Episode #0107 (16 December 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0107 (16 December 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Episode #0107 (download MP3)
64:41; 64 kbps, mono; 29.6 MB

Episode #0107! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss the mainy voices of Kame-Sen'nin! After Kouhei Miyauchi passed away in 1995, Hiroshi Masuoka took over as the official replacement. Why did Masahara Satou and Kinya Aikawa also randomly step in to play the character, though? More live action movie and Atari news than you can shake a stick at, a trip around the world for even more news, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the fantascarino *one-hundred-seven* episodes, now.

We took it back to a character-specific discussion this week, again taking a look at a change of voices over time. This was (unfortunately) not due to any kind of transformation, but rather the death of the original seiyuu. Who are we talking about...?!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:45 pm

YAY! I am downloading it now, by the way did they show covers for the DBGT box set?

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:50 pm

Kouhei Miyauci: Sailormoon, ep2, fortune teller.

Priceless info :wink:

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:01 pm

"Listen to that ass-kicker!" :D

I've decided I prefer either English Baba to the Japanese voices. :( (Umm... that being the japanese voices for Baba. *grumbles about IE*)

Hee, so saw that "Hello EveryBody!" coming, but it was still worth it. :D

Style: I think this episode blended serious and fun (never mind that they're basically the same thing) well enough that it should be cited as an example of your amazing balancing powers. And... umm... I had something else but lost it. And I keep adding letters that don'tbelong in my words... so... thanks for bringing us something resembling joy!
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:41 pm

yay! Let the best part of my Sunday begin!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:25 pm

Ah, nothing better than a podcast to listen to while playing some Wii Sports and avoiding studying for finals.

Interesting topic. I never knew there were all these VAs doing the same character. Though I guess that makes sense considering how long the series is.

I also agree wholeheartedly on Meri's last two choices for the Top Five list. Is there at least some kind of fan-given name for those characters, like what happened with "Ultra Saiyajin" and "Majin Vegeta"?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:03 pm

Wikipedia claims the fan name of Bulma's mother is "Bunny". Never heard about the Anouncer getting a fanName.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:47 pm

Mike, you do know that you can play Blu-Ray discs on a Playstation 3?
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:50 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:Mike, you do know that you can play Blu-Ray discs on a Playstation 3?
Which I don't own :). I'm a Wii60 guy (with a gigantic back-catalogue, as well).

But yes, I'm not one of the 60% of PS3 owners (what was that statistic...?) that don't know it's a high-definition machine capable of playing Blu-Ray.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:07 am

caejones wrote:Wikipedia claims the fan name of Bulma's mother is "Bunny". Never heard about the Anouncer getting a fanName.
Never heard that one. Closest to one I've heard was Funimation calling her Mrs. Briefs once or twice.
I've decided I prefer either English Baba to the Japanese voices. (Umm... that being the japanese voices for Baba. *grumbles about IE*)
Well at least on the Funimation side, I guess they did get an old woman for it, since Mayumi Tanaka would've been in her 30s at the time I think.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:44 am

As for why Chichi's voice actress was changed, I think I remember hearing a long time ago that the original actress left when she had a baby. Of course, I don't remember the source, so who knows whether that's true or not.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:26 am

Super Sonic wrote:
caejones wrote:Wikipedia claims the fan name of Bulma's mother is "Bunny". Never heard about the Anouncer getting a fanName.
Never heard that one. Closest to one I've heard was Funimation calling her Mrs. Briefs once or twice.
Speaking of Bulma's mom, in Dragon Ball Forever, Toriyama says that her name, had he named her, could have been a play on "panties." I think panties is panti (not sure if it's a long "i" sound), and he would have named her "panchi. I think.

There was a joke like this in Dragon Ball where Kame-Sennin told Goku to ask that mermaid what color her panties were, and when she later punched him, he's like, "oh, you meant punch!" or something like that.
The joke only works in Japanese, of course.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 am

VegettoEX wrote:
John Pannozzi wrote:Mike, you do know that you can play Blu-Ray discs on a Playstation 3?
Which I don't own :). I'm a Wii60 guy (with a gigantic back-catalogue, as well).

But yes, I'm not one of the 60% of PS3 owners (what was that statistic...?) that don't know it's a high-definition machine capable of playing Blu-Ray.
I have a part time job as a mobile phone seller and although there are sometimes customers who buy phones for like 700 euro's and don't even know that they have Navigation system on it makes me think deeply untill someone pokes me to wake up and I fall back to mother earth with my mind.
And although it shouldn't surprise me that 60 % doesn't know they have a Blu-Ray player on their PS3.....it does surprise me !

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:44 am

VegettoEX wrote: I'm a Wii60 guy (with a gigantic back-catalogue, as well).
Ah, yes. I too am a Wii60 man. But this is mostly because of the shallow funds that my gaming has been receiving as of late. Oh well. Back on topic. I really enjoyed the podcast and never even noticed that Muten Roshi had more than one seiyuu. Thoroughly interesting. Thanks again.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 am

What a great podcast!

I noticed the difference in Muten Roshi's seiyuu because I watched Dragonball and Dragonball GT so close together, but I had no idea he had so many.

And I didn't even notice the change in Chi Chi.. :oops:

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:38 am

Julian: "Oh, THAT guy"

roflcopters

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:50 am

I'm dissapointed, I was expecting Mike's dub Roshi voice in this episode. :(

Oh well, great episode. It was interesting to hear all the different voices characters had.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

evangelionunit1

Post by evangelionunit1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:28 pm

yea, I was disappointed too because he didn't do the dub voice. I guess I'm going to have to listen to the Christmas 2005 episode to hear that. :x

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:15 am

I dont know about you Mike, but did you play the Wii version? Serious improvement. Easier button control and was a lot more fun to mimic a Kamehameha then having to use the PS2 controller. Maybe thats just ONE of the differences, but it sure was more fun than the other 2.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"