Episode #0115 (10 February 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Big O 2, as far as I understand, simply would not have been made had it not been for the American market (someone else with more authority on that series, please chime in if necessary). The three Budokai games came out in the US long before their Japanese releases. Other series have joint input and finances thrown at it from the beginning from American (and other) licensors. To once again cross-segment with video games, gaming companies toss money at anime productions with the expectations that video games can be sold to a worldwide market.

The market is far more global than it was in the day of VHS fansubs, and no-one's more aware of that than those looking to export their goods (read: Japan and anime).
Yep. Cartoon Network actually co-produced and helped sponsor the second half of Big O with Sunrise and Bandai. I think there have been a few other cases of North American licensors directly funding the production in Japan, but I can't remember any specifically.

From what I understand, though, a lot of shows produced in Japan nowadays rely heavily on selling international licenses to make a real profit.
-Rachel

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:34 am

desirecampbell wrote:If someone is downloading fansubs and never buying the merchandise, they've no right to complain that the NA market is crumbling. Of course, they've no reason to either.
Of course, you realize that's not going to stop anyone from putting 100% of the blame on the anime companies anyway. Because...y'know...it's never the fans' fault. Ever.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:09 am

desirecampbell wrote:The thing is, it's not as cut and dry as it's made out to be. Sure, you (general 'you') feel great saying "I like the series, so I buy it when it comes out" - but what if... the releases are dub-only? Or the releases cost a million dollars?
You're aware that dub-only ones are usually children's shows tht don't have a sizable older fandom thus no reason to put a Japanese version on it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:54 am

Super Sonic wrote:You're aware that dub-only ones are usually children's shows tht don't have a sizable older fandom thus no reason to put a Japanese version on it.
You mean just like DragonBall?

Let's face it, Yu-Gi-Oh! and DragonBall are for the exact same audience...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Was referring more to shows like Kirby, Superbook, and Beyblade, that are marketed pretty much soley to the elementary school crowd.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Well, obviously. If someone is downloading fansubs and never buying the merchandise, they've no right to complain that the NA market is crumbling.
See, that's what I've enjoyed about your comments thus far; you're not completely blind. Thanks for being here :).
I try my best :)

VegettoEX wrote:That's not entirely true, though. We're at a point where the American industry/market has a rather large influence on the "original" Japanese market. (We're seeing it in video games as well as anime, but that's an entirely different conversation :D).
I was completely unaware of that. I revise my statement about the NA market having "no effect", to having "marginal effect". I stand behind the rest of my statements, though.

Dogasu wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:If someone is downloading fansubs and never buying the merchandise, they've no right to complain that the NA market is crumbling. Of course, they've no reason to either.
Of course, you realize that's not going to stop anyone from putting 100% of the blame on the anime companies anyway. Because...y'know...it's never the fans' fault. Ever.
It can't be the fans' fault. The system doesn't work that way. Not in a 'the customer is always right'-way, but in that 'not buying something' is the default every company has assume. No company can create a product and then, when it fails to sell, blame the people who didn't buy it. It's just completely ridiculous to think that you can lay blame for a failing product on the consumer.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:46 am

desirecampbell wrote:It can't be the fans' fault. The system doesn't work that way.
That's absurd. If a company puts out a good, quality product with a reasonable amount of marketing and nobody buys it, then the company starts looking at why said product didn't sell. Sometimes, they'll conclude that it didn't sell because the show being sold is so niche or unappealing that it just wouldn't work. Other times, however, the only logical conclusion they can draw is that everyone already downloaded fansubs months ago and therefore don't see a need to buy the official DVD releases.

Unfortunately, the latter is becoming far too common. Companies have a responsibility to their consumers, yes. But if the anime industry completely bellies up, they won't be the only ones at fault.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:55 am

Dogasu wrote:That's absurd. If a company puts out a good, quality product with a reasonable amount of marketing and nobody buys it, then the company starts looking at why said product didn't sell. Sometimes, they'll conclude that it didn't sell because the show being sold is so niche or unappealing that it just wouldn't work. Other times, however, the only logical conclusion they can draw is that everyone already downloaded fansubs months ago and therefore don't see a need to buy the official DVD releases.
Uh huh. Still don't see where the failed business is anyone's fault but the business itself. You cannot blame people for your business failing simply because 'they didn't buy our stuff'.
Dogasu wrote:Unfortunately, the latter is becoming far too common. Companies have a responsibility to their consumers, yes. But if the anime industry completely bellies up, they won't be the only ones at fault.
Yes. Yes they will. There is an option to download high quality, quickly released anime. To have a successful business, you must take into account all your competitors. You cannot fault consumers for not buying your product. You can't. I just doesn't make sense.

"An industry" is failing. It's failing because noone is buying their product. Product isn't selling because it's not seen as a good enough value to consumers. Either the value perceived by the public is too low to accept, or there are other better-value options available.

Now, if we replace "an industry" with "North American anime distribution" you'll cry that it's the fans' fault. But I bet if we replace "an industry" with other things, you'll agree that it wasn't the consumers fault in these cases: "covered wagon constructor", "steam powered -anything- engineer", "Witch Doctor", "Some guy who tried to sell ice to Eskimos".

Businesses fail. Either because of incompetence, rival companies, or changing business platforms. The consumers cannot be blamed because the worst thing they can do is 'not buy the product', and that's always a fine decision.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 am

Dogasu wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:It can't be the fans' fault. The system doesn't work that way.
That's absurd. If a company puts out a good, quality product with a reasonable amount of marketing and nobody buys it, then the company starts looking at why said product didn't sell. Sometimes, they'll conclude that it didn't sell because the show being sold is so niche or unappealing that it just wouldn't work. Other times, however, the only logical conclusion they can draw is that everyone already downloaded fansubs months ago and therefore don't see a need to buy the official DVD releases.

Unfortunately, the latter is becoming far too common. Companies have a responsibility to their consumers, yes. But if the anime industry completely bellies up, they won't be the only ones at fault.
I don't think anyone's trying to claim that everything is 100% completely the industry's "fault", or anything is completely 100% the "fans'" fault; I think even desirecampbell recognizes the situation at hand, but perhaps isn't getting it across to you in the best way possible. Actually, maybe he is arguing that fans are completely not-at-fault; until those same fans start complaining about it. While that unfortunately leaves a situation of "one person ruining it for the group", it's still true... if one person doesn't want to buy something, they don't have to buy something, and that can be fine for them.

But you seem to keep ignoring that it's the industry's responsibility to make a profit if the industry wants to make a profit. The very fact that you're not understanding is that in our system, we don't owe anyone anything for something we don't want to buy. We're not talking a moral or ethical reasoning here; I don't legally owe 4Kidz $20 because I had a fansub of Pokemon movie 1. I absolutely do not. There's nothing you can peg on me for that, what-so-ever.

That's where it splits for some people, though. Personally, for that particular product, I liked the original so much that I felt I should at least pick up the domestic release, even if it wasn't what I really wanted. However, if I didn't make AMVs and thought I would never do anything with the footage, I probably wouldn't have picked up that domestic release; it would be irrelevant to me, because it was in no way, shape, or form the product I wanted.

Little 12-year-old fucktard down the street who downloads his Nahrutoo digisubs every week and is content with that and only that is *still* a potential consumer that the industry should market to. They need to figure out how to market, what to market, etc. If no-one buys what they're trying to sell, that is indeed their own "fault". You need to give some sort of incentive to purchase a product; no-one's ever obligated to purchase something.

In the early days of DVDs, that incentive was the fact that you had a sub & dub right on the DVD. Later on, it moved to any "extras" contained on the disc.

Now we're at a point where the HD fansubs are available a day later, and the SD DVDs are coming out 6-18 months later. It's not cutting it anymore; that incentive is flying out the window.

I totally understand where you're coming from Dogasu; we're from the same time period. I do think you're being a little idealistic, just like the domestic anime companies are (in general) being. Their heads are in the sand, and they're trying to product a quickly-diminishing business model that will never work in the future. It's their job to adapt to the market; it's not the market's job to adapt to the business model.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 am

re: everything Mike said. I'm bad at explaining things. :oops:

To clarify, though: fans are at fault only as much as people who bought cars instead of a horse and carriage. There are other options, they chose, not their 'fault'.

Also, if a fan has fansubs and never buys domestic releases, and then complains that the domestic industry is failing, their not 'at fault' per se - they're just stupid.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:I don't think anyone's trying to claim that everything is 100% completely the industry's "fault"
Actually, that seems to be pretty much what desirecampbell is saying.
But you seem to keep ignoring that it's the industry's responsibility to make a profit if the industry wants to make a profit. The very fact that you're not understanding is that in our system, we don't owe anyone anything for something we don't want to buy. We're not talking a moral or ethical reasoning here; I don't legally owe 4Kidz $20 because I had a fansub of Pokemon movie 1. I absolutely do not. There's nothing you can peg on me for that, what-so-ever.
And to quote myself from earlier:
Dogasu wrote:The great thing is that, nowadays, a good 90% of the DVDs on the market aren't dub-only, insanely expensive, or put exclusively on a format that nobody can play. Yeah, there's still that 10%...but it's only 10%, people.
Pokemon most certainly falls into that 10% of anime that get the shaft when it comes to domestic releases. In fact, the only reason I bought the domestic release was because I run a site that kind of requires me to have watched the English version of that movie...I certainly can't use it for screencap purposes or anything like that (thanks to it being cropped and all). But that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be supporting the other 90% of DVD releases that are actually competent.

