Episode #0092 (02 September 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0092 (02 September 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:28 pm

Episode #0092 (download MP3)
53:33; 64 kbps, mono; 24.5 MB

Episode #0092! VegettoEX and Meri debut the next inconsistencies discussion with the death of Cargo. While he was killed by Freeza in the manga, his killer was changed to Dodoria for the TV series. Why was this change made? Gigantic live-action movie news, video game news, music news, September's releases, and an AMV-themed collection of e-mails round out the episode. Julian is off to Japan! Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:41 pm

Just saw the video over at YouTube. Wow, I bet that took a lot of spare time to spot that little inconsistency. Then again, I've never read that saga in Manga form, so I'm not gonna act surprised. :) I'm expecting a lot more out of the discussion in the podcast. 8)
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Nice work on the video!

*downloads podcast*

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Dragon Ball or not, I gotta say that Linkin Park AMVs are getting rather annoying. Only a very select few have ever been good, but everything else have been just plain awful and felt more like they just took random scenes and slapped an overused LP song in. :\

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Downloading the episode now... Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say about the Live Action Movie news.

Apparently, part of the discussion is on "Linkin Ball Z" videos. I wholeheartedly agree that it's an overdone, if not faulty to begin with AMV concept. As I had in my sig recently, "DragonBall combined with Linkin Park is about as enjoyable as eating a peanut butter and razorblades sandwich."

But as I'm sure a lot of you know, I tend to try to look for the best in things. So it's no surprise that I stumbled upon this little gem. 8)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Nice podcast. Nice video too.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Meri -

I bought the new Linkin Park album having only heard the single once. I thought, "Hey, I used to listen to these guys all the time, why not?" First listen through, and I hated it. It was quite a let down, since I loved "Meteora" and "Hybrid Theory" so much. But, being the optimist that I am, I decided, well, since I had already bought it, I'll give it one more listen. Now, I'm actually really into it. It's definitely a grower, at least to me. Doesn't mean I'm telling you to give it a chance, but there really is some good stuff there. Maybe give it one more shot. Or not. Just thought I'd share my experience.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Woah, I completely forgot that this was supposed to be the manga review of awesome-ness episode.

While I think it's pretty interesting to bring up these little inconsistencies, I think that they're so minor that they don't really warrant an episode (a video, maybe, but not an episode).

But even so, I really enjoyed this episode, especially Mike's ranting on the word "emo." Being a high schooler, I hear it used a lot in a variety of ways and I really really hate what the term has degenerated into, especially since well, as you said, it's not even being used correctly. And even if you are gonna go ahead and accept the mainstream's definition of it, you're doing so to define someone/something that's the farthest from what the term is being used for. It's like Hot Topic stores in general; doesn't a mainstream gothic store defeat the purpose? Also (slightly related), after hearing Get Up Kids' "Holy Roman" in Mike's AMV, I hunted it down on iTunes and got it, so that's one point for Mike there.

Oops, I better bring myself back before this gets outta hand.

:er-hem: As for my personal thoughts on why it was changed from Freeza to Dodoria in the anime, I agree that it's just 'cuz Freeza isn't really defined as being the bully at this point, especially if you see it from Gohan and Kuririn's perspective. The following scene is also the one in which Dodoria's chasing Gohan and co, so I guess the change might have been to prep ourselves for that.

Another possibility could be that they're just changing it up a bit for the sake of the manga readers who are under the impression that they already know what's gonna happen. Though, afraid to make some major changes (:cough: like Death Note's finale did), Toei, or whoever's behind the direction of the episodes decided to throw in a little curve ball in the form of Cargo's death.

You guys also mentioned if Gohan and Kuririn were able to decrease their power to fake being dead. I remember somewhere in the series (Namek Saga, I think) that Vegeta is trying to track down the Earthlings and, frustrated, says something like "and they can put their power all the way down to zero, so it'll be impossible to find them!" So yeah, if you're being technical, I guess the Z-Fighters can freak everyone else out by faking dead. Though I'm sure they can't do it for long periods of time.
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Wow, I'm sorry about my "emo" email. What I meant by that, I'm 21 and I was around when "emotional hardcore" changed to "scene kids". What I really REALLY meant was; "Does 2007 + Linkin Park + current popular anime= Naruto Vids."

