Episode #0113 (27 January 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0113 (27 January 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am

Episode #0113 (download MP3)
40:10; 64 kbps, mono; 18.3 MB

Episode #0113! VegettoEX and Meri compare "TRUNKS: THE STORY" (manga) to the second DBZ TV special. As opposed to the first TV special, the manga came first this time. How do the two differ? Is one any better than the other? Some fun with an e-mail regarding randomness and expanded character backgrounds, combined with all-around awesomeness rounds out the episode. Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:57 am

About to download. :3

I haven't listened yet, but you know, I'm glad this DBO is only available in Japan/Korea, because if it were available here, you would never get me off of it. >_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

yamicell2501

Post by yamicell2501 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:28 am

Funny podcast. lol Super Warriors on Crack.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of fans (including me) are more biased towards the Trunks TV special. It's kind of special to me, because it was my best friend's favorite DBZ thing to watch before he died.

It's kind of weird for me, because there are times when a manga series will do something (fairly ahead of its anime in filler), and the anime will do something that makes you go "what the heck?" when they reach that point. At least here, they "improved" the original with the more dramatic twists.

Though, its funny that the anime reverts back to the manga version when Trunks tells his story to Cell.
Allow me to show you the terror of perfection. - Perfect Cell (DBZ: Sparking Meteor)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:46 am

Hey, my first mention in the podcast! (by name at least; when Arale was announced for Sparking! Meteor you mentioned the Arale Dragon Universe thingy I wrote way back when)

Anyway, at the time I did those daizenshuu write-ups I couldn’t figure out what, if anything, “Planet Brenchi” was a pun on, but I finally did not too long ago: just as Sauzer gets his name from Thousand Island dressing, his home planet is named for French dressing. In katakana ‘French’ is written as フレンチ (=furenchi); add a dakuten and you get ブレンチ (=burenchi), the name of the planet. So I guess the proper way to romanize the name would be as ‘Planet Brench’.

As for the main topic, I’m not sure if I agree or disagree with you. While I think I do prefer how the story is told in the TV special, I don’t have much problem with how the manga has Trunks as a Super Saiyan from the beginning. You said that this took away the point of the story, but since the one-shot came before the TV special I think it’s more logical to assume that Toriyama simply had a different point in mind for the story. Perhaps he purposely avoided using the “great tragedy makes character transform” angle because he had already used it in the main series? Although ultimately I do agree that without the element the story loses most of it’s drama. But maybe it wasn’t supposed to be a dramatic story as much as a simple explanation of Trunks’ origin? I don’t know.

It also bugs the hell out of me that the kanzenban put the Trunks one-shot in the last volume. I mean, you’ve got the conclusion of the entire series, with the (semi) new ending that Toriyama drew and “THE END” in big giant letters and everything, and that after that they stick in what is essentially a prequel to events that were wrapped up volumes ago. It just seems rather off, but then I’m picky that way. I prefer how they did it in the tankoubon, just sticking it in one of the Cell Games volumes.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:52 am

Nice podcast. Weird where that kanzeban put the Trunks chapter. Jump magazine put it in the Sept. 2004 issue after DBZ chpt. 200.

Also is it me, or did one of those Pilaf voices sound like Mr. Schemmel's Roto voice from YYH. (For y'all not familiar with YYH, Roto is an evil jerk voiced by Mr. Schemmel who dies rather violently and deserves it).

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:55 am

I've always found it funny how people normally put down filler and what-not and always praise the Manga. Yet in the case of the Trunks special...It's almost to the point where people want to deny it's existence in the Manga. Simply because of the lack of real emotion.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Cool podcast. Enjoyed what you thought about the TV Special/Manga differences.

Although I liked the TV Special, I have to say that the Manga version makes more sense. The extinction of the senzu would give a better reason to why Gohan lost his arm and stuff. I mean, in the TV special, it shows Gohan being really emotional towards Trunks by giving him the last one, but really...Trunks didn't seem really THAT injured. A few days of bed rest would have had Trunks up and running again. If Gohan just ate the senzu bean, he would have had both of his arms, a nicely non-scarred face, and the ability to bring Trunks back to Capsule Corp.

Also, the origin of Trunks' Super Saiyan form, although boring, is much more accurate towards how Present Goten and Trunks become Super Saiyans. Both Present Trunks and Future Trunks are naturally able to transform, instead of how the TV special shows that Future Trunks needed a trigger to make him transform, while Present Trunks can transform without a trigger.

Well thats my two cents.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Why don't you just make Julian do the ABCs again? Crack that whip, Mike!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:34 pm

If you're still looking for those GT R2 covers, it looks like kanzentai's got 'em on their home page. Also, shouldn't you give a link to the latest "From the Past Friday" in your opening post?

Yay a manga/anime comparison! When I have the time to watch any anime, I always compare it to the manga just to see if anything major was changed and if so was it a good change or not.

I'm pretty much with you guys about the whole Trunks Anime Special vs. manga thing. While the manga sets up a basic story line, the anime fleshes that story line out, giving it the drama that you'd expect from a dystopia society. Though I do agree with Saiyan in that it makes sense for Trunks to not need any trigger to go Super Saiyajin. The pacing in the manga also seems all over the place. I mean, when you jump from Trunks about to fight the Androids to him in the hospital, it seems more comedic than sad. You get the feeling that Toriyama really didn't want to deal with something as "heavy" as Trunks' "checkered past" but he knew that he needed at least some kind of explanation for him.

... and yeah, I think a good number of fans have been annoyed by Trunks' random change from base level to SSJ in the special.

Holy crap, not only was I mentioned during the news section, but then you go ahead and answer my e-mail! I guess after 113 episodes, it had to have happened eventually. While I was hoping to have Jeff read my e-mail in his hot man voice, Meri did a good job, too :D. I already knew about Herms' daizenshuu translation about Sauzer, but I liked your little theory about him being some kind of fan favorite in Japan. And while stuff like doujinshi is a good way to check out what fans are doing to flesh out minor characters, I'd still like it if something more official would be made. Like what about Tenshinhan and whether he's an alien or not? Or more of an explanation for the anthropomorphic creatures and their eventual extinction? The list goes on...

Can we expect more "Make a Connection" from you guys or was this a one time thing? If you are gonna do it in the future, I suggest that each person have some kind of connection to make to another person just so the segment isn't so short. I'd definitely enjoy a "Make a Connection" when Andrew or Jeff make another appearance. As for a possible segment for Julian, you could always have some kind of segment where he explains any Japanese stuff in the series that a typical US fan wouldn't get, like the whole "sneezing when someone talks about you" deal.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Hearing the old 1995 dub of Pilaf brought back so many memories. Especially the background music that FUNimation created for that (and other) scene(s).

Anyways...they put the Trunks backstory in the last kanzenban? That's certainly...odd. And since I'm currently keeping up with the Manga Review of Awesomeness by reading the kanzenban version, it's going to be a looooooooooooooong time before I buy the volume that has that story.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:06 pm

It was actually in the back of my head that perhaps going along with Toriyama's line of thinking that the half-Saiya-jin characters would have less of a necessary "trigger" to do the deed; like I mentioned with Gohan in our timeline, it was more of a self-imposed trigger than an external one. I guess I could have drawn the connection a little further, but that's what you all are for :).

And yeah, it's totally messed up that "TRUNKS: THE STORY" is not only in the last kanzenban, but right after the (new) ending. It completely throws you off. That Trunks is completely irrelevant and almost forgotten (nevermind replaced) by the time you're at the end of the series. It obviously should have been where it originally was...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 am

Mike, if we go to your wedding, what side do we sit on?
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:15 pm

This episode cracks me up :P

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Later thoughts after listening a billion times more:

- I noticed you guys didn't really go into that much detail about the first couple minutes or so of the special when it shows the deaths of the Z Fighters by the Androids. With all the times you guys have mentioned how Kuririn always gets the low end of the stick for movies, I thought you guys would bring up how he died by getting his eyes "lasered" off.

- Mike's whole rant ("Do you like these flowers?") was just awesome :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:00 pm

This is sort of belated, but I did think of a new thing that Julian could do: have him go through the alphabet again, only this time make it the Japanese alphabet. You know, a-i-u-e-o, ka-ki-ku-ke-ko, etc. This way you wouldn't run into "What the hell starts with X is Dragon Ball?"-type problems, and it would give him an oppurtunity to explain things about the Japanese writing system and the way the names of characters and objects from the series are written in Japanese. Not to mention that you could keep doing the segment for a longer time than the last one.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Herms wrote:This is sort of belated, but I did think of a new thing that Julian could do: have him go through the alphabet again, only this time make it the Japanese alphabet. You know, a-i-u-e-o, ka-ki-ku-ke-ko, etc. This way you wouldn't run into "What the hell starts with X is Dragon Ball?"-type problems, and it would give him an oppurtunity to explain things about the Japanese writing system and the way the names of characters and objects from the series are written in Japanese. Not to mention that you could keep doing the segment for a longer time than the last one.
Fuck yes.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:12 am

Herms wrote:This is sort of belated, but I did think of a new thing that Julian could do: have him go through the alphabet again, only this time make it the Japanese alphabet. You know, a-i-u-e-o, ka-ki-ku-ke-ko, etc. This way you wouldn't run into "What the hell starts with X is Dragon Ball?"-type problems, and it would give him an oppurtunity to explain things about the Japanese writing system and the way the names of characters and objects from the series are written in Japanese. Not to mention that you could keep doing the segment for a longer time than the last one.
Agreed!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co