I mean, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to be downloading Naruto fansubs, for example. The show was licensed years ago and is seeing steady box set releases with both an English and Japanese version. Don't know if it's a show you'd like? Check out a few episodes on Cartoon Network and judge for yourself. Yet people still download fansubs anyway because they can't wait a measely six months (or however long it is) to see what happens. People are using their own impatience and selfish desire for free anime as justifications to illegally download a show.

Everyone talks about the companies "adapting" and "changing their business models." The thing is...that's exactly what they're doing. I mean, you guys saw that FUNimation thing recently, right? They're trying to renogotiate the contracts they have with the Japanese companies to release their properties in ways that are more in line with the domestic animation industry. They're going to start offering subbed versions of anime up mere weeks after they've licensed it. It seems to me that they're doing everything they can on their end to fix the problem.

The thing is, domestic releases won't beat out fansubs because fansubbers don't have to go through all the legal red tape that the anime companies in the US have to go through. I'm sure if FUNimation wasn't worried about breaching contracts or jeapordizing relations with their business partners, they'd be releasing digisubs within hours of the Japanese broadcast right along with the fansubbers.
desirecampbell wrote:To clarify, though: fans are at fault only as much as people who bought cars instead of a horse and carriage. There are other options, they chose, not their 'fault'.
The problem with your analogy is that whether you're buying a car or a horse and carriage, your transaction is legal. The same can't be said for people who choose to download fansubs instead of buying the DVDs when they come out.

Honestly, I don't see this discussion really accomplishing a whole lot. None of you are going to be able to change my mind just like I'm not going to be able to change any of your minds. I think an agreement to disagree is in order.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:50 am

Dogasu, explain to us why you think that anyone has an obligation to buy domestic anime DVDs. That's what we're snagged on: fault lies in obligation, whoever is at fault is at fault because they didn't do what they we're required to do. How and why are anime fans obligated to buy domestic releases?

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:41 am

So I see you're ignoring my desire to end this conversation. Nice.

Anime companies put out products, and anime fans buy them. That's how the system has always worked.

But if either side starts slacking off and doesn't do their part, then the whole thing falls apart. If an anime company only puts out an edited dub-only release or releases a show long after it's run its course, then the fans won' t buy it and the companies only have themselves to blame. But! If the companies release a "good" product and nobody buys it, then the companies have done all they can and have no choice but to prematurely end the series. In those instances, the fans have killed the show.

If fans want the domestic anime industry to continue, then they have to start putting money into it instead of selfishly saying "gimme gimme gimme" without giving anything in return.

It's as simple as that.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:03 am

Dogasu wrote:But if either side starts slacking off and doesn't do their part, then the whole thing falls apart.
That's completely asinine. Deciding not to buy something isn't 'slacking off'.
Dogasu wrote:If an anime company only puts out an edited dub-only release or releases a show long after it's run its course, then the fans won' t buy it and the companies only have themselves to blame.
Okay, this makes some sense: 'fans decide product isn't good enough, business fails, not the fan's fault'.
Dogasu wrote: But! If the companies release a "good" product and nobody buys it, then the companies have done all they can and have no choice but to prematurely end the series. In those instances, the fans have killed the show.
Wait, what? So 'fans decide product isn't good enough, business fails, but now it is the fan's fault'?! This is where your argument contradicts itself.

We're saying the same thing, Dogasu - except that I acknowledge that different people will place different value on the different specifics of the release - while you are saying that 'any fan who doesn't buy DVDs that I think are good, are killing the industry'. You're unbelievably arrogant.

Dogasu wrote:If fans want the domestic anime industry to continue, then they have to start putting money into it instead of selfishly saying "gimme gimme gimme" without giving anything in return.
It's as simple as that.
Uh huh. And you've bought every single domestic release, of every anime - so long as it isn't "edited, dub only"? Even the one's you don't like? Oh? You mean there's more leeway in your argument than you're trying to put forth? Or are you just a hypocrite?

