Episode #0116 (17 February 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0116 (17 February 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:02 am

Episode #0116 (download MP3)
42:53; 64 kbps, mono; 19.6 MB

Episode #0116! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss some of the stupid things they've done with the DB characters and their names back in ye olden days in response to an e-mail. Tons of news (game reviews, upcoming release concerns, video games, music, etc.), Julian's DBZ ABCs, and a slew of your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the fantascarino *one-hundred-sixteen* episodes, now.

We had a pretty chill episode, but lots of good stuff in there. Andrew even showed up towards the end to give his two cents in response to a question that wasn't even directed towards him! Go figure. Seems we've completely forgotten that the FUNimation season four boxset and the Bardock/Trunks double-feature are coming out this week... I guess that says a lot about our interest in picking them up :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:53 am

Nice as always!

Will there be a contest coming up soon?

The topic [As I posted in the chat]:

When I was 11, I threw 2 GT Action Figures... Across a wall; a SSJ4 Goku and a Pan action figure, and they broke. If I can think of any others I'll post them here.

yamicell2501

Post by yamicell2501 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:20 am

lol I used to do some really silly things with DB names. In this case years ago, I would put DB characters in situations from the Simpsons. Like this little thing I (surprisingly) still have on a word document.

*Gohan, Bulma, and Krillin are about to take off to Namek to wish back everyone killed by the Saiyans*
Chi-Chi: Are you sure it’s ok to use this space ship.
Krillin: I’ll handle this one. Chi-Chi, we’ll be fine as long as we don’t land on that dreaded Planet of the Apes… Wait a second! Stature of Liberty… THAT WAS OUR PLANET!!!
*Krillin falls to the floor*
Krillin (crying on the ground, pounding his fists): YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP!! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

Heck, recently I sort of went overboard and actually put Simpsons' audio onto DB itself.
Allow me to show you the terror of perfection. - Perfect Cell (DBZ: Sparking Meteor)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:58 am

LOL, loved the Tennis Ball story Meri...As soon as you said tennis ball I was immediatley drawn back to the ToT TeenyBopper.
10:35 am: Time for gym class. During a round of tennis, you insist that you name your tennis ball "Chibi Trunks". You're tennis partner then finds someone else to play with.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Relating to Lance's question, this thread over at the Outpost Nine forums has some advice on what to do in a JET interview.

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 am

Great episode (*lurking listener here*). I just wanted to thank you guys for sharing the Oregon Trail story sent in. Laugh out loud stuff.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 am

A nice episode. It really brightened up my day after working for 10 farkin' hours.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:48 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:LOL, loved the Tennis Ball story Meri...As soon as you said tennis ball I was immediatley drawn back to the ToT TeenyBopper.
10:35 am: Time for gym class. During a round of tennis, you insist that you name your tennis ball "Chibi Trunks". You're tennis partner then finds someone else to play with.
Yay, evidence! I'm so glad that actually happened, cuz I really couldn't remember if it did or not. :lol: (wow, did I really use the wrong "your"? How embarrassing!)

stu576

Post by stu576 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Great podcast and thanks for answering my questions but when Julian tried to do the Scottish accent, I didn't like it also I don't sound like that lol

But really great podcast

XxArmageddonX7

Post by XxArmageddonX7 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Andrew has herpes. :lol:

Great episode.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Why must Andrew make me laugh out loud every time he appears in an episode?

:sigh: I guess we'll never find out why they give those vague answers in Japanese interviews. Though going off of what was said about them not wanting to repeat stuff that the fans already know, I would much rather they just repeat an already known fact instead of restating the question or giving a one word response.

As for the topic, I remember doing the same thing with Oregon Trail (and other games where you can change the names) with my friends' names, but never with DB characters. I can't really remember any stupid DB name things I've done myself, though. I mean, every now and then, me an' my friends would reference fusion and do the final pose with the two fingers, but that's not really name related.

And just to let ya know, the description of the episode on iTunes is from the last episode.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 am

I was going to point out the incorrect show description too, but DaemonCorps beat me to it.

When I played Oregon Trail, I named all my dudes after House of Leaves characters... Lude got dysentery, and The Minotaur was beaten by a snake, and argh none of you guys know what I'm talking about.

Certainly, many of you have done this one? Enter a fake name on those score display screens when you go bowling. I went with a friend once when I was about twelve.

Let's just say that Goten and Trunks are shitty bowlers.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Zackarotto wrote:When I played Oregon Trail, I named all my dudes after House of Leaves characters... Lude got dysentery, and The Minotaur was beaten by a snake, and argh none of you guys know what I'm talking about.
Vegeta died of dysentery. :(

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Zackarotto wrote:When I played Oregon Trail, I named all my dudes after House of Leaves characters... Lude got dysentery, and The Minotaur was beaten by a snake, and argh none of you guys know what I'm talking about.
I gave up on that book about a quarter of the way in. The basic idea of the plot was really interesting and scary, but it was told in the most boring possible way.

I used to play Worms with this friend of mine, and I made a team of worms that all had Dragon Ball villian names (except to be a jerk I used direct romanizations, "Seru", "Furiiza" and the like, so that my friend wouldn't catch on as fast). Anyway, as it turns out I am complete crap at Worms, so the most powerful villians that ever lived always got blown to smithereens.

I've always used the names of people I know for the characters in Final Fantasy, which ended up being really creepy in FF VII for a certain someone who ends up in certain state.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Herms wrote:I've always used the names of people I know for the characters in Final Fantasy, which ended up being really creepy in FF VII for a certain someone who ends up in certain state.
Was it Aeris? She's dead, you know.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Rocketman wrote: Was it Aeris? She's dead, you know.
Yeah, I know...that's why it was creepy.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Herms wrote:I gave up on that book about a quarter of the way in. The basic idea of the plot was really interesting and scary, but it was told in the most boring possible way.
Pff, sure... if you don't like reading academic dissertations on the study of film. :roll:

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:35 pm

I like episodes like these. They have fun, offbeat discussions. I'm sure there are others wondering, "How many more ways can we make Goku die today?"
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

demonbunny

Post by demonbunny » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 am

If I've done any thing silly with dbz names is name pets after them
like Dende,raditz and cargo for the hamsters
shenron for the bunny
and vegta,buu,krillin,roshi and uub for goldfish also piccolo for my puppy
and some i can't rember
Frieza: "I am the greatest fighter in the universe!"
-Goku: "Well technically, the universe may be infinite, in which case, there is the possibility of there being a greater fighter than you at the odds of 20,983 to 1 against, which really isn't that bad

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:25 am

That East coast pronunciation of 'Oregon' always gets to me....

The JET program discussion reminds me of the situation I was in a couple of years ago....I got stuck in the same waiting list purgatory as Julian. Because it's totally not a big deal to put your life on hold for six months while they decide whether to hire you or not :roll:

As for doing strange things with characters' names....well, I used to play a Mah Jong solitaire computer game, and since I was the only one in my family who played it, I put all the high score names as anime characters (including DBZ, of course). Since I cycled through characters from tons of series, and DBZ came pretty early on, I don't think many of the DBZ characters' scores held up for too long.

Also, in the game "Age of Empires III", for each country you play for, you get to name your explorer, and one of mine is named Vegeta ^_^
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube