Episode #0430 (03 December 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0430 (03 December 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 am

Episode #0430 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
61:06; 96 kbps, mono; 42.1 MB

Episode #0430! Mike and Meri discuss how to best calculate battle powers. It is a complicated process, but we think we have the science down pat. Join us for the last discussion on this topic you'll ever need.

Episode #0430! After a five-year break, the "Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness" returns. Mike, Meri, and Jeff review episodes 16-18, along with the FUNimation English dub-only recap episode, "A Grand Problem." Can our heroes (and hosts) survive the onslaught of machine mutants?!

SEGMENTS:
00:13 - Introduction
07:28 - Topic

REFERENCED SITES: ... December Fool's?!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Episode #0430 (03 December 2017)

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Initial reaction upon seeing the topic: WHAT?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo~

Second reaction, before I checked the duration: I hope this is a 5-second joke episode where all they say is "Haha there is no best way lolz you fell for it bye."

Third reaction: Relax. It's still Meri and Mike. Y'know, "sane" people. What could go wrong? Let's hop on this ride and hope I don't die.

Reaction to "the reveal": I don't know if this is better or worse :P.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:52 pm

This could not be better timed. I recently finished listening to the entire Manga and GT Review of Awesomeness last month and have been craving more. I’m thrilled this GT’s being continued.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:36 pm

You're doing an entire topic dedicated to power levels without me? I'm hurt!

//Starts actually listening to episode//

...You did another GT Review of Awesomeness without me?! I'm even more hurt!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Holy crap! Didn't see this coming.

Hell will officially freeze over the day we get the vgconvos reunion episode :P.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 pm

I guess this explains why we didn't get an episode for Hiromi Tsuru. I got to the GT Review while I was banging out those Platinum Relics in the N. Sane Trilogy, so I'm caught up! Since I might eventually plan to do a GT-Kai edit someday (despite the warnings of other users that GT cannot be salvaged), this stuff is important for me in understanding what fans like and don't like about it since I'm not that familiar with it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 pm

So I decided to go back to Episode 306 124 episodes hence to tot up Jeff's predictions, which start about 1 hour and 9 minutes in.
  • We won't see where Dr. Mu and General Rilld are in the next four episodes, and otherwise won't yet move on to the next important series of events. Correct, we don't! Jeff also notes that it seems that other folks, namely Dr. Mu, appear to have a way to track the Dragon Balls.
  • We're moving on to episodes that can be completely thrown away. So close to yes, considering how LITTLE happens in the ones reviewed here.
  • Some outside force that isn't Dr. Mu will pick up the Dragon Balls on the GT gang's ship and raid it while they're in space. Not in space, and not by an outside force, but the Dragon Balls DO get stolen from the ship!
  • Jeff predicts that the gang might contact Earth, and in would love to see them try to invite Goten and learn nothing from Ep15. Ha, nope!
  • Maybe have some B story covering things happening on Earth. Doesn't happen.
  • The ship isn't going to blow up anytime soon. It doesn't.
  • The ship will again be placed in some kind of peril. It stays safe, surprisingly!
Worth noting that Mike recalls borrowing some of the next four episodes from Meri and promptly falling asleep during them (the plot thickens...). Mike also claims that they'll never abandon the GT Review of Awesomeness, which I call shenanagins on, sir!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 pm

As soon as I saw the podcast in the news I'm like, something is up here for sure. No way is Mike and co doing a legitimate podcast on power levels. It reminded me of that parody you did once with a fan and you put like a cool surfer dude nerd voice on and basically mocked the fanbase that care about this sort of stuff.

However, I thought you would just be taking the piss gain in a similar fashion, to hear the GT review of Awesomeness coming back was a great surprise even if these episodes aren't great. Let's see you guys reach the end this time!

spencer7x7

Post by spencer7x7 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 am

Am I the only one who wanted the actual topic for it to be power levels? I'm a little bummed.

