Episode #0430 (03 December 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Re: Episode #0430 (03 December 2017)

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:48 am

I hate to break it to you, Mike, but you might have to dip into a battle power conversation for a future podcast episode about the recent Toriyama interview about the origins of the the original Super Saiyan and "S-Cells."
I'm sorry.

Anyways, has Jeff really not seen any of Dragon Ball GT in the five year gap?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:
KBABZ wrote:So I've been looking around for the saxophone version of Dan Dan used in the outro here, and I just can't find it! Does anyone know what it was originally called?
It's from the Japanese version of Raging Blast 2; that game's soundtrack features tons of new Kikuchi orchestrations as well as as some vocal song instrumentals like this... all of which was replaced internationally, sadly.
Awesome, thanks so much! When I tried to search Dan Dan Saxophone I got a bunch of achingly okay fan covers. Glad to hear the original one!
ShadowBardock89 wrote:I hate to break it to you, Mike, but you might have to dip into a battle power conversation for a future podcast episode about the recent Toriyama interview about the origins of the the original Super Saiyan and "S-Cells."
Personally I don't see how S-Cells have to do with power level?

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am

KBABZ wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:I hate to break it to you, Mike, but you might have to dip into a battle power conversation for a future podcast episode about the recent Toriyama interview about the origins of the the original Super Saiyan and "S-Cells."
Personally I don't see how S-Cells have to do with power level?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... pecial-qa/
And how does one increase S-Cells to become Super Saiyan?
Having a gentle spirit is the best way to greatly increase one’s S-Cells, but most Saiyans have trouble with this, which I think is why no Super Saiyans appeared for such a long time that they became the stuff of legend. However, one can’t reach the quantity necessary for becoming a Super Saiyan simply by having a gentle spirit, so a certain amount of battle power is indeed necessary. Looked at in this light, it’s easy to see why becoming a Super Saiyan came easy for Goku.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
And how does one increase S-Cells to become Super Saiyan?
Having a gentle spirit is the best way to greatly increase one’s S-Cells, but most Saiyans have trouble with this, which I think is why no Super Saiyans appeared for such a long time that they became the stuff of legend. However, one can’t reach the quantity necessary for becoming a Super Saiyan simply by having a gentle spirit, so a certain amount of battle power is indeed necessary. Looked at in this light, it’s easy to see why becoming a Super Saiyan came easy for Goku.
I thought we had kinda figured that by this point? Isn't exactly Earth-shattering to me when it comes to power levels.

Twinbee_Mk_II
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Twinbee_Mk_II » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm

*Looks at Mike...looks at large plate with a pair of boxers sitting on it...sighs and tosses said boxers in the trash*

You got lucky this time :x

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 am

Great episode.

It was wonderful to hear from Jeff and Meri again.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:38 am

Went in blind and got pretty emotional when I heard Jeff enter and realised what was going on. Thanks for bringing it back guys, can't believe it's been five years. Reminded me of just how much I miss the old podcast content.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 am

When I heard that the GT review of awesomeness was coming back, I paused the episode, and now, I`ve watched 1-15 again, and watched 16-18 for the first time. Here are my thoughts so far:

-Man, this show does not feel like DB or DBZ at ALL. That`s probably why I hated it the first time I saw it, but honestly? I don`t mind it here. The show feels different, partly because of the new animation-style and the new score, but mostly, this feels like a show that wants to focus on stories, bring along some fun characters along for the ride, and use a "villain of the week"-formula. It feels more like a typical action-comedy saturday morning cartoon than a longer, more character-focused show like DB and DBZ did, and I`m fine with that! I`m not saying GT has a great story, but the episodes feel more driven by the story itself, than what the characters actually does. On the other hand, I actually do feel that the main characters are more interesting than the story itself, so the dynamic is interesting!

-Gotta say this; I looove the presentation of the series! The songs, the background music, the artstyle! Everything just works for me!

-I found it interesting, what you said about Goku being the most boring main character! When I watch GT, Goku doesnt feel like a main character in some ways, but more like a sidekick! A good comparison would be Oolong in DB! He`s traveling with the main characters, is useful when needed, but he`s not the focus. Most of the time, Trunks and Pan are trying to do whatever the plot needs, while Goku is along for the ride, training with himself or just being silly, and I enjoy that!

Overall, I`m actually enjoying GT right now! It`s not a great show, but as an example of how others would handle DB, and how the DB-characters would work in a different sort of story, I like it!