Episode #0111 (13 January 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0111 (13 January 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Episode #0111 (download MP3)
88:10; 64 kbps, mono; 40.3 MB

Episode #0111! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff tackle Volume 12 in our "Manga Review of Awesomness" for the month. The 22nd Tenka-ichi Budokai comes to an end, and we have our first true "super-villain" in Piccolo-Daimao. Stories galore, January's releases, your e-mails, and our contest round out the episode. Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 pm

Wow, as far as MRA's go, this one was really well done. Bravo Jeff on really getting into the work and the manga.

P.S. Mike, when is your birthday, ya know...for your gift that we ALL SHOULD PITCH IN 5 Dollars towards. Come on people, he's getting married.

I love it when you read my crazy emails!!
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:09 am

Another great episode! Can you please post up some of the pictures that you took to prove that you made the video. Anyway, it was good to have another Manga Review of Awesomeness. Volume 12 rules. :wink:

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:21 am

Just so you know, when you link to the top 5 volume 12 manga panels, the page says volume 11.

Anywho, 12 was a good volume. I think I have some of those chapters in the magazine-sized things that used to be released before the volumes. Does Viz still do that?
- Life is a game, play it!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:43 am

For the kanzenban, the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai ends in vol.9, with the volume ending with them discovering Kuririn's death. Then the Piccolo Daimaou arc proper starts in vol.10. I think it does work a lot better that way; it paces the story out more.

Now that the Manga Review of Awesomeness is entering what is probably my favorite story arc in all of Dragon Ball, I'll be really interested to see what you guys have to say. So far my only pet peeve with the MRA is when you...let your knowledge of what is going to happen later affect your views on the current volume to much (not quite sure how to phrase that). Basically, treating the Dragon Ball-era as a prequel for the Z-era.

For instance, in this episode Meri said that Piccolo and his henchmen don't seem so important knowing the enemies that show up later ("they're just peanuts", or something like that), but that seems completely backwards to me. I've always looked at later villians like, say, Nappa, the Ginyu Force, or even Vegeta, and counted it against them that while they're supposed to be so much more powerful and just generally worse than Piccolo Daimaou was, they're don't really seem like it. I think around the time Raditz shows up is when Toriyama more or less exhausted his bag of tricks in how to build up a villian, both in terms of thier power and in their evilness.

I mean, if you were to show people who knew nothing about Dragon Ball some manga pages of Goku fighting Yamcha, Taopaipai, and Piccolo Daimaou and asked them to sort those oppenants based on power/skill/dangerouness, I think they'ed be able to do it. Whereas if you asked them to do the same thing with Vegeta, Freeza, and Cell, I don't think they'd be able to. There's a progression in skills and scale between the Yamcha/Taopaipai/Piccolo fights that you dont see between Vegeta/Freeza/Cell.

I mean, look at ki:when Goku fights Yamcha, both of them use purely physical attacks, while with Taopaipai they both have a single ki attack that they rely on, while Piccolo uses a wide variety of ki attacks and can blow up cities. However, by the time Goku fights Vegeta, they can both use as much ki attacks as they want and go blow up the planet easily. By the time Goku fights Freeza, it's the exact same situation. The scale hasn't increased at all, and it never really does for the rest of the series. I think you get a similiar type of stagnation with other elements of the story, but this post is probably getting too long...

Anyway, it seems like many fans have their perspective on the series stuck in whichever part of the series they first got into the show or are just the most familiar with. They see that part of the series as normal; everything before it is just leading up to it, and everything after that is taking the series away from it's "true" nature. So as one offshoot of this, they see the characters before they're preferred point in the series as being weak and all the characters afterward as being overpowered.

I'm not really sure how I got off on all that, but I did enjoy the podcast.

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:24 am

long post is long
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:40 am

DaftBrian wrote:long post is long
Short post is short?

Anyway, you should see it when I really feel like rambling. Or rather, you shouldn't. You'd be frightened.