However, the timing for the return of the reviews of awesomeness could not come at a better time, I'm at Volume 9 right now hearing it for the first time. I though the reviews were canceled forever so the return came as a huge surprise. I look forward to hearing those episodes when I am done with the manga reviews.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:44 am

nato25 wrote:As soon as I saw the podcast in the news I'm like, something is up here for sure. No way is Mike and co doing a legitimate podcast on power levels. It reminded me of that parody you did once with a fan and you put like a cool surfer dude nerd voice on and basically mocked the fanbase that care about this sort of stuff.
I was more thinking that one episode where all the segments were done by fans of the show, and one of them was "Mike" and "Julian" trying to calculate Broly's power level compared to Goku, and Mike slowly starts losing his faith in Julian's credibility. I beat Stormy Ascent in Crash N. Sane listening to that one, the hilarity ruined so many of my runs it was hilarious!

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:53 am

KBABZ wrote:I guess this explains why we didn't get an episode for Hiromi Tsuru.
I wonder if it will be the episode after the next one, considering how far back these are recorded.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 am

DB1984 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I guess this explains why we didn't get an episode for Hiromi Tsuru.
I wonder if it will be the episode after the next one, considering how far back these are recorded.
Yeah, I'm hoping it'll be quite soon, and I expect it will appear at some point considering an episode was also done for Daisuke Gori. It's an unfortunate bit of timing that it would happen after this pre-recorded episode, and it's pretty clear from the tone and mention of "No idea what will happen between when this records and when it goes up" that it was before her passing. Although I am a bit surprised that there wasn't a record scratch moment to mention why this wasn't the topic.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:15 am

MY GOD.

So a thing about me (Hi, haven't posted on this forum for a while but I still <3 you guys) is that I have never actually seen all of GT. Tried a couple times and I always tap out. SO, years ago when you started your GT Review of Awesomeness, I said "OK this is my chance to force myself to do this. I'll watch along and we'll get through it together." BUUUT we all know how that went!

Well, I'm happy to try again. See you on the other side (maybe. hopefully. i guess.)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 am

As one of like two longtime fans who seem to have more than a lukewarm tolerance for GT, I welcome this return.

Be gentle.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 am

God, this is such a crazy coincidence. I was just thinking about the GT Review of Awesomeness a few days ago. Really excited to see more of it!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

Listening to it now.

Aw. I don't actually hate these episodes, or think they're anywhere near GT's nadir (which would be episodes 8 through 12 or so for me). And definitely not the nadir of the franchise. Pan's "Girls get stronger when they cry!" moment is fucking terrible though.

Pan sneaking around and Goku fighting the Sigma Force are a drag (especially with the second being an Uchiyama episode), but since I tend to think of this mini-arc as a seven-episode whole, I wind up not minding them much on rewatches.

I do love the aesthetics of M2 though. Actually to the point that listening to this has made me want to rewatch this portion. Outside of the Uchiyama episode, I think it's quite a well-directed portion of the show.

EDIT -- You've probably looked at this already, but 22 is the next natural breaking point, as the climax of the mini-arc.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:47 pm

I’ll admit I totally got swerved in the beginning, even though I knew you guys would never talk battle powers.

Big agreement on the M2 stuff going deeper, there’s always talk about lack of world building in this series and they blew a chance with that one.

Also, gotta say the “blind” perspective is super interesting.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 pm

So I've been looking around for the saxophone version of Dan Dan used in the outro here, and I just can't find it! Does anyone know what it was originally called?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 am

This was a lovely surprise. Fell for the title and went "This topic again?" but holy crap you brought something even better!

Yes, I hate the dub choice for GT music. Have you tried watching the credit clip show of the final episode with this music? Not good!

EDIT: Regarding A Grand Problem, I share the same statement with Jeff regarding the search for the Dragon Balls. It showed nothing and an episode later when they showed Rild with three balls I was so confused on how and when they got them because they never ever mentioned them having them.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:30 am

KBABZ wrote:So I've been looking around for the saxophone version of Dan Dan used in the outro here, and I just can't find it! Does anyone know what it was originally called?
It's from the Japanese version of Raging Blast 2; that game's soundtrack features tons of new Kikuchi orchestrations as well as as some vocal song instrumentals like this... all of which was replaced internationally, sadly.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::