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 am

OK...I'm done with this discussion. You seem to want to drag this out into some multi-page epic that ultimately accomplishes nothing, but I don't really care to do that. You can reply with whatever name-calling you'd like, but at the end of the day, the premise that the fans are 100% faultless will never be accepted by me. There's no point arguing anymore.

You can look at the fact that I didn't individually address each of your points as me "throwing in the towel," but I really don't care. I'm tired of talking to brick walls here.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 am

I'm not calling you names, I'm asking you to clarify your position. As you've stated it now, you're clearly an arrogant hypocrite. I'm not trying to be mean, but your position is "this is my idea of a 'good release' and any fan who doesn't buy them is killing the industry." That position makes your opinion out to be better than everyone else's, and that is compounded by the fact that you're not following your commands either.

Is anything I've said here incorrect? Or am I correct in understanding your position as 'buy what I tell you to, you ungrateful little bastards'?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:35 am

Dogasu, I'm going to have to call shenanigans on you. You're getting overly defensive, when it appears to me as a reader that desirecampbell is simply asking you to clarify your statements.

Of course, this type of conversation inevitably will come to that, because it's such a highly controversial issue and everyone has such personal feelings about it... I just expect a little more from people on this forum. Let's all try and remember why we're here (to have fun), respect other people (everyone; not singling out anyone with that), etc.! Thanks!

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:01 pm

desirecampbell wrote:I'm not calling you names
desirecampbell, in the very next sentence wrote:you're clearly an arrogant hypocrite
Thanks for that :D
I'm not trying to be mean, but your position is "this is my idea of a 'good release' and any fan who doesn't buy them is killing the industry." That position makes your opinion out to be better than everyone else's, and that is compounded by the fact that you're not following your commands either.
Y'know, there's a reason I put the word good in quotation marks. It's because I recognize that the concept of a "good" anime release is extremely subjective and is something that's different for everyone. It would be incredibly arrogant of me to pose as some kind of "authoritative figure" on what counts as a good release and what doesn't, which is exactly why I don't do that.

Please re-read my posts more carefully and stop trying to put words in my mouth.
VegettoEX wrote:Dogasu, I'm going to have to call shenanigans on you. You're getting overly defensive, when it appears to me as a reader that desirecampbell is simply asking you to clarify your statements.
If I appear defensive, it's because I've got two members (one of whom is the owner of the site) ganging up on me, demanding explanations despite the fact that I've been providing them throughout this whole farce of a discussion.
I just expect a little more from people on this forum.
And honestly, I expected a lot more out of this forum as well.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:33 pm

I think we need to reiterate once again that this is a touchy subject for the American industry, the Japanese industry, and fans from all walks of life and ideology.

I'll admit that it would seem I'm not doing a good enough job moderating the conversation. On the flip-side, those actively involved in the conversation aren't doing a good enough job keeping their emotions in check. We all need to work together to create a coherent conversation.

No-one's "ganging up" on anyone else. Since we're at the point where only three people are involved in the conversation, and one person seems to have a dissenting opinion, it probably appears (and feels) that way, though.

Dogasu: Both myself and desirecampbell are saying that we're not understanding your thoughts. You may feel like you're explaining them, backing them up, etc... but it seems like we're still not understanding the "why" behind it all. Don't misunderstand; at least personally, I "get" the "what" portion of what you're saying. I'm still not reading or hearing the "why" portion, though. Any "why" that you've brought up seems to still be lacking full persuasion. Also, just because you may be met with childishness, don't respond with it. Additionally, posting to say you're dropping the conversation doesn't help you look any better, and it doesn't help your case. Imagine if you were on the other end, and how that kind of post would appear to you.

desirecampbell: You need to do a better job of not letting logic come across as complete arrogance. Not everyone's going to respond the same way. I'm not saying "sugar-coat" what you post... in fact, I don't really know what to say, but you probably can see which wheels are turning in my head to get certain ideas across. Know what I mean? Also, you need to watch that arrogance; don't let that childishness come out when you get frustrated. I've seen it time and time again with your conversations and arguments; you don't give enough time for people to respond to your claims and requests, and get eternally frustrated (with the appearance of complete self-conceit) when these aren't met.

Everyone Else: Please contribute. This is a discussion that's literally about shaping our fandom and its future.

I could very well be reading you all completely wrong, but that's part of my job. I do thank everyone for leaving their thoughts.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Everyone Else: Please contribute.
...I'm scared.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!