I meant the "Emo" part as a joke towards over emotional characters.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

kuchi

Post by kuchi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:17 pm

I share Meri's thoughts on the new Linkin Park album; there were a few songs that seemed workable, but even those I felt didn't carry the weight of even the "lesser" tracks of Meteora and Hybrid Theory. On the other hand, I had no idea that some video contests had specifically outlawed "LinkinBallZ" videos, despite their seemingly rabid unpopularity within the anime music video community (which is obviously a shame when you consider that it not only limits the potential creativity of editors but also "blacklists" all videos of that type despite how well some have been made, as Mike and Meri mentioned).

And, like DaemonCorps, I too ran out and grabbed some Get Up Kids after seeing "Succession." I s'pose I'll look into the other bands Mike listed...

Side note: thoroughly enjoyed the strange moment of "Mikey!" and evil cackles at the end.

I also remember back at AnimeExpo 2004 there was a something of a "manga AMV" in the contest that drew a lot on Yuu Watase's Fushigi Yugi manga and only a bit on the actual anime. I recall there being some hand-drawn "scenes" as well, but on the whole I remember it relying mostly on the manga and generic pictures of stars for footage.
Last edited by kuchi on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:12 am

I remember some "manga amv", that I thought it was on that AMV page, but I guess not. Was that you guys? Shit, I can't even remember what manga it was, or what the song was.

'New Linkin Park album' question: yeah, noone liked that LP album. :P I love Linkin Park, and even I'm sick of Linkin Park DBZ videos. But like the dynamic duo said, I'm not against people making more - just make it good.

Shit! I remember both 'Trunks Tribute' and 'Traces of Insanity' (I still have that one).

When people use the word 'emo' they use it in an exaggerated manner. Everyone who uses 'emo' in such a manner don't know, nor they care, what 'emo' music is. It is, very much, like Dragonball: people who use it not in reference to DB, but in reference to what they think it represents or has become.
And just like DBZ, people at large seem embarrassed to admit to liking emo.
Heh, you think emo's bad, I listen to rap. About computers and videogames and DnD and anime. We call it 'nerdcore'. Noone is more embarrassing than a bunch of nerds rapping about getting picked last in gym.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:58 am

Hi, Longtime visitor of DaizEX/Listener of the Podcast, First time Poster.
I think you guys are probabily right about why the Scene was changed, but I think it might have been because it kinda Makes Freeza look Weak. Like, He'll let his henchmen fight the bigger, badder guys, and the only ones he will kill himself are the kids. Like, He only attacks the ones who can't fight back, so it makes him look weak. But this is Just a Thought.

And just a Quick Correction, Episode 107 (where the S3 Boxed Set Ends) is the Episode where everyone, back on earth make the Wishes to bring Everyone back, like Kuririn, And the others (IE After the planet Explodes) and 108 is the first Episode of Garlic Jr.
So the Set will get through all of the Freeza Arc

achassi

Post by achassi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:58 pm

Woot! Thursday,The Early November, Get Up Kids, Texas is the Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate
NAHHH.Rules Schmules

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Ah, I was one of the people that PM'd you regarding the Skittles AMV :P

The Manga Next stuff you're going to do sounds amazing. How the hell did you get Japanese Jumps? OMFG PIX!

Don't really know my feelings regarding the live action movie. I think it's gonna be lame...but I really have to wait and see.

That Lincoln Park/Dragon Ball AMV rule is pretty retarted.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:47 am

Puzzle Fighter eh??? This sounds like a challenge!

VegettoEX, expect a friend request from Sabin Deus sometime at the end of the week :twisted:

Cosmodious

Post by Cosmodious » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:33 am

WOOOOOOOOOOO! This is my favorite episode! Not specifically because of it's content but because 2nd September was my birthday! Yay!

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:25 am

Cosmodious wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOO! This is my favorite episode! Not specifically because of it's content but because 2nd September was my birthday! Yay!
Huh no kidding, Sept. 2 is my ex-girlfriends birthday also. I didn't call her though, I was not drunk enough. Anyway, great podcast as usual.

::Leaves after adding nothing to the conversation.::

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Nice Podcast guys. I just want to say that FUNi's Season 3 DOES cover the entire Freeza Saga. Episode 107 is the Final Episode of the Freeza Saga.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Listening to the episode now, and watched the video beforehand. The YouTube comments anger me.

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:26 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Listening to the episode now, and watched the video beforehand. The YouTube comments anger me.
Oh yeah, I remember the glorious and friendly users at YouTube. Man-ga vs. Mahn-ga my butt. To me, it's alright if the word is pronounce either way, although I would prefer the correct pronounciation. (Mahn-ga, of course)

About the video: Like most people's answers, I think that showing Freeza vaporizing a little Namekian would somehow make him look weak like a bully.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin