Episode #0433 (28 January 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0433 (28 January 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 am

Episode #0433 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
57:12; 96 kbps, mono; 39.5 MB

Episode #0433! Mike, Meri, and Jeff bring the M2 arc to a close in our "Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness"... or do we?! Dr. Mu has effectively been defeated and his(?) creation, Baby, appears all but destroyed. Where do our heroes possibly go from here? Join us for a look at "Dragon Ball GT" episodes 19-22!

SEGMENTS:
00:13 - Introduction
03:06 - Topic
47:43 - Wrapup

REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0433 (28 January 2018)

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 pm

I got up to the part with the planet seen through the window. When I watched these episodes, I was under the impression that Dr. Myuu WAS on Planet M2 and just a different part of the castle (after all, how does the main cast get back to their ship?). I don't recall ever actually seeing Planet Myuu ever get mentioned in either the subs or dub. Was it?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 am

So, as alluded to in my post last time, here are my personal notes from watching GT. As always, I watched the Dub version with the Japanese score.

Overall thoughts: General Rilldo is only a mildly more interesting opponent than the Sigma Force, if only because the Sigma Force have basically been stalling this whole time so that the B plot in the factory can Pan out. One great surprise though is Serious Goku. In addition to being excited for the fights, Goku standing all serious-like feels a lot like we’re seeing the adult Goku shine through, a nice reminder that this isn’t just a transported Kid Goku from the olden times. Unfortunately there really isn’t much to say about these episodes because nothing much happens. Pan does stuff, gets constantly thrown out of the factory, Goku and Rilldo fight some more… I’m waiting for the plot to kick back in so I can write about it.

I'm also going to list my overall thoughts on the first eighteen episodes below, but due to length I'm keeping them in a Spoiler tag because, well, aesthetics and all that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 am

Thoughts and reactions:

I was glad to hear what was mostly a consensus on the strength of the aesthetics in this string of episodes. GT's certainly not winning any writing awards—much as I like it, I completely agree with Mike's sentiment this episode that it's miles away from the manga at this point, and not yet in any kind of interesting way—but with the exception of some of its episodes helmed by lesser animation studios, it's always a stylish series. On those merits alone, in addition to the interesting backdrop M2's metallic forests and abandoned cities provide, I wind up really enjoying the Goku-Rilld fight.

I'm with both Meri and Jeff here on Pan entering the base one two many times. That felt tiring even the first time I watched it.

That aside, though, I'm pretty fond of this batch. As slapdash as Trunks and Giru's explanation feels—it's much more a Saturday-morning-styled copout than an insane Toriyama copout, sadly—the sense of climax here is palpable. I also love, love Baby's introduction. There are some parallels to Cell, but presentation-wise Baby feels like his own thing (in terms of Dragon Ball). Episode 22 is sublimely creepy. I think his fixation on Saiyans is also a sufficient amount of mystery for the time-being. (And this in fact marks the third and final time the original run of Dragon Ball ever goes for any amount of sustained mystery—the first half of the Cell arc, a brief and incredible bit of the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai, and now here with Baby's nature and motivations.)

Minor reaction: I have to admit I'm not really sure where the nitpicks on Baby's room came from. For me, that's just another part of the strong aesthetics in this string of episodes. Why does the ceiling look like the night sky? I don't know! This is fantasy super-science stuff, and it's a memorable moment and setting. Why does Beerus' planet have moons? What part of it does he sleep in? How does anything about anything in the World of Void make sense? A place where there's no time, except when there is. And gravity for everything except the stage and its pieces, but only when they're floating and not when they're thrown. Dragon Ball's full of cool-looking nonsense (though, actually, not usually in the scenery, and that's one of the things GT really gets to play with without a Toriyama manga to adapt), and I have no problem accepting that the pool at the bottom of the room filters through Baby's tank or ... something.

I enjoy M2 more as a whole than the next five episodes, but I'm curious to see if I'll wind up opposite of the podcast gangs' opinions on that. 23 is spectacularly boring and 24 only sneaks in a memorable moment or two (also the idea of the hospital planet is ... kind of dumb), but maybe everyone will enjoy the string of Baby-on-Earth episodes more than I do. There are a couple of juicy catching-up-with-characters moments, if nothing else.

See you all next time for some deserved cocked eyebrows at a certain scene with Pan and a deer. (When GT is good, it's stylish and cozy and a kind of interesting as a slightly melancholy epilogue, and when it's bad it pushes the boundaries of good taste with abandon in the absolute most embarrassing and baffling ways. Though thankfully 24 is the last time it ever does this.)

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Hey Mike, do you happen to have a link for the Deen album with Hitori Janai in Bossa Nova? Or the name of the album.

Would really appreciate it! I can't find anything on it except for the song on youtube.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Drayenko wrote:Hey Mike, do you happen to have a link for the Deen album with Hitori Janai in Bossa Nova? Or the name of the album.

Would really appreciate it! I can't find anything on it except for the song on youtube.
"Classics Two" album from 2000.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000051TF5
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am

Is anybody disturbed by Dr. Myuu's death? Its like a straight reference to the Alien films sans facehuggers.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: “I’ve been trained in the art of self-defense!” …that has to be the weakest threat anybody has ever made in the history of Dragon Ball. Next to “I’ll take you out with my Wolf Fang Fist!”, of course.
This line... in my opinion the absolute worst dub line in the entirety of FUNimation's Dragon Ball dub. Yeah, the dub is known for some of the corniest dub lines ever but this? My palm doesn't have enough power to express how much I hate it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:13 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: “I’ve been trained in the art of self-defense!” …that has to be the weakest threat anybody has ever made in the history of Dragon Ball. Next to “I’ll take you out with my Wolf Fang Fist!”, of course.
This line... in my opinion the absolute worst dub line in the entirety of FUNimation's Dragon Ball dub. Yeah, the dub is known for some of the corniest dub lines ever but this? My palm doesn't have enough power to express how much I hate it.
It probably would have worked in the original arc when Goku first met Bulma and hadn't been trained by Master Roshi. At GT's stage of the story though... yeah, pretty ridiculous.