Episode #0093 (09 September 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0093 (09 September 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:46 pm

Episode #0093 (download MP3)
61:22; 64 kbps, mono; 28.1 MB

Episode #0093! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff dive into volume eight of the "Manga Review of Awesomeness." It looks like Toriyama finally figured out where he wanted the story to go! Video game news, random music news, September's releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. Julian also checks in from Japan! Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the bizarro *ninety-three* episodes, now.

Manga! Review! Of! Awesomeness! And lots of other stuff. Too tired to write additional notes on the episode :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Still listening in...

One question: At the end of the Manga Review, did Mike say "The end of the Black Ribbon Army" just to make fun of Black or did Black actually renamed the army?

Oh, and thanks for doing this monthly because I've never seen or read the early Dragon Ball stories.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:59 pm

kvon wrote:Still listening in...

One question: At the end of the Manga Review, did Mike say "The end of the Black Ribbon Army" just to make fun of Black or did Black actually renamed the army?

Oh, and thanks for doing this monthly because I've never seen or read the early Dragon Ball stories.
In the English manga and dub (though I haven't watched the eps in years) it still remains the "Red Ribbon Army". He just declares himself "Commander Black". In he 10th Anniversary movie he renames it the "Black Ribbon Army" and goes insane.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:01 am

Yay! Podcast!

Oh, looking at the ending theme page and it has [ Meri's Top 5 Lists ] greyed out, and [ Ending Songs ] as a link, when it should be the other way around.

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:33 am

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!

I CAUGHT THE BECK REF!!!
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:44 am

Oddly enough if you look at the Season 3 Boxset on Amazon it's listed as a 1996 release.

I dunno if you already touched base on that though, I'm still downloading.

And it has the description of the first boxset, and spells Goku like Gokuu...

And after looking at Target stuff I saw that they have a DS Lite Travel Case that comes with Super Sonic Warriors 2.

Also, about the manga. When Goku is leaping from tower to tower is a scene from the Sagas opening, which I thought was neat.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:37 pm

Awesome manga review of umm... awesome-ness (ugh, redundant).

To explain why Target's got the Koro-chan Pack, I'm pretty sure it's because their online store gets their stuff from amazon.com and like amazon, they occasionally get some imports listed on the site. So while the CD is listed on Target's site, don't expect 'em to be in stores like how Frys does with their import DS games. And on a side-note, what's the history behind the whole "Tar-zhay" thing? I've heard it for a while, but never knew where it came from.

Also, while I think Mike and Meri's comments on the manga are legit, I find Jeff's comments the most interesting, since, as mentioned, he notices some stuff that long time fans would probably overlook, like the whole wishing back from the dead thing.

And might I suggest that for later episodes, you guys mention to Jeff some of the filler put in the corresponding anime episodes. I'm saying this not for you guys to talk about people staring and screaming, but because I specifically remember a bit of filler during the Tao Pai Pai episodes that I actually thought was canon-- when Tao climbs up Karin Tower and makes Karin give him the holy water and then goes back down via an "evil" Kintoun. It's probably one of the more enjoyable (but not completely unrelated to the current plot) filler in the series.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Oh no. I didn't buy the 8th Viz volume in time to listen to the review. Oh well, it's not like I don't already know the story.

I think I saw that episode of Pokemon that you were talking about, Mike. When you referenced it, I knew it sounded familiar. It's was kinda of weird since I havn't seen an episode of Pokemon in years and the one I decide to watch is the same one you referenced.

Anyways, thanks for the great episode. I hope you got a good nights sleep after uploading it so late.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Drabaz wrote:I think I saw that episode of Pokemon that you were talking about, Mike. When you referenced it, I knew it sounded familiar. It's was kinda of weird since I havn't seen an episode of Pokemon in years and the one I decide to watch is the same one you referenced.
It was "Bye Bye, Butterfree," one of the most famous episodes from the first season. Still tears me up.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Cool stuff, this was the first Dragonball manga volume I bought myself. I had a general idea of the Red Ribbon arc by that time, and I knew who Tao was through the (incorrect) flashback conversation during the Android arc. I think Colonel Violet got more screentime in the anime, where she got to actually DO something (she also reigned over a swamp-like region...yeah), and General Copper...totally uneccasary, I think.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:34 pm

Kirbopher wrote:I think Colonel Violet got more screentime in the anime, where she got to actually DO something (she also reigned over a swamp-like region...yeah)
She also got some screentime in the 10th Anniversary DB movie. Coincidently, she's driving an airplane and Goku does the face-to-glass thing there too!
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Since the Ending song for the episode was "You're the Hero," I figured this'd be the best time to bring up this weird little thought. Does anyone else think that the beginning line of the song sounds like "ass-kicking you!"?

