Episode #0090 (19 August 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 am

This episode and topic have got me hooked on getting new Dragonball music (And the Lucky Star tune). Man the Japanese music on my iPod just keeps on growing.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:22 am

That was great!
I was sitting on the bus and the podcast was just finishing when I heard the talking and singing in the last minute or so, and I started laughing on the bus :P, thankfully there weren't many people on it.

Edit : Oh and by the way, is there always a little minute or so at the end of each podcast for random talkings? If so, I've been missing out!

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:12 am

The dude from Australia is a loser and one of those ¨I LUV BOXSETS and YOU SHOULD TOO!¨. This is why Funimation thinks all their fans are 9 year old idiots who will buy any crap they throw out their cage. :roll:

About the boxsets, this brings up a great point as to the quality of the boxsets. I went to a Wall-Mart and found the boxset for Season 1 and saw it for 19.99 American. I then went and looked and saw it IN THE SALE RACK. One more thing I have to say is that that thing you said about how it would be like if you promoted the games and boxsets. I had a hearty laugh and ejoyed it greatly. Made me feel good after doing all that sub translations for the fandub which has drained me a little bit too much.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

DaftBrian

Dr. Wheelo!!

Post by DaftBrian » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:41 pm

OMG! Fiiiiiiiiiinally!!!!

Dr. Wheelo!!!! I am so happy!!
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:13 pm

I finally watched that Lucky Star/DBZ MAD last night and... damn you LaBrie, that opening song is stuck in my head permanently. Forever.

:evil:

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:11 am

My god, I really wonder how old that guy was who sent the hate mail. From the way he spoke he sounded like the generic personality for a Dubbie who knows nothing. This is why people hate Dubbies. On another note regarding the same subject, EX, I myself do infact view you as a Sempai of sorts. I am someone who owns all of the Manga and has watched quite a bit of DB & DBZ in Japanese. However my preference is still the Funimation Dub by far. I prefer their voice cast and Faulconer's music. I am also someone who is enjoying and buying the Season Sets despite their obvious faults. So needless to say, sometimes I'll get all fired up and pissed off at the things you say. But regardless I realize that you are an intellegent DragonBall Fan who knows his stuff. I mean you're like a celebrity to me. Seriously, at Anime Next despite there being 2 or 3 Voice Actors that I knew there. I was more psyched about getting to see and meet you (I know that sounds lame). I was the jerk who asked you if there was any Engish Dub Voice that you prefered to the Seiyuu by the way. :P

Anyway sorry about that little rant. I just wanted you to know that there is atleast 1 hardcore Dubbie and Season Set supporter who has the utmost respect for you and what you've done or the online DragonBall community for nearly a decade.
Last edited by Lavender Saiyan on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 am

I really enjoyed this podcast the music section helped so much I thought for ages those songs reminded me of something XD
As for the personal stuff on the 'cast keep it in, it's nice to hear what you are up to. This is a fan thing and the fan atmosphere is really important.

As for the ranting Aussie wow, bile much? I wasn't clear did he import the US season box set? ( I can't find the PAL one on Madman's Aus shop). What kind of fan of English language versions would import the US version when one is confirmed for your own territory? From the UK DVDs based on Madman masters I'd say they'll probably work out nicer anyway.

*bonus after music content for the win*
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Vaeran

Post by Vaeran » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Just listened to this podcast, and I have a couple of instances of "borrowed" Dragonball music that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet.

First, listen to "Hand-in-Hand Fight" from Dragonball Z3 / Budokai 3 (track 8 on the soundtrack). Now pull out your copy of the first Cowboy Bebop OST and play "Bad Dog No Biscuits" (track 4). It basically rips the whole track off, but you can REALLY hear it around 1:08 of Bad Dog, where the second section starts and 0:52 of Hand-in-Hand. I'm actually surprised no one else has noticed this one.

The second one's a little obscure, but should be immediately familiar to anyone who played Actraiser on the SNES. "Opening #1~#2" from DBZ Ultimate Battle 22 lifts the part from 1:29 to 1:35 from Actraiser's boss theme "The Beast Appears". It's only a few seconds of music, but it's pretty blatant regardless.

I can provide the relevant mp3s if people need them, though I'm not sure what the board's policy is about sharing music from commercially available albums.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:35 pm

The theme from the 'Hyperbolic Time Chamber' level in Budokai 3 contains elements from the Toto song 'Stranger In Town'. It's not surprising when you realize that three members of the band perform on the soundtrack.

I don't have a way to fade the clips in or out, so the transition between them is a little jarring.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X5F5W7VM

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:26 am

I found another "borrowed" song....listen to "Brain Dance" and then listen to John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band's "On the Darkside": http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1neyPHU7us

Sonsaiy

Post by Sonsaiy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:57 pm

I can’t believe I didn’t remember this as I listened to the episode a few weeks back.

The Budokai 3 “level up” music (dragon universe)
http://media.putfile.com/Budokai-3-Level-up-theme
sounds similar like this old disco song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkN_281zsk

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:59 pm

I got one as well: Click here!

At around 27 second of this clip, the climax of the BGM "Dragon Ball Z" starts. If you only whistle the theme without anything else, this will immediately remind you of the Simpson's opening theme. I found out recently by whistling the same tune when my Roommate busted in and asks, "Is that the Simpson's theme?" And I feel stupid afterwards... But to the point, the Simpsons started in December of 1989. Now, this BGM was used first (I think) in Movie 1, which was first released in the July of 1989...that's pretty damn close.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin