Episode #0089 (12 August 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0089 (12 August 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Episode #0089 (download MP3)
62:39; 64 kbps, mono; 28.6 MB

Episode #0089! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, and Jeff dive into volume seven of the "Manga Review of Awesomeness." It seems to have picked up a bit from the last volume, but has Toriyama alienated some up-and-coming fans with a step backwards in humor and story-telling? Japanese figures news, American internet streaming, Meri's Top 5 Panels from volume seven, August's releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *eighty-nine* episodes, now.

We're here this week to smack you with Volume 7 of the "Manga Review of Awesomeness"...! We all seem to share some pretty interesting thoughts regarding this volume. Don't want to spoil too much of the discussion here, so I'll just let the discussion play out for itself!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:01 pm

Downloading right now... I've had a crappy night so far. Here's hoping this'll cheer me up...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:13 pm

Been looking forward to this all day. Had a very, very busy weekend. @_@
I needed something to wind down with. :mrgreen:

I remember seeing those DB figures while browsing JumpLand a couple days ago. They look very cool. (I wish they sold figures of that quality here.)

EDIT: Fun episode. Actually made me want to go break out my old Viz copies 'n read through some of them. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:51 am

Loved your answer to the hentai question, that was a good way to look at things, too.

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 am

I love these episodes. Its a "read along special". Makes me feel like I was there...surrounded by God only knows what their house looks like when Mike and friends get dru...silly.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 am

The Hentai Email topic....Wow. Seriously, I have seen hentai and not cared. Like, random shows are "Hentai" only. Characters invented for hentai. I call it "Pure Hentai". However, when I see Final Fantasy Hentai, I laugh a little but feel strange about it. But when I see Goku #$%$ing Bulma, I feel sick. I call that stuff "Quantum Hentai", its wrong because it exists by taking one universe and putting it in one where everyone is horny. Its like watching your parents do it. Its wrong and it hurts my soul like....umm....a soul hurt...er person...thing.

Anyway, in a nutshell: "Pure" Hentai=tollerable. "Quantum Hentai"= OH GOD NO!!!
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 am

rofl @ the hentai question. I was totally waiting for the elevator at my office when Meri unwittingly quoted Rule #34 and I wanted to laugh out loud but had to settle for cracking a smile.

Also Julian is a big prude. Not going to say that's bad but it's definitely funny to listen to.

my ouendan 2 progress: VISTA on Insane. Oh god Insane is Insane. Jesus christ. The bubbles... so small! :(

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:41 am

BTW does Jeff actually work for Apple?? :O

wolf

Post by wolf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:50 am

I didn't expect to get my question answered about Japanese and I'm suprised. And I thought I was the only one who used flash cards and stuff so I guess I'm not the only one. That and using the Genki textbooks. Thanks for bringing back memories of reading those Mary-san stories I had to read in Japanese class. lol

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Nice work on the hentai question. I'm stumbled over my fair share of DB hentai (Read: Seen/read lots of Dragon Ball/One Piece/Haruhi hentai), and I have to agree that most of the stuff that is involved with hentai is very out of character. Then again, there are a whole bunch of "The week before the Cell Games" hentai doujinshi that...I guess could be considered realistic :P

As for learning Japanese, I'm reading books and trying to learn some basics from that. Am I doing something horribly wrong? Or are books okay for just learning some simple things?

wolf

Post by wolf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 pm

fps_anth wrote:Nice work on the hentai question. I'm stumbled over my fair share of DB hentai (Read: Seen/read lots of Dragon Ball/One Piece/Haruhi hentai), and I have to agree that most of the stuff that is involved with hentai is very out of character. Then again, there are a whole bunch of "The week before the Cell Games" hentai doujinshi that...I guess could be considered realistic :P

As for learning Japanese, I'm reading books and trying to learn some basics from that. Am I doing something horribly wrong? Or are books okay for just learning some simple things?
Nothing wrong with any kind of learning but I suggest you study the language so you know what you're doing.

For basics, I suggest taking a course if you can but if you want to go by the books, I suggest the Genki-An Intergrated course in Japanese. They're from Japan, but they're in English. And you'll find the Mary-san stories sometimes hilarious.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:35 am

Awesome podcast. It served as really good company on the way to my college tour :D.

The little crossover in volume 7 with Dr. Slump made me interested in the series enough to check out the first couple volumes when Viz released them. Though, I think it's just so silly, that I really don't want to continue reading. There's just so many comedic cartoons that I've watched, that I'm just not interested in one more. But then again, I'm still interested enough to want to know who those other characters are in the crossover that I never got far enough in the reading to see. I was just as lost as Jeff was when Mike starts explaining who I'm guessing is some kind of Gatchan twin or something :?...

And I'm gonna side with Mike on the whole hentai question. It's just really wrong and disturbing to see (insert any series here) characters in such different and uncharacteristic situations. My logic is that if you're into that kind of stuff, then why not see the real thing? ... Geez, this is an uncomfortable topic.

Those capsule sets look badass. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple fro mthe Saiya-jinn arc a while back, but nothing more. Some of the sculpts get kinda iffy, but they're still good all in all. I especially like the forced perspectives some of the figures take.

Keep up the good work, as always :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 am

wolf wrote:Nothing wrong with any kind of learning but I suggest you study the language so you know what you're doing.

For basics, I suggest taking a course if you can but if you want to go by the books, I suggest the Genki-An Intergrated course in Japanese. They're from Japan, but they're in English. And you'll find the Mary-san stories sometimes hilarious.
I was actually just about to ask about those. So, they're good? I wouldn't be wasting my time?

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:42 am

I think I might find this volume in my local Waterstones (well its not that close but it sounds better than The Waterstones in town) despite them never selling volume 6.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am

The only thing I like about the Dragonball Z hentai is that it gave us a face to relate to Goku's mom. What was her name again?

Either way, she had radditz's hair and she was cool looking.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:18 pm

Nice to know that there's another Yellow fan out there - he seems to be one of the most forgotten of the officers, which isn't surprising, given his extremely small/short role. I didn't have time to listen to the whole podcast, but the parts I did listen to I quite liked. This episode got some laughs out of me, and it made me realize how many times Blue didn't die. He's like the Mikhail Bakunin of the Dragonball world.
Assassins showing no regard for life
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:44 pm

It struck me as interestingly coincidental that Julian's to be Japanward-bound on September 4, when my notetaker, being reactivated after a couple months of not being powered, had the date as September 4, 2003 on Sunday. DNA evidence.

I don't really like the Funi voice for Dr. Slump in the crossover episodes. Though it isn't too inappropriate, I guess... I think I just prefer the voices from the Fyrestarter fandub.

And... well... I should save my comment about Blue until next volume.

Woah, crazy dangerous yelling. *posts*
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 am

:( I was first introduced to DBZ 'hentai' through Castor Troy's Vegeta Insane fanfiction section. It corrupted my 12 year-old mind into what it is today.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:11 pm

Most of your reasons for hating Dragonball hentai the the same as my reasons for hating Pokemon hentai. In my opinion the worst kinds of hentai are the incest kind. I mean thats just sick and wrong.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:12 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
wolf wrote:Nothing wrong with any kind of learning but I suggest you study the language so you know what you're doing.

I was actually just about to ask about those. So, they're good? I wouldn't be wasting my time?
The Genki books are great, but I don't imagine them working as well without an actual instructor. They work best as a course textbook. However, they are very well organized and do a great job explaining grammar points. Far superior to the later "Intermediate Japanese" books. The saga of Mary-san and Takeshi is epic as hell though. Poor Takeshi. He gets sexually harrassed on the train...