Bonus Episodes: The Story of "Solid State Scouter" + lo-fidelity "Solid State Survivor" Review

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Bonus Episodes: The Story of "Solid State Scouter" + lo-fidelity "Solid State Survivor" Review

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Kanzenshuu Bonus Episode: The Story of "Solid State Scouter" (download MP3) (rss feed)
9:46; 160 kbps, stereo; 11.7 MB

Bonus episode! Tune in as Mike provides a complete history of the Dragon Ball Z Bardock TV song insert song "Solid State Scouter" by Dragon Magic Orchestra. What makes the song so special and memorable, and who actually made it?!

REFERENCED SITES:
SONGS USED (in order of appearance):
  • Direct audio from Bardock TV special (Freeza destroys Planet Vegeta)
  • Direct audio from Bardock TV special (first instance of "Solid State Scouter")
  • Dragon Magic Orchestra - "Solid State Scouter" (from Dragon Ball Z: Hit Song Collection 4)
  • Yasunori Iwasaki - "Ikuru's Dance on the Battlefield" (from the Dragon's Heaven Original Soundtrack)
  • Ryō Horikawa - "Lord Vegeta's Cooking Hell - Okonomiyaki Recipe" (from Dragon Ball Z: Hit Song Collection 8)
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Firecracker" (from the band's 1978 self-titled album)
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Rydia" (from the band's 1979 album Solid State Survivor)
  • Dragon Magic Orchestra - "Solid State Scouter" (from Dragon Ball Z: Hit Song Collection 4)
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Technopolis" (from the band's 1979 album Solid State Survivor)
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Solid State Survivor" (from the band's 1979 album Solid State Survivor)
  • Ryuichi Sakamoto - "Thousand Knives" (from his 1978 album Thousand Knives)
  • Hideki Matsutake - "Fighters of Pain" (from the Guardian Heroes Original Soundtrack)
  • MONOLITH - "The Journey of the 1ST. Ball" (from Dragon Ball Z: Hit Song Collection 7)
  • Hironobu Kageyama - "Towards the Future That the Light Shines On!" (from the Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World video game original soundtrack / CD single)
  • MONOLITH - "Battle Point Unlimited" (from Dragon Ball Z: Hit Song Collection 6)
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Solid State Survivor" (from the band's 1979 album Solid State Survivor)
Aaaaaaaaaaand also in the feed, as referenced above, you're going to find this for your listening pleasure!

lo-fidelity episode 10: Yellow Magic Orchestra "Solid State Survivor" Review (download MP3) (rss feed)
57:36; 64 kbps, stereo; 109.6 MB

On this episode of lo-fidelity, we review Yellow Magic Orchestra's seminal album Solid State Survivor. We are going to explore the themes and musicality of one of the most influential albums in electronic music. YMO have been credited for influencing the majority of early video game music composers, as well as countless hip hop and electronic acts. Come explore this landmark of synthpop with us!

FURTHER READING:
Enjoy, and we'll be back at ya' with a normal episode next week!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Bonus Episodes: The Story of "Solid State Scouter" + lo-fidelity "Solid State Survivor" Review

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Hey Mike, the link on the main page doesn't work. Podcast is spelt as "podcat" in the URL! Luckily the one in this thread works.

Something I bumped into as I was listening: at 6:00, the track that comes in has an opening beat very much like that of Egg Emperor from Sonic Heroes! I know a "beat" is a very commonly-used thing in music production, but I thought it was cool to note.

The tone of the music samples is of a genre and time I feel unfamiliar with, but it instantly reminded me of music from a game I purchased recently called Neon Drive that seems to recreate the genre.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Bonus Episodes: The Story of "Solid State Scouter" + lo-fidelity "Solid State Survivor" Review

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Much appreciated side-topic, right to the point. It was always a curious song to me, standing out so much from Kikuchi's compositions. All of your typical sourcing is a boon for a topic like this.

Can we post arrangements? Because I found a neat one a little while back.

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/516422

He did another version farther down the page that's comparatively more line with the original.