Episode #0090 (19 August 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0090 (19 August 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Episode #0090 (download MP3)
47:31; 64 kbps, mono; 21.7 MB

Episode #0090! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss DragonBall songs with obvious homages to completely unrelated songs... or in the case of one particular song, just copy it outright. Video game news, music news, August's releases, and some in-depth e-mail responses round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the bizarro *ninety* episodes, now.

Wasn't planning on plugging a few AMVs in there, but they came up in the course of discussion a particular fan-made DragonBall video on YouTube, so there you go! Definitely fun times had by all. Enjoy!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:32 pm

That Lucky Star/Budokai video was so random, that it was hilarious.

*listens*

-While we're on the topic of MAD AMV's...Haruhi in the second Death Note opening!

-Nice topic. I'm so going to look for songs that sound like DB songs now :wink:
Last edited by fps_anth on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:49 pm

I wish I remembered how to do those cheats in B3... Japanese version only?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 pm

That was a pretty badass topic. Awesome shit.

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:01 pm

In regards to "borrowed" songs, The Ballad of Majin Buu sounds amazingly like, at least in the beginning, Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses. At least, that's my opinion.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:25 pm

That Lucky Star/DBZ music video has convinced me to check out the series.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:30 pm

That Vegeta clothing ad at the end of the Dbz/Lucky Star video... XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:23 am

That Animetal 'Mystical Adventure' was fucking awesome!

And that 'to catch a mister-roboto predator' skit was awkward. Awkward and hilarious!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 am

Sedorna wrote:In regards to "borrowed" songs, The Ballad of Majin Buu sounds amazingly like, at least in the beginning, Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses. At least, that's my opinion.
Nice! I'll take a listen today at work... I think I'll be able to deal with listening to Hit 17 :P.

If anyone else has any other thoughts on songs that are referencing other songs, by all means let me know, and I'll include a couple next episode.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 am

Woah its does sound like James Bond, there is one part where it does sound like the N64 version of Golden Eye's version of the song.
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:30 am

In terms of the the last email in the Podcast, I agree with the idea that the topics are not quite the same as earlier Podcast's. Going from Gohan's growth to 'what we thought about the latest Dragon Ball cover?'. My thinking is however that you've simply exhausted topics. Unless Funi re-re-re-release Dragon Ball with the Dragon Box footage, then we're not going to get a really heart stopping topic. The last GT episode idea sounds great though!

Keep going guys only ten more to go!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:51 pm

Ugh, leave it to quasi-hate mail to turn the podcast into a very special episode. nwoo_2002 basically said everything I wanted to. And it's not like these newer episodes are more half-assed, it just seems like you're not going "as deep" as you used to. The podcast is still awesome, though. As for you guys going out of the way to talk about random stuff in your life, I agree with you guys that it gives a better picture of the people I'm listening to. It also eliminates the possibility that the podcast is being hosted by robots for me :).

Pretty awesome topic this time around. Comparisons are always fun to do, as demonstrated by the "differing animation styles" thread. I don't really know any similarities between DB songs and other ones (but I do think L's Theme in Death Note sounds like the Halloween movies' theme).

The ending was so random :lol:. Poor Julian. He's the last person I'd expect to see on "Catching a Predator."
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:58 pm

I enjoyed this episode, but then again, I enjoy everything music-related. I'm very excited for the upcoming GT episode. :D

sharkdude0709

Post by sharkdude0709 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:15 pm

The ending was great! i wish you guys could do that again with Julian tricking him like that :P
As long as mankind exists there will always be battles.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:59 pm

This is dub music but Chibi Buu's dub theme sounds a whole lot like S.O.A.D's Marmalade.

Chibi Buu's theme-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pds9cOLFDBo

Marmalade-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvEYR6hBrM
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 pm

The in-depth conversations you guys are looking for with regards to actual events and things that happen in the storyline are indeed in the pipeline and coming (re: GT ending analysis mentioned during show). You'll notice that every single year, and this was going on long before the podcast existed, that general content takes a dive during the summer months due to AMV crunch-time. Gotta keep in mind that a DBZ site is but one of the many things I'm involved in :).

If you think we're out of topics, you haven't seen my notebook with scribbles of topic ideas, talking points, top five lists, etc. And I guess it would be impossible for anyone to see. So... uhh... yeah :D.

We've actually had this conversation before... a couple responses I received from a few different people were that they've seen the show, they've talked about the show with friends, and they don't want to hear other people just talking and speculating *about* the show... they want to learn about its history, and things that immediately affect them in the present as a current fan. We do our best to cover all grounds, there... the summer months will always be a little more media-heavy, so I think that just lends itself to some of the topics we've done recently.

Thoughts?

(Oh, and I heard a song on the DBZ1/DBZ2 OST today that reminded me of a classic-rock song I couldn't place at the time... I'll try to remember it for next episode...)

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm

Well I don't think all the topics during this summer period have all been lack lustre, although against the rules, the topic which included a One Piece comparison (I think it was 'Would you watch a new redub?') was really interesting. I really do look forward to these upcoming episodes, the GT idea is one I’m really hoping you record soon.

Have you thought about reviewing the last 'Remastered' set once it's released as some form of comparison from set one to...whatever number they decide?

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:35 pm

VegettoEX, I gotta say, that piece of "hate mail" you read sounded like you got trolled. I mean, throughout the entire mail from the beginning to the P.S. Over 9000! comment at the end, it just smacked of sarcasm... not genuine dislike of your show. It seems to me he was either looking to rile you up or get a similarly sarcastic response back. I honestly think you just fell into a trap there.

I am greatly looking forward to the DBGT last episode podcast, because the defeat of the One Star Dragon, and the subsequent flash forward was one of my favorite moments in the series. It ranks up there with the very end of DBZ where Mr. Satan convinces the world to lend their power to the Spirit Bomb that eventually ends up taking out Buu. Such greatness.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Sabin Deus wrote:VegettoEX, I gotta say, that piece of "hate mail" you read sounded like you got trolled. I mean, throughout the entire mail from the beginning to the P.S. Over 9000! comment at the end, it just smacked of sarcasm... not genuine dislike of your show. It seems to me he was either looking to rile you up or get a similarly sarcastic response back. I honestly think you just fell into a trap there.
I was conscious of that going in, and everyone here discussed that a bit after the show's recording. The only thing that leads me to believe it's not just a normal troll is that they've sent e-mails in the past that are pretty well-written, have legitimate questions to be answered, etc. It seems like it would have been a lot of work over a couple months to go to the effort just to end up sending something like that. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also aware that there are tons of completely delusional people on the intartubes.
Sabin Deus wrote:I am greatly looking forward to the DBGT last episode podcast, because the defeat of the One Star Dragon, and the subsequent flash forward was one of my favorite moments in the series. It ranks up there with the very end of DBZ where Mr. Satan convinces the world to lend their power to the Spirit Bomb that eventually ends up taking out Buu. Such greatness.
Glad to hear it! As much as I dislike GT as a general whole, I think the ending is pretty fucking amazing (which I'm pretty sure I've said a few times on the show), so I'm personally looking forward to getting into detail on it.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Between the answering of AngryAussie's e-mail, the choice of ending theme, and the bloopers at the end, the second half of this episode was hilarious.

I think there were a couple vocal tracks in the DBZ world that had little short homages to other pre-existing songs. One of the group songs that was played on another episode had a piece of classico music in the background for like, 2 seconds and then went back to the characters singing together.