Episode #0436 (11 March 2018)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0436 (11 March 2018)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Episode #0436 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
25:22; 96 kbps, mono; 17.6 MB

Episode #0436! Mike, Julian, and Ajay discuss the trickle of information reveals about the upcoming theatrical film set for release in December 2018. A series director from "Dragon Ball Super" (with plenty of experience external to this franchise, as well) steps up to direct the new film, while new blood steps up to oversee its animation and visual design. Notably missing from the staff announcement is Tadayoshi Yamamuro. Between these staff announcements and what Toriyama says in his own words, what does this mean for the future of the franchise?

SEGMENTS:
00:13 - Introduction
02:04 - News/Topic 1 (Toriyama's film comments)
10:59 - News/Topic 2 (Film staff reveals)
24:38 - Wrapup

REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0436 (11 March 2018)

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 pm

On Nagamine's art style, to me the promo piece feels a bit more loose and fluid like Toriyama's art in the Saiyan and Namek sagas, and I think that statement was made with Goku's depiction: in the dogi from Namek with the go symbol and tie-up waistband paired with Nyoi-bo (not seen since just before Kami, in-universe). His hair in particular makes me think of that old run in DBZ and the way it's blowing in the wind, it all feels very classical Dragon Ball to me. By contrast Yamamuro's artwork, at least what I see coming from Super, feels rather "rigid" and solid.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

I'm very curious about why nyoi-bo's back and I can't help wondering if it has anything to do with the movie's plot or if they only drew Goku holding nyoi-bo because of nostalgic reasons.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm very curious about why nyoi-bo's back and I can't help wondering if it has anything to do with the movie's plot or if they only drew Goku holding nyoi-bo because of nostalgic reasons.
I think it's a drawing to show the new art style and harken back to classic DBZ. Or maybe Goku goes back to that gi and pops Nyoi-bo off of Korin's Tower for some reason. Aside from Videl I don't think there's been a plot-relevant change of costume in the series.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am

KBABZ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm very curious about why nyoi-bo's back and I can't help wondering if it has anything to do with the movie's plot or if they only drew Goku holding nyoi-bo because of nostalgic reasons.
I think it's a drawing to show the new art style and harken back to classic DBZ. Or maybe Goku goes back to that gi and pops Nyoi-bo off of Korin's Tower for some reason. Aside from Videl I don't think there's been a plot-relevant change of costume in the series.
It just strikes me odd because there's a plot reason nyoi-bo isn't used anymore (fulfilling its' original purpose connecting Korin's to the Lookout). I could be looking too much into it. March 25th is only a few weeks away anyhow so everyone will know more then.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 am

So, is this a read-between-the-lines snub at Tadayoshi Yamamuro or is it just a simple creative choice difference for the film?

If its the former, then this is a less-controversial, but significant change since Kenji Yamamoto.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 am

Chuquita wrote:It just strikes me odd because there's a plot reason nyoi-bo isn't used anymore (fulfilling its' original purpose connecting Korin's to the Lookout).
I personally didn't interpret it like that; Kami's Lookout was floating there perfectly fine beforehand. To me the real purpose of the staff is to act as a way for people to get to the Lookout in the first place, in the days before flight was common and the Nimbus could only go as high as Korin's Tower. The reason the Nyoi-bo wasn't used after that was the increasing use of ki attacks and fast, teleportation-like movement rendering melee weapons useless.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 am

KBABZ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It just strikes me odd because there's a plot reason nyoi-bo isn't used anymore (fulfilling its' original purpose connecting Korin's to the Lookout).
I personally didn't interpret it like that; Kami's Lookout was floating there perfectly fine beforehand. To me the real purpose of the staff is to act as a way for people to get to the Lookout in the first place, in the days before flight was common and the Nimbus could only go as high as Korin's Tower. The reason the Nyoi-bo wasn't used after that was the increasing use of ki attacks and fast, teleportation-like movement rendering melee weapons useless.
I'm more interested in why it'd be brought out of retirement rather then why it was retired.

I'll just wait to see what Shueisha says about the movie on the 25th.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:34 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm more interested in why it'd be brought out of retirement rather then why it was retired.

I'll just wait to see what Shueisha says about the movie on the 25th.
Oh yeah, easiest way to get answers there. Personally I think it's just a promo piece for the art style; I'd be very surprised if Goku started using Nyoi-bo again, even briefly.