Just something I always thought of when listening to that song.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Nice review. It was the Red Ribbon arc when I first started reading the manga via the monthly comics then caught up with the GNs before them when they came out. Also reminded me of the corny, yet funny exchange between Bora and Tao Pie Pie when they met in the dub:

Bora: You almost hit us!

Tao Pie Pie: Of course. I'm a hit man.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:43 pm

I feel kind of silly plugging it, but they have several copies of that issue of Shounen Jump over at the B&N on Route 130 in Hamilton.

I haven't bought it because I've developed some problems with Viz recently, but yeah.

I really enjoy the Manga Reviews; makes me want to break out my copies and look through 'um. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:37 am

Fantastic episode, once again the talk of cons makes me hate the fact I'm stuck in England. I also checked out Lo Fidelity and loved it.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 am

Aw, Meri doesn't like the look of the Season 3 Screencaps? :cry:

They're a lot better than Season 1 & 2.

Anyway, great review guys.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Excelent job on the podcast folks. I enjoyed listening to everybody's opinions on the Dragonball manga. The thing that intrigues me is the new Spanish DVDs on zonadvd.com, which is odd. Buenas suerte with the conventions Mike and Meri. We all (me too) want to hear about EVERYTHING you guys do.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:44 pm

Bardock the Mexican wrote:Excelent job on the podcast folks. I enjoyed listening to everybody's opinions on the Dragonball manga.
Seconded. I haven't read a lot of the early parts of the manga, and this is allowing me to learn a bit more about them. I think that by the time you guys get to "DragonBall Z," Viz will have started to release their Kanzenban-ish volumes, so I'll really be able to follow along then.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:43 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Since the Ending song for the episode was "You're the Hero," I figured this'd be the best time to bring up this weird little thought. Does anyone else think that the beginning line of the song sounds like "ass-kicking you!"?

Just something I always thought of when listening to that song.
It sounds funny now that you bring it up. I've always heard it as "Tasukete yo!" which I think means "HELP (ME)~!" to some effect. (Richard Hackard screams "TASUKETE~!" when he runs into the fanboy again at the end of This Is Otakudom.)

Good podcast all around. Tao Pai Pai rocks. I want to see somebody cosplay as that, complete with "KILL YOU~!" on the back. Any guy that goes around wearing "KILL YOU~!" on the back of their shirt wins three and a half Internets in my book. :)

Oh, and nice shoutout to my AWA Pro video from 2005 at the end, Mike... hee... Yeah, I know you weren't going in that direction, but I *did* make an AMV with that song after all...

I also like the now-weekly omake you're including at the end of each Podcast.... it's fun to hear a few of the bloopers and random stuff going on.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 pm

I think the volume you guys reviwed was the last volume I've read of the manga, so everything from here on out is going to be brand new to me. Maybe, since I'm in Japan now, I can start reading along with the Japanese version?

So...any thoughts on Commander Black actually being a black guy? While he's no Mr. Popo, it was a pretty tactless thing for Toriyama to do.

So all of you guys got started out on Dragon Ball through the Cartoon Network? I think I remember you guys saying that before, but I guess I had forgotten. I started with the Dragon Ball dub that aired in syndication back in 1996-ish, and I also remember being fooled by FUNimation's...less than conspicuous paint edits. Ah, youth.

Funny story...I remember seeing EGM magazines with ads for the Japanese Dragon Ball Z figures. One figure that stood out to me was Freeza because I thought he looked bad-ass. Mind you, this was final form Freeza. Well, when the dub got close to the Namek saga, I heard the name "Freeza" being brought up and got excited because I was finally going to see the character in action. Yet when they revealed him, the disappointment of seeing the cool, white and purple character portrayed as this big-headed hoverchair-bound grandma was immense. I couldn't believe it! It was only later that I found out Freeza would eventually transform into the form portrayed by the Japanese action figure.

So we all really are newbies at one point :D

Also, shame on you, Mike, for bringing up Pokemon again! Here's that Pikachu picture you were alluding to:

[center]Image[/center]
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022