Episode #0101 (04 November 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0101 (04 November 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Episode #0101 (download MP3)
41:56; 64 kbps, mono; 19.2 MB

Episode #0101! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss in detail the major Atari vs. FUNimation license fiasco. What exactly is going on, who is in the wrong, and what can we expect in the future? Video game news, figure news, November's releases, an e-mail about Goku's various gi kanji, and our daizenshuu give-away contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Last edited by VegettoEX on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Do you think there is some connection between Bandai announcing they are going to be making DragonBall toys and this thing about FUNimation VS Atari? I mean... Bandai does say "toys". Maybe to them video games fall under that toy catagory.
Bandai America Incorporated today announced that it is returning to FUNimation Entertainment's Dragon Ball Z franchise as the North American master toy licensee
...Maybe Iam just reading to much into it.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:11 am

I think you meant to say Tenkaichi 3 Goes Gold, not Goes Goes.

Anyways, I've been looking forward to this episode.
Though, it's plainly obvious that Atari plans on shipping BT3 next week regardless of what FUNimation says.

It's not as easy as FUNimation saying "Hey, you're done." I'm sure Atari's got a team of lawyers that will be able to drag this whole fiasco out for at least a few months.... Just enough time to let BT3 rake in the dough.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:58 am

I'm thinking that since the R2 Singles are coming to a close, the games have been coming out every year for roughly seven years, that the entire DragonBall market/anything will be taking a break, or a nap.

And the way I see it, it would probably be best for the fandom and for business if it did so. We've had so much stuff coming at us from every which way for so long I think the fandom has gotten exhausted.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:23 am

Darn, if I didn't have to go to work I would listen to this right now. Guess I will have to wait till tonight. Oh, hey Mike, this came up in the music section and I'm not sure if you saw it, but I had an idea/suggestion for a future podcast. I was hoping for an episode where you guys would take a deeper look at the artists who sing the DB/Z songs. Here's where it originated.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah, sounds like a scandal broke out or something between the two companies. Who knows, but I agree with Meri's comment. My good friend is a DBZ fan as well, but he also wants the franchise to go away for a while and then come back to he can like it again.

Oh, and a friend of mine wanted to go to your panel at MangaNEXT, but he wasn't able to make it. He mentioned he was looking forward to it yesterday and I was telling him a bit about it.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Re: Episode #0101 (04 November 2007)

Post by Gaiash » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We continue onwards into the next one hundred episodes. Today's mission of Mike not talking so much? Failed.
Nice Excel Saga reference. I'm going to listen to the episode tonight.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Eh, as mentioned in the podcast, the episode began sounding more like a general video game podcast than a Dragon Ball podcast, so that kinda turned me off. Nonetheless, I listened through the entire episode 'cuz I'm a loyal listener like that. And I guess the longer than normal bloopers at the end kinda made up for me not really digging the episode.
DaemonCorps in the [url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=6672]episode 98[/url] thread wrote:Awesome manga review (of awesomeness). And from the sounds of things, it sounds like Jeff is moving next door?
Who called it?

So yeah, here's to hoping that this whole FUNi vs. Atari nonsense gets settled for those awaiting the latest DBZ game to be released in the US.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 pm

Gaiash wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:We continue onwards into the next one hundred episodes. Today's mission of Mike not talking so much? Failed.
And I fucking hated that show. And I fucking hate it when people make that same joke that I just made.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:43 pm

I called GameStop. They said that they ARE getting it because they got the preorder DVD's in.

you hated Excel Saga? wow.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And I fucking hated that show.
THANK YOU. Finally, someone else.

Personally, I was more into the ES manga.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gaiash wrote:
And I fucking hated that show. And I fucking hate it when people make that same joke that I just made.
As someone else who isn't feeling too well, your words of rage delight me.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 am

VegettoEX wrote:And I fucking hated that show. And I fucking hate it when people make that same joke that I just made.
Eh, it had it's moments. Namely Pedro and his afro powers (and tiny, tiny Japanese flags being waved).

-Corey

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:43 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:And the way I see it, it would probably be best for the fandom and for business if it did so. We've had so much stuff coming at us from every which way for so long I think the fandom has gotten exhausted.

You don't have to tell me twice. :P
14 years later

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:34 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:ou don't have to tell me twice. :P
Pfft :P

http://www.daizex.com/misc_stuff/mike_db_games.shtml

(Just noticed I have the US cover art for the JP Harukanaru...; need to fix that)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

(Just noticed I have the US cover art for the JP Harukanaru...; need to fix that)
Now there's a neat little page on the site that I had absolutely NO IDEA it even existed, much less any idea how to navigate to.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 pm

You can't navigate to it :P. I just kinda have it up there.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:You can't navigate to it :P. I just kinda have it up there.
Just like the Character Guide... what little Iv'e seen is awesome but how you intend to cover everyone is beyond me...
VegettoEX wrote:

You're...you're a monster! :shock: I should not be surprised though... :P

Just finished listening the the podcast. Awesome stuff! 8) I had to listen again though to realize it was indeed Julian introducing the episode and not Mike (our usual host). :lol:

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:27 pm

I stand pwned. ^^;
14 years later

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

Makes me wonder how much money you've put into your whole Dragon ball collection. :P