But I did remember something I would like to see in future Manga Reviews of Awesomeness: significant disagreement. I don't mean violent or angry disagreement; that'd be stupid. But just two or more of the reviewers having substantially different opinions about a volume. It seems like so far everyone has had pretty much the same sort of overall opinion on each volume: you all agreed that vol.3 and 11 were your favorites, you all thought the Red Ribbon arc was on the whole not the greatest, etc. I think it might make for a change of pace and an interesting discussion to have less of a consensus. Of course, that’s not exactly something you can arrange.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:07 am

Your enthusiasm in these reviews makes me want to go back and re-read the manga so badly. XD

Also the entire thing with the foul-tasting drinks was hilarious. :3

I still fear for the DB movie; the Piccolo arc is one of my favorites.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 am

the original ero-sennin wrote:Can you please post up some of the pictures that you took to prove that you made the video.
http://www.daizex.com/misc_stuff/deathnotevid.jpg
EvilGamerX wrote:Just so you know, when you link to the top 5 volume 12 manga panels, the page says volume 11.
Thanks. Fixed. As you all know, it's inherently impossible for me to make a podcast update without getting a number wrong somewhere. That's what I get for running everything off of 1998 web technology. Then again, it's a hell of a lot more secure... :P
Herms wrote:For the kanzenban, the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai ends in vol.9, with the volume ending with them discovering Kuririn's death. Then the Piccolo Daimaou arc proper starts in vol.10. I think it does work a lot better that way; it paces the story out more.
w00t... I got more correct as I kept rambling!
Herms wrote:So far my only pet peeve with the MRA is when you...let your knowledge of what is going to happen later affect your views on the current volume to much (not quite sure how to phrase that). Basically, treating the Dragon Ball-era as a prequel for the Z-era.
Understood. I don't know how much we can change that outlook, though. Like I always mention time and time again, as opposed to the Japanese fanbase, we American fans were primarily introduced to the Z-era of the series and that was our "introduction" to the show. Even for people like Meri who saw the original 1995 DB dub before DBZ, it was cut so short that it was almost irrelevant. I try to take a step back and look at it from grander views whenever I can, but it doesn't always work.
Herms wrote:I think it might make for a change of pace and an interesting discussion to have less of a consensus. Of course, that’s not exactly something you can arrange.
I'm hoping for the same thing as time goes on, but like you mentioned, it's not really something that can be arranged. I'm trying to think of things down the road where our opinions might differ a bit, but I have to be careful not to let any of the other folks know for fear that it might inadvertently shift those views when it otherwise might not have. If that makes sense. Heh.

Maybe that's just a testament to Toriyama's style thus far? The good is all good and we all like it, and the not-so-good is also similarly agreed on?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:03 am

Whoa, holy crap...the word-game that Gohan was playing, I remember hearing it being translated actually. Inuyasha, there's a character who is randomly playing the game by himself one day, and this was left in the dub and translated the closest way possible. It totally flew over my head at the time, but now I get it. Thanks for that!

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:38 am

Best line of the episode:

Mike: ... because they thought it was going to end soon, ha ha ha, roffles.

I'd put the ASCII roflcopter here but I don't know if it's against the forum rules or not. :x

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:17 am

Ah, I always love the "stuff" section. As mentioned in the episode, it gets me in a really good mood once you guys reach the topic. The whole Death Note AMV story was hilarious :lol:.

Coming from a fan who got into the series during the Saiyaman arc, I'm gonna say that by the time I got to volume twelve of the manga, I felt a lot more comfortable, since it looked a lot more like stuff I was used to seeing. Also, the fact that all these secondary characters are starting to be offed by Tambourine shows just how long the series has gone. I mean, it's reached the point where Toriyama's able to actually make the readers feel something even for those lowly secondary guys.

I especially like how you guys brought in the little comparison to the anime scene. It's always fun looking at both things and comparing them. I remember when first watching the anime, I was completely shocked at the li'l baldie's death. And the whole "fish-eye" blue scale shot of Goku looking at the rest of the guys at the restaurant just made the scene that much more creepy.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:26 am

Interestingly enough, when you mentioned about Krillin's death probably belonging at the end of a volume, it reminded me of how when they were released in monthly comics, that was the last chapter of that particular comic.