EX the podcast" at the start. Anyway good subject, I was surprised when you pointed out that Ten might actually be Tenshinhan's given name, since I always assumed like most people that Chiaotzu and everyone else was just shortening his name affectionately, or maybe Chiaotzu just can't pronounce his full name? Although when you think about it I can't really think of any examples where they say Tenshinhan's name with leaving a pause in the middle, it usually sounds like 1 name.

I also like that Toriyama gave some characters family names in the Jaco manga because it sorta fits in with Videl saying that family names are a things of the past, but the whole thing about "West city" and Toriyama saying that "in the region they (Mr. Satan/Videl) come from there are no family names" could suggest that maybe Bulma, Videl and everyone else with English-based name puns comes from their in-universe version of America and everyone with Japanese-style names comes from their equivalent of Asia? Perhaps the part of the world where you can see anthropomorphic animal people is an indication that you're looking at the eastern part of the Dragon World but when you see cities full of just humans you're looking at their western world?

Could it be that when Gohan was riding Kinto-un to get to high school he was actually travelling all the way to the western world where people are all named after English words like Bloomers, Briefs, Trunks, Tights, Lunch, Satan, Devil, Sharpener and Eraser?

I mean obviously Toriyama never put that much thought into it otherwise he'd make a proper world map with an explanation (or at the very least bring it up in the series more than just once) but still I like my little fan theory I just came up with there.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 am

Deathbringer wrote:I've been listening to a lot of the old podcast episodes recently (mostly the manga review of awesomeness) so it actually felt weird not hearing you say "this is Daizenshuu EX the podcast" at the start.
What a coincidence! I'm also listening to the Manga Review of Awesomeness! What Volume are you at? I'm on 14 of the MROA.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:27 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:I've been listening to a lot of the old podcast episodes recently (mostly the manga review of awesomeness) so it actually felt weird not hearing you say "this is Daizenshuu EX the podcast" at the start.
What a coincidence! I'm also listening to the Manga Review of Awesomeness! What Volume are you at? I'm on 14 of the MROA.
I'm up to volume 18 and the most interesting thing in them for me has to be Jeff's predictions of what'll happen next, as well as the 3 of them trying to pinpoint exactly what changes between the "DB" and "DBZ" portions, which is quite the eternal question for this fandom. Since I've not properly read the manga it's interesting to learn the different cut-off points leaving dramatic cliffhangers all through the series. It's a shame that the email section doesn't really happen anymore, but it was funny hearing what they had to say about the upcoming "live action DBZ movie" with lots of dramatic irony.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Hey so am I! After having gone through and reverse-binged all the episodes with topics I was interested in!
Deathbringer wrote: I'm up to volume 18 and the most interesting thing in them for me has to be Jeff's predictions of what'll happen next, as well as the 3 of them trying to pinpoint exactly what changes between the "DB" and "DBZ" portions, which is quite the eternal question for this fandom. Since I've not properly read the manga it's interesting to learn the different cut-off points leaving dramatic cliffhangers all through the series.
For me the bit where it thematically becomes DBZ is when Piccolo blows up Central City with the nuke-style explosion, although one could also argue for Krillin's death as that practically snaps Goku's innocent childhood in half (him confronting Tambourine is the first time he becomes ballistically angry, in a way that would be mirrored when Frieza kills him the second time).

Fun fact: the classic DBZ "BwwwwwwwOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo" sound effect for the aftermath of a huge explosion is first heard after Chiaotzu's Super Dodon-pa/Ray in the 22nd Tournament. Meanwhile, the "BWIIIIIIOUGH!" sound used for characters going Super Saiyan is first heard when Blue snaps out of his "Paralyzing glow" when Taopaipai reveals that it has no effect on him.
Deathbringer wrote:it was funny hearing what they had to say about the upcoming "live action DBZ movie" with lots of dramatic irony.
I think an interesting topic would be, in the wake of the movie, whether it's at all possible to adapt the story of Dragon Ball into a movie (in a way that isn't one of the 90s and 2000s animated movies). When you look at the three examples we have (Curse of the Blood Rubies, Path to Power and Evolution) they all take very different approach. PtP and Blood Rubies both follow largely the same opening as the manga, but then one moves right on to the first significant arc while the other creates its own story after that with vague underpinnings of the Jingle Village bit. Evolution meanwhile also jumps to a significant story arc, its one being King Piccolo, but also puts Goku in high school because working with a twelve year old is incredibly risky for the audience (whilst also Americanizing it at the same time).

Dragon Ball as a manga is pretty much impossible to adapt in that way because the Pilaf arc doesn't translate well to film, and it takes too long to get past the Tournament arc and to the Red Ribbon, or if you're wanting to focus on Z it takes way too long to get past Red Ribbon and the Piccolo arcs. Maybe a film could be done if you do what DBZ Kai did and, after a quick summation of the previous stuff with all the info you need to know, jump straight to Raditz as the opening act and have Vegeta be the finale. But that of course leaves out all the important setup from the early Dragon Ball stories, particularly with Piccolo (which is why Kai's recap smartly focuses on that for its latter half to explain that he's a powerful villain at the point its story starts).

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am

Regarding Tao Pai Pai, I was going over the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai again, and noticed that at some point, The Crane Hermit also refers to him as just "Pai Pai"

Considering that they're brothers, it would make more sense then if Pai Pai was the given name, and Tao was the family name, wouldn't it? Also I suppose it would likely also be the Crane Hermit's family name, then.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Any word on the next podcast? :(

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:Any word on the next podcast? :(
Been sick / out of town for work, which really threw off podcast plans. AnimeExpo recap is coming up soon-ish along with an interview on another podcast that should (hopefully!) be really interesting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:07 am

VegettoEX wrote:
SaiyaSith wrote:Any word on the next podcast? :(
AnimeExpo recap is coming up soon-ish along with an interview on another podcast that should (hopefully!) be really interesting.
That's what I've been waiting for after I saw you say that on the twitter! :D I saw some expo footage on youtube where Ryō Horikawa said that he thinks Whis is grooming Goku and Vegeta to become gods, which I suspected, but I was surprised that he would outright say it.

Feel better!

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a request! Not that you are ever short on topics, but I'd love it if you eventually considered a podcast topic on the two Dragon Ball educational specials: Traffic Safety and Fire Brigade.

What brought these about? Why didn't they make more of them? Were they because of an educational grant or something that Toei received? Or done out of the goodness of their hearts?

Why do they have such a funky place in the Dragon Ball timeline? (released during the Piccolo Diamao arc but set prior to Red Ribbon)

Where can we get the AMAZING traffic safety version of "Makafushigi Adventure!" (Speaking of which, I know that Toei lost the non-credits version of the later DB theme visuals; I wonder if any of the text-overlaid scenes are pristine here... I should check...)

Why the heck is Suno in it? (I suspect Toei just had her character design handy. The specials aired at the same time she made a brief set of appearances in the Piccolo Daimao arc. Shame that they decided that Goku didn't know her yet.)

Lots of fun. I'm going to watch the Fire Brigade